Free guided walks on 28th & 29th. Quite special!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ian Bull

Free guided walks on 28th & 29th. Quite special!

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo everyone,

You may know that South East London's 'Green Chain Walk' passes through Sydenham. You might have wondered where it goes and why so many regard it as by far the best of London's long distance footpaths. Next weekend 'Walk London' is offering two, free, guided walks on the Green Chain that will demonstrate just how attractive the network is.

** Saturday 28th - The seventh Green Chain 'Megawalk'.

As I say here every year, at 21.5 miles this is London's ultimate walk. It's both the longest and longest established and passes through the finest landscape. Many people from Sydenham Town will agree as having taken part before they've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gently climbing to some of the highest points in the city, suburbia gives way to outstanding views and London's best woodland. If you have binoculars bring them, weather permitting you might see the North Sea! For much of the walk you won't know you are in any city, let alone the Metropolis. The course is steep in its latter parts, a packed lunch is essential and, you must be reasonably fit. If you can sustain three miles per hour this is the one walk that you should do. There's no need to book but do feel free to contact me for further information.

We'll start from Crystal Palace railway station at 09.15 prompt and finish at by the Thames at Erith by 18.30. Don't be put off by the length as almost everyone who starts does finish, the camaraderie keeps everyone going!

** Sunday 29th - Hidden delights of South East London.

If the Megawalk isn't enough there's a further dose of excellent walking in SE London on the very next day! Walk London only has six days of free guided walking each year so much of the Green Chain hasn't been covered before. This 10.5 mile walk goes puts that right.

We start from Eltham railway station at 12.00 and will finish at about 17.00 at Shooters hill for buses. They'll be a very pleasant two mile extension to Plumstead station for those who'd rather go home by train.

Firstly it's to Eltham Palace where the suburbs give way to one of the finest of vistas over London. In the nearby grounds of Eltham College we find the River Quaggy and follow it to Chinbrook Meadows where, with nationally recognised results, the river's flood relief scheme has seen it attractively returned to meandering naturally through marshland. We then climb into the dense Elmstead and Marvels Woods before turning towards Mottingham with its lake and nature reserve. A little road-walking takes us into the countryside as we encounter and traverse the extensive pre-urban field-pattern preserved at Avery Hill Park. Climbing again, through the gloriously verdant and ancient Oxleas Wood we arrive at the summit of Shooters Hill for more stunning views, as high as the highest part of Hampstead Heath. Again, there's no need to book but a packed lunch is essential and you must be able to sustain average walking pace. Feel very free to contact me in advance for further details.

Both walks are promoted by 'Walk London' which is a Transport for London project. There is more information on WL's home page which is...

http://www.walklondon.org.uk

I look forward to seeing you!

All the best

Ian Bull
bag lady

Re: Free guided walks on 28th & 29th. Quite special!

Post by bag lady »

Highly recommended!!!

I did this a few years ago, thank you Ian, met loads of lovely people and enjoyed hearing all about life and the history of the green chain walk. Fabulous day, camaraderie on the hills and lots of laughs!