278 - 280 Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

278 - 280 Kirkdale

Post by Pat Trembath »

Some good news for Sydenham and to pre-empt any speculation:

On 22 November the owners of 278-280 Kirkdale (vacant site adjacent to Sydenham DIY) advised:

"With all of the planning finally approved, the Kirkdale site is progressing very well now, albeit you may not think so as you walk past! I am hoping that the piling will be done prior to Christmas, the basement and ground floor constructed by the beginning of February and the timber frame (coming all the way from Wales!) up and 'water tight' by March. By June I'd like to think that there'll be finished flats being officially launched, with the wine bar let and 'in full swing' give or take a few weeks."

This morning pile-driving has begun.
G-Man

Re: 278 - 280 Kirkdale

Post by G-Man »

This sounds great.

I do hope they don't just sell wine. I'd love to see them embrace the Craft Beer revolution, having some excellent Craft Beer on keg with taps coming out of the wall like the Old Red Cow but still serving lovely wine and other treats.

Please pass this on Pat, I know it would really attract people to the place. I'm happy to help with brewery contacts too.

Cheers

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is potentially a really good addition to the high street.

Hopefully it will work with the finished greyhound to offer choice and a little aspiration and help drive a better nighttime economy. Linking the dots between the Dolphin, The Greyhound and That's amore is a positive thing.

I loved Gordons Wine Bar in Embankment and Mr Lawrences in Crofton Park was always good. Lets just hope it lives up to the promise.
parker

Post by parker »

Let's hope it doesn't become a Tesco or Sainsbury's @marymck ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mr Parker
That comment was cheaper than a Primark tee shirt, made in a Phillipine sweatshop, then reduced by 50% and finally a further pound reduced because of a slight tear.
What on earth were you insinuating?
Good evening
Nigel

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I guess parker's point could have been made better by saying we have here investors about to deliver a mix of housing and licensed premises where they see they are wanted. It's what duly regulated market forces can do, and are doing in the current regime. The only issue, really, is why it has taken so long.

Do we know who the investors are? If so, we could all pass on our thoughts and appreciation directly, without having to trouble Pat with filtering whatever gets posted for onward transmission. Or they could be invited to read and contribute themselves.

Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The investors are aware of my posting; I have been waiting for the pile driving to start before posting.

When they read Sydenham Town Forum I'm sure they will be pleased to find a welcome for their plans from local residents.
marymck

Post by marymck »

How nice to have investors! It's nice to welcome someone wanting to develop a site and taking into account the desires of the community, rather than those just looking to make a quick buck, regardless of what will be lost. Perhaps this will make Gerry Dowd see what he's missing out on in terms of good will.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I am very happy indeed to hear this news. And I'm sure if they sell quality wine I and husband will be regular customers. We've been wishing for a wine bar for ages. Thanks for sharing the good news Pat.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

"Wine bars are called wine bars 'cos they're full of people whining"
Alexi Sayle

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Does this mean we have to rename the town pub?

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Tim Lund wrote:I guess parker's point could have been made better by saying we have here investors about to deliver a mix of housing and licensed premises where they see they are wanted. It's what duly regulated market forces can do, and are doing in the current regime. The only issue, really, is why it has taken so long.

Do we know who the investors are? If so, we could all pass on our thoughts and appreciation directly, without having to trouble Pat with filtering whatever gets posted for onward transmission. Or they could be invited to read and contribute themselves.

From this document on a recent planning application - DC/13/84964, it looks as if the investors are Tranquil Homes, Challenge House, 616 Mitcham Road, Croydon, CR0 3AA.

According to Duedil their new worth as of 31 March this year was £312, with total liabilities of £641,066. Here's how their net worth has changed over the years:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I put a brief report and some pix here: http://sydenham.org.uk/building-starts-278280-kirkdale/

Admin
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

sparticus wrote:"Wine bars are called wine bars 'cos they're full of people whining"
Alexi Sayle

...Ever had a multiple orgasm? - Yes it made me sick
I once had a hamster but I killed it with a brick... from the same monologue
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Pat Trembath wrote:Some good news for Sydenham and to pre-empt any speculation:

On 22 November the owners of 278-280 Kirkdale (vacant site adjacent to Sydenham DIY) advised:

"With all of the planning finally approved, the Kirkdale site is progressing very well now, albeit you may not think so as you walk past! I am hoping that the piling will be done prior to Christmas, the basement and ground floor constructed by the beginning of February and the timber frame (coming all the way from Wales!) up and 'water tight' by March. By June I'd like to think that there'll be finished flats being officially launched, with the wine bar let and 'in full swing' give or take a few weeks."

This morning pile-driving has begun.
Was this correct? Are there any photos? I couldn't see any evidence when I looked yesterday.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

So far no sign of pile driving

I've emailed the developer's agents asking them for updates.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

For information from the developers:

The pile driving that was being carried out a few days ago was purely exploratory ground works. The piling proper should now be starting in mid Jan, everything just takes so much longer than one hopes!

The developers state that they underestimated the implications of releasing the news/proposed timescales for works at 278-280 Kirkdale to me, in the sense of not realising the huge amount of positive interest it would generate through the posting. Whilst very encouraged by people's positivity and intrigue regretfully, being a small developer, there are not the facilities nor time to spare time for blogging with half of Sydenham!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Mid Jan for proper piling might be optimist as frosty weather and concrete aren't happy partners. Piles can actually be set in ultra cold/damp weather, but might cost quite a bit more than sinking "normal" piles (there are several types) in non-frosty weather, so I'd understand if their projected timetable was "reviewed". That's not criticism, just acknowledging that building works are rarely plain sailing in winter.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Perhaps they intend to frack.?

Who knows what goes on behind fences.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Hi all - there doesn't seem to be much movement on this plot of land? Is the wine bar still being built? Would be a shame if the plans came to nothing….