16 brand new trees

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Maria

16 brand new trees

Post by Maria »

..... are due to arrive tomorrow - AND will be planted in Sydenham then!

I think we are badly in need of uplifting news after what has been the fairly frustrating doings and undoings (followed by more doings immediately succeeded by further undoings) of the other work in progress - so I thought I would share what the tree guy on the road (!) told me a few minutes ago.

Now this leads us to... lights! More of that in the old thread which I will resurrect now.
Nigel

Re: 16 brand new trees

Post by Nigel »

That is fantastic news Maria and long awaited .
In an earlier rambling I expressed my fondness for the whitebeam . Under the circumstances I am happy to embrace , even hug , any tree that comes to adorn the high street.
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The trees are about two thirds planted - what a difference they make already . Can't wait to see them in leaf next spring .
I think the raised stone planters they are in will also prevent cars and lorries backing over them which so often happens .
A very good afternoon
Nigel

sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

This is also very exciting news!

love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

We Could not believe our eyes yesterday evening on our way to Gurkha (which had recently changed its wine list and it now has a super selection, so happy), to see the trees planted!!!!!!! Even tho it was rainy and cold, I/we checked every tree all the way down to CoOp and up, we just stood there looking at them (like if we've never seen a tree before)..... Soooooo happy!!! I just hope their little roots will be happy in our Sydenham soil and bring us many more happy moment looking and admiring our new trees from season to season!!!!
Thank you all very much, who has been involved in this operation!!!!

Ps. In case there was not enough of "happy word" in this post, I thought I add a few more!!

Happy happy happy happy :-)

Good evening
Love-Sydenham

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

How about a happy tree photo? For us no longer there.

CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

love-sydenham wrote:We Could not believe our eyes yesterday evening on our way to Gurkha (which had recently changed its wine list and it now has a super selection, so happy), to see the trees planted!!!!!!! Even tho it was rainy and cold, I/we checked every tree all the way down to CoOp and up, we just stood there looking at them (like if we've never seen a tree before)..... Soooooo happy!!! I just hope their little roots will be happy in our Sydenham soil and bring us many more happy moment looking and admiring our new trees from season to season!!!!
Thank you all very much, who has been involved in this operation!!!!

Ps. In case there was not enough of "happy word" in this post, I thought I add a few more!!

Happy happy happy happy :-)

Good evening
Love-Sydenham
HAHA! I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away...... :lol:
montjuic56

Post by montjuic56 »

The solitary tree in Venner square looks rather pathetic. I hope they come back an plant a few more even if we have to wait another year for it to happen!!

robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

It may be premature to say "transformation" but they have totally changed the feel of the street.
montjuic56

Post by montjuic56 »

There are no trees between Newlands Park Road and Kirkdale roundabout, are they coming at a later date?
dickp

Post by dickp »

I notice each tree has a plastic pipe next to it, sticking out of the ground.

I wonder what an earth that pipe might be for.....
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

dickp wrote:I notice each tree has a plastic pipe next to it, sticking out of the ground.

I wonder what an earth that pipe might be for.....
It's a watering tube, innit? Gets the water right down to the root ball, which is really important in a new tree. Have a look at any small 'municipal' tree, they all have them.
dickp

Post by dickp »

darn it. there was me thinking it might be a power supply cable holder.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Think they look great. And they're bare (obviously) and small (at the moment) and they still make the place look much better. High street looking good. It just needs 'some' of the shops on the high street to buck their ideas up and make an effort. And that f****g (sorry - but it's getting ridiculous) Greyhound development/new bar etc. to sort itself out. We're so close.

Well done, though, Sydenham regeneation project - it's not perfect but it's a project that has actually come to fruition. The shops and us - the punters - need to make it work now.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Extremely well said Sydenhamboy, the trees are such an improvement and a finishing touch to all of the other improvements in the high street.
It is a great platform from which to build and your point is well made that it is up to all of us to make it work.
A very good morning
Nigel

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why don't you ask Mork?
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

They're gorgeous. So excited to see the high street in springtime now.

They soften the place up beautifully.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Any chance of a few photos please Paul?