NO SYDENHAM TRAINS SUNDAY

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

NO SYDENHAM TRAINS SUNDAY

Post by admin »

Overground and Southern are taking their usual holiday on Sunday 1st December. The bridge works just north of Norwood Junction will continue to disrupt railtraffic until the end of January 2014.

Southeastern are reporting no disruptions on the Lower Sydenham or Penge/Sydenham Hill line.

Admin
Rachael

Re: NO SYDENHAM TRAINS SUNDAY

Post by Rachael »

Who is it who are not providing the service, though? TfL? London Overground? Southern? Or Network Rail? I think all the rail companies will say it's down to Network Rail. And Network Rail will say they are not responsible for issuing travel cards.

I have been emailing London Overground asking that we be given better notice of closures after the spate of no-go weekends. A monthly email to go along with the weekly one would be nice. They said ask TfL. And to check the website myself for the month ahead.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Two of my bugbears on this issue are:

The fact that Southern's "live" departure app simply lies. It reports phantom trains that aren't running.

The fact that Southern fail to make it possible to understand, from their website, which lines are - and are not - open. I've repeatedly asked them to put a map of the engineering works on their website, so I don't have to read through endless narrative text, which explains affected routes. These maps clearly exist, because they are put on posters outside stations. Have they done so? No. Could they? Of course.

Feel free to nag them on Twitter - @SouthernRailUK - see they fob you off with the "we'll pass your comments onto our communications team" excuse.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Rod, try their Delay Repay form on Southerns website. I'm not sure how much you'll get back on a weekly season ticket but I got £15 in the post today from them for the cancellation of trains after the storm at the end if October. Mind you, my season ticket is an annual one and the refund is based on your ticket's value.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Rachael wrote:Who is it who are not providing the service, though? TfL? London Overground? Southern? Or Network Rail? I think all the rail companies will say it's down to Network Rail. And Network Rail will say they are not responsible for issuing travel cards.

I have been emailing London Overground asking that we be given better notice of closures after the spate of no-go weekends. A monthly email to go along with the weekly one would be nice. They said ask TfL. And to check the website myself for the month ahead.
*Rail geek mode* The whole rail network is a mind boggle, I mean train companies don't even own the trains and stations they run! Network Rail is paid by all rail companies in England, Scotland and Wales for track usage and maintenance, and therefore NR says when works will happen. However, between New Cross Gate and Dalston Junction only, Transport for London owns the track and they decide when works happen. TfL don't actually operate London Overground, its actually franchised like other National Rail services but more in the way the buses are, run by ultimately by Deutsche Bahn. However the operator is told by TfL how many trains to run, the branding etc.
I'm not sure how much you'll get back on a weekly season ticket but I got £15 in the post today from them for the cancellation of trains after the storm at the end if October.
That was most likely because it was cancelled at such short notice, if it was planned a few weeks in advance, then I doubt you would have got that money back!

With ticketing, I've read the Conditions of Carriage found here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/do ... /NRCOC.pdf on National Rail's website and surprise, surprise no mention of your rights when engineering is happening. But I would imagine because it was planned normally at least six weeks in advance and rail replacement buses are available you are not entitled to a refund. We'd all like less suspensions, but if it means we keep the title of Europe's safest railway and see the Thameslink Programme's full benefits, it is worth it in the long run.

Sorry for going on a bit!