Dacres Road / Silverdale Urban Renewal Plan

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Dacres Road / Silverdale Urban Renewal Plan

Post by Tim Lund »

I've been wondering recently whether our local civic societies have any plans here

This is a derelict relic of a largely outdated technology. Can we plan to get rid of it, before it becomes an icon?
John H

Re: Dacres Road / Silverdale Urban Renewal Plan

Post by John H »

Paint it Green.

Outdated it may be. When the newer technology fails (which it will in time) it remains a backup.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

John H wrote: 6 Feb 2019 10:49 Paint it Green.

Outdated it may be. When the newer technology fails (which it will in time) it remains a backup.
Maybe pigeon lofts would be a better alternative
michael

Post by michael »

Brockley Society turned a phone box into a mini library:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 18293.html

Perhaps something similar could be done if this phone box is no longer operational?
I would just be worried that there might be accusations of replacing one relic of a largely outdated technology with another.

The Forest Hill Society was recently granted funding by the Forest Hill Ward Assembly to create 'Book Nooks' in local shops and community buildings, which is probably a better way to encourage reading rather than the telephone boxes.

But this particular telephone box could be of historic importance. There aren't many KX300s left* and within such close proximity to Pacific from the Crystal Palace they could form the basis of a new conservation area covering the Dacres Estate.

(*No source for this statement and the whole sentence is not meant to be taken seriously).
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Are those etchings on the perspex ?

Can I see the image of a furry dog and something else - or is the box haunted ?

If it's haunted does that promote its likelihood of being listed locally ?

Or do we start another Master vs Urban Renewal Plan debate.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

rod taylor wrote: 6 Feb 2019 11:12 Turn it into flats. Something mid-century modern.
I agree that it should be flats. It has an important history so needs to be kept!
JohnPaschoud

Post by JohnPaschoud »

I'm expecting a Sydenham Soc campaign to save it, any second now...
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

JohnPaschoud wrote: 7 Feb 2019 17:38 I'm expecting a Sydenham Soc campaign to save it, any second now...
Careful you don't blink, John.....