Monopoly of high street space?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
goonerchamp

Monopoly of high street space?

Post by goonerchamp »

I've been out today and noticed that the flower stall have now taken over the square outside Nat West selling christmas trees - is this a pre-arranged thing or is Ange just taking the liberties knowing that the people who manage the high street are either powerless or don't care about our high street enough to manage it ? - where is this years High Street tree going if anywhere ? - I would have thought the square outside the natwest a perfect location given the regular spot has been renovated and I don't think this would be idea location now? - Im not anti the flower stall but their current location just plonked in the middle of the pavement outside the RSPCA shop is in itself a joke !!
Nigel

Re: Monopoly of high street space?

Post by Nigel »

Angie is an asset to the hight street and I like the new location of her stall.
I am sure the Christmas tree place is only temporary and I am sure he has the go ahead from the Town Centre manager .

Instead of highlighting Angie do you not wonder about all of those awful shops that sell bowls of fruit I'm unweighted amounts off of shanty looking trestles outside al sorts of shops ?
I wonder what permissions they have and what they bring to the high street?
I get all of my fruit and veg from Fresh and Fruity - a proper shop who make a reql contribution to the high street
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well said Nigel,
Angie is an asset to Sydenham, she is consistent, a well know local personality,she is the type of business that should be encouraged,always happy,always willing to stop and have a chat,Sydenham needs 10 more of her ilk to make it a pleasant place to shop.
Criticise the ugly pound shops, the betting shops, the shoddy shops where the owners couldn't care less, leave the assets alone. :evil:

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Annie and Nigel.

I thought her name was Mrs Dearie , as that is what she calls everyone.

How can a fine lady like that be a problem when you have pay day shops, betting office , pie shops , tat shops. Need one go on.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Are her christmas trees any good? Decent price? I usually go to the Secret Garden in CP but thought I might go a bit more local this year...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I would have thought a bit early for a tree to be at its best over Christmas. Always good to support local traders.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We bought our tree two years ago from Angie. It was lovely.

We haven't bought one this year due to space and toddler issues (we made one instead) but would go back to her.

I think it's great that Angie has the space in the square. I don't see what else we could have in there an a day to day basis as it's sandwiched between two businesses that don't have any hope of capitalising on it, although something fun like a kids merry go around would be great during summer/term time etc.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Bought a tree off Angie every year we've lived here. Always really good

Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Angie has rented the pitch from the Council for the month of December to sell Christmas trees. This space is available for other stall holders who wish to take a pich as it is now fitted with electric points.

Anyone interested should contact the Street Trading team:
https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/ ... fault.aspx
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think the Christmas tree stall looks lovely in the pocket square. Very neat and festive. I mentioned it to my husband as soon as I got home, telling him I found it quite cheering as I waited, and waited, and waited for the lights to change on Sydenham Road.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Chris how about the tree for the high street? - also is the tent in the middle of the pavement permanant? - I don't mind her having the stall and nor should I but why the middle of the pavement?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The 20 foot Christmas tree is arriving this week and will be installed in the vacant plot on Queensthorpe Square. Skanka will install the tree lights ready to illuminate our high street at 4pm on Sunday.

Many thanks to the Cooperative Funeralcare for sponsoring the Christmas tree this year and ordering from Angie. A case of traders collaborating with each other to support the high street.

I will put up a new topic on the Sydenham Christmas Extravaganza taking place from 10am to 5pm on Sunday.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I too bought my Christmas Tree from Angie, but the latest SydSoc e-newsletter is making me feel guilty as a complacent upholder of the status quo
Give homeless people a gift this Christmas
Buy your Christmas tree from the local King's Church project and all profit goes to the Jericho Road Project which has been helping rough sleepers and housing vulnerable people in south east London for over ten years.

Buying a Christmas tree is simple but has a huge impact. When you buy your King’s Christmas Tree, you become part of a growing movement of people who refuse to accept the status quo. Every King’s Christmas Tree has the potential to create a happier today and a brighter tomorrow for the most vulnerable in our communities.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've been buying my tree from the King's Church Project (formerly Caring Christmas Trees) for many years. I get an eight-foot tree which is cut just a day or so before they deliver it to me. It arrives still damp from the forest. You can also pick up a tree from them at the retail park in Catford (the one with PC World and Curry and now defunct Comet) on Fridays and Saturdays throughout December. You have to order in advance, though.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

What a load of whinging bah humbug twoddle.

Angie's trees are great. She even gave us one the other year and we paid her a few days later as we didn't have any cash on us. They're lovely and I advise everyone to support her.

I also think the new location of her flower stall is fab. A lot more central. Good on her.

G-man
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

G-man on the money again - good luck to that homeless charity but Tim spare us your angst about buying from Angie .
Why not just give the charity a fiver and get your tree from Angie .

Remember , Angie is not just for Christmas .....
A very good evening
Nigel
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I had absolutely no angst buying from Angie - that was irony.

I was also moved to buy from her (again) because I saw one of my near-neighbours helping her out on her stall.

In the spirit of things not just being for Christmas, I was also going to suggest another way in which everyone, without having to pay out anything, could support the homeless throughout the year, and for generations to come :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Just to hijack the thread for a moment while we are talking about homelessness, can I remind people about the Stories for Homes book, raising money for Shelter? Money raised so far already in the four figures. Official launch party for the paperback is at the Bookseller Crow on Friday, details here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 301#p88301

We are doing a social media 'book blast' today to drive up sales on Amazon. More sales means not just more money for Shelter, but more profile on Amazon, and hits on Google, which means even more money for Shelter… just saying. If you are so inclined, look for the Twitter hashtag #StoriesForHomes, which we hope to have trending by the end of the day.

Okay, back to flower stalls and general humbugging.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tim
You attempting irony is a bit like me trying deploy Azerbaijani traditional dance but your kindness transcends and SE26 is awash with warm fuzzy feeling .
A very good evening
Nigel
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

http://m.virginmoneygiving.com/mt/uk.vi ... t_redirect

I have only posted this because Tim & Rachael posted about Homelessness, :twisted:

Join in, you know you want to!
Tim did ! :D