Girton Road Car Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sophie

Re: Girton Road Car Park

Post by sophie »

Does anyone remember the encampment on Silverdale in the mid 90s? The caravans seemed to be there for ages and ages and one day they left and sadly, yes, there was an incredible amount of mess left behind.
Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

More travellers arrived over the weekend and, although many left again, there are still some travellers on the site. As a result, the Council is continuing with its action to evict and will shortly be lodging proceedings with the Court for their eviction.
ninam

Post by ninam »

They also started a fire last night in the car park. Seemingly just for fun. There appear to be even more vehicles there now than before. Glad to hear that Lewisham are on top of this.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sydres

Post by sydres »

Whilst I am pleased that the council are taking a pro-active approach to removing the travellers (which one would expect) I wonder if any measures can be put in place to stop this happening again? Some local residents have suggested placing a maximum height bar in the car park entrance? In addition, perhaps some funds could be allocated to increase security around the perimeter of the allotments? Any thoughts/ comments?

HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

Lewisham Comms↓
28 Oct 2013 11:50
More travellers arrived over the weekend and, although many left again, there are still some travellers on the site. As a result, the Council is continuing with its action to evict and will shortly be lodging proceedings with the Court for their eviction.

Any idea of how long this may take? Will it be this week? Thank you.

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

sydres wrote:Whilst I am pleased that the council are taking a pro-active approach to removing the travellers (which one would expect) I wonder if any measures can be put in place to stop this happening again? Some local residents have suggested placing a maximum height bar in the car park entrance? In addition, perhaps some funds could be allocated to increase security around the perimeter of the allotments? Any thoughts/ comments?

The issue is, I imagine, does one want every piece of open ground surrounded by concrete blocks or barriers? It would be an eyesore, surely?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So promise to move over weekend was a dud. What a surprise.

The Police should move them on .
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

It's a civil matter. Police have no powers in the absence of a court order.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How long does this take. They have been there nearly 2 weeks. Shame.
michael

Post by michael »

There is a similar problem in Perry Vale car park in Forest Hill. A bunch of trailers have turned up in the car park and there are people wandering around the place with locals giving them funny looks.
Hopefully the Babylon will sort it out. In the meantime SE23.com has reports of all the trouble they are causing. Where's that 'Go Home' van when you need it?
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

They were burning what looked like some toxic material today in the middle of the back car park. :shock:
claharper

Post by claharper »

The fire brigrade were very quick to respond, and put the fire out straightaway. Can't wait for them to leave!!! :O

sydres

Post by sydres »

Lewisham Council - please can we all receive an update on your efforts to remove these people from the car park. How much longer do we all have to wait?

claharper

Post by claharper »

After a sleepless night due to their loud music and partying until 3am....I couldn't agree more with your demand for an update.

The police advised last night that we should no longer call them, it is a council issue. I wonder though, had it been my tax paying neighbours p with music up so loud, would they have responded to our requests to tell them to turn the music down? I think so.

I'm so frustrated that they that they get to live by a seperate set of rules. I am beginning to think: lucky them, how liberating.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am sure 50 years ago the Police would have acted. What is happening to our Police when law abiding , tax paying residents lives are being made a misery.

More consideration should be given to the people suffering .
parker

Post by parker »

I thought the Co-op site came with the car park... Don't they have a say in the matter?

ninam

Post by ninam »

Yes, the music last night felt directed at residents, retaliation for the fire brigade brigade being called last night perhaps? There is a large area of ash and mess from the fire last night and the fact is their generators are whirring away every night anyway. Just now they have started up their music again. Initially I was trying to feel tolerant and patient, but this is an unreasonable nuisance now and the sooner a court order is obtained the better. In the meantime there is I'm pretty sure a council 24 hour noise team that can be called out if needed, but I intend to check this today.

claharper

Post by claharper »

Is there a better definition of ASBO!?

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree that the alleged music in itself is a serious offence. How many innocent people are troubled by this racket.

If home owner or tenant was making such a racket I am sure , quite rightly , action would be taken.

Some people seem to think they are above the law and indeed it would appear they may be correct.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Certainly worth calling the , I think, Enviromental team about noise nuisance .
We used to have some people nearby who were regular nuisances - huge understatement - and the Lewisham team were brilliant in their response.
It helps if as many neighbours as possible call to report the nuisance . You certainly have my sympathy .
Good morning
Nigel