No Trains before 9am / Weather Watch

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Re: No Trains before 9am / Weather Watch

Post by admin »

G-Man wrote:My good lady tells me there is a train scheduled for London Bridge - going via Norwood Junction - so going back on yourself - at 10:57.
They cancelled the 10.57 ages ago. We are still looking at 11.46 without great hope.

Its appalling National Rail can't run any metropolitan service. TfL appear to be doing much better. They have some issues on the surface sections of the underground but are running most. They are even running the overground from New Cross Gate on the section of line they control.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

parklife wrote:wife just rang from penge east - no trains for 2 hours at least
They now appear to be running to Orpington. The first has left Victoria and is expected around 11.30. SouthEastern have just tweeted that they will be running to Victoria but none have appeared on the departure board yet.

Southern have tweeted they are running fast from Norwood Junction only. The 11.46 has thus been cancelled.

Admin
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm looking at the 75 bus and DLR option - need to be in town by 1pm. Anyone else tried this? The 75s I've seen look packed running up Mayow Road, maybe I'll trot down to Sydenham Road to pick it up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rachael wrote:I'm looking at the 75 bus and DLR option - need to be in town by 1pm. Anyone else tried this? The 75s I've seen look packed running up Mayow Road, maybe I'll trot down to Sydenham Road to pick it up.
The 176 & Bakerloo may be a better option. The 176 starts from Penge so there will be seats from Sydenham and it is more frequent. The 75 starts from Croydon so will be likely rammed by Sydenham even if they let you on.

Admin
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

How long does the 176 take to get to the Elephant, roughly?

In other news, National Rail show trains from Lower Sydenham delayed rather than cancelled. Is that just hopeful thinking on their part?
Last edited by Rachael on 28 Oct 2013 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

admin wrote:
G-Man wrote:My good lady tells me there is a train scheduled for London Bridge - going via Norwood Junction - so going back on yourself - at 10:57.
They cancelled the 10.57 ages ago. We are still looking at 11.46 without great hope.

Its appalling National Rail can't run any metropolitan service. TfL appear to be doing much better. They have some issues on the surface sections of the underground but are running most. They are even running the overground from New Cross Gate on the section of line they control.

Admin
Loads of trees are down. Someone at Eden Park tweeted a pic of a tree down right next to the platform.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Rachael wrote:How long does the 176 take to get to the Elephant, roughly?

In other news, National Rail show trains from Lower Sydenham delayed rather than cancelled. Is that just hopeful thinking on their part?
50 mins from Cobbs on a reasonable day. Today however...
michael

Post by michael »

Manwithaview1 wrote: Today however...
The roads were quieter than normal. Lots of people not bothering to drive and half term helps. The bus took 40 minutes from Forest Hill to Waterloo this morning, which is faster than I expect for 7:30am.
The only problem was that the buses were quite full of people who had already got on the bus in Sydenham and Penge. It would be much better if people in Sydenham could stay at home so that there is more space on the buses for people living in Forest Hill. Similarly, on the way home it would be helpful if nobody gets on the bus before it crosses the river so that I can have a seat and finish my book. :wink:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Meanwhile, don't even think of using the TfL journey planner - they last updated their information on the Overground last night. :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All trains have been cancelled from/to Sydenham for at least the next 3 hours. So coming back may also be tricky.
Penge East to Orpington is ok. But none to Victoria yet.
Lower Sydenham is just confusing.

Bus, bus, bus ... or, err, bike?

Admin
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Bike it was :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I drove. Twenty-five minutes to Covent Garden. Yes, it'll cost me, but I got here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HURRAH! Trains are RUNNING to Sydenham. The first Overground has left New Cross Gate for Sydenham and West Croydon. Another is about to leave Crystal Palace for Sydenham and H&I.

There is a London Bridge to Victoria train scheduled but these have been pulled before - so we'll wait to see the whites of its buffers before we get terribly excited. Stay tuned.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Southern are re-opening the London Bridge to Victoria loop.
Trains are now running from Penge East to Victoria.
No trains to/from LOWER Sydenham.

Looks like there may be a tolerable service home tonight for the heroes who made it by any other means this morning.

Admin
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I didn't go to work today.... I stayed in bed until 10 o'clock then had a nice leisurely breakfast.

Lucky it was my day off...
bensonby

Re: No Trains tomorrow before 9am

Post by bensonby »

admin wrote:[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ROotos8gU[/youtubes]
I recognise that voice...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pretty chaotic again this morning - Penge East to Vic trains cancelled and broken down train stuck on platform two .
I would like to propose a vote of thanks to Admin for stirling work during a time of national crisis yesterday . Fair play to you and well done
A very good morning
Nigel

CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I went to work yesterday by car, it was real scary. I left at around 06:00, on my journey I was attacked by some of the new fabric covered garden furniture which flew down from a fourth floor balcony, a huge branch, which I managed to avoid with some fantastic driving, a fence panel, a couple of road signs and a tree blocking the A23 where tree fellers were cutting a gap in the felled giant, which took around 20 minutes to get past.

If I'm honest it was terrifying and I reckon next time I shall avoid any kind of travel.