Walk to school Week starts May 21

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
reggie

Walk to school Week starts May 21

Post by reggie »

Just to let you know that it's Walk To School Week starting May 21.
The campaign is supported by the suburban pirate, the satirical broadcaster, which is working with Living Streets to encourage a safer and healthier walk to school.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

You've touched upon a real bug-bear of mine. I am at present looking after a little boy who goes to nursery 40 mins walk from me and I walk him there and back (in his buggy when he gets tired) all the way. I do get the bus back to go collect him for times sake but the amount of teenagers (And fit adults too) who get on the bus for two or three stops is amazing. It drives me mad. Even my 40 minute walk can be quicker than waiting for a bus sometimes. As it is it only saves me about 20 mins. I think that bus passes for teens should be restricted to the amount of distance from school, in summer anyway. I walked miles to school from the age of 5, with an adult till I was 11, and I can tell you there were far fewer overweight kids around then. (About 100 years ago).

Savvy