Pavilion closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: Pavilion closed

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Nor do I , MWAV.

Not sure relevance to The Pavillion staying open but that has not bothered you in the past.
You have voted for them. They are Conservative and Boris Johnson.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rubbish

I can honestly say that I have never voted for a schoolboy , whether public or private.

How about an apology MWAV
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Rubbish

I can honestly say that I have never voted for a schoolboy , whether public or private.

How about an apology MWAV
So Boris was never a schoolboy?

Interesting

Still at least by ignoring the cocaine taking you admit voting for cocaine takers
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Of course Boris, like me and you were schoolboys.

You inferred I was voting for people who were schoolboys. Boris is not a schoolboy and has not been one for decades.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Of course Boris, like me and you were schoolboys.

You inferred I was voting for people who were schoolboys. Boris is not a schoolboy and has not been one for decades.
:roll:

Poor deflection Eagle
Toots

Post by Toots »

Not sure what's wrong with voting for a former public school boy? Are they not welcome in Sydenham? Much rather that than an inane bunch of debt racking idiots who a also attended public school (many of the Labour Party of the early 2000's) and have now left us in the mess we're in - Oh and sold the family jewels whilst they were at it!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The salient point Toots is that MWAV did not say former , or ex , but implied we were voting for current schoolboys. I know Labour wants to reduce the voting age to 10 , but surely they would not go for schoolboy MP's.

Not sure what this has to do with the Pub formerly known as The Railway.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I've noticed in all this chat about pubs in Sydenham (and in other threads) there is never really any chat about "Foxes" or "The Bricklayers arms", which although is maybe ever so slightly closer to Forest Hill is definately closer then The Dulwich Woodhouse. Any reviews!?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I assume you mean The Fox and Hounds. Have not been there since early 70's. Used to be very sedate with elderly lady playing the piano. Two bars.

God knows what they may have done to it.

The Brick, was in the late 60's and 70's the Premier Pub by far in the neighbourhood. Both for good beer and atmosphere.

Used to be a piano and the amazing Police choir from over the road. Their Sloop John B was a classic.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Toots wrote:Not sure what's wrong with voting for a former public school boy? Are they not welcome in Sydenham? Much rather that than an inane bunch of debt racking idiots who a also attended public school (many of the Labour Party of the early 2000's) and have now left us in the mess we're in - Oh and sold the family jewels whilst they were at it!
You mean the spendthrift Labour Party that reduced our debt to GDP by 17%? :lol:
perryman

Post by perryman »

William Pitt the younger was hardly more than a school boy when he was made prime minister a few year ago.
As a Tory/New-Tory/Whig I'm sure his policies would have found favour with some posters. :)
Liked his port...
Toots

Post by Toots »

Yes of course MWAV - thanks for that. Yes, how could I forget, this was when Blair decided to continue the Major Conservative government spending policies. Odd how after the 2000 Spending Review our annual borrowing hit £20billion isn't it?! I wonder if that was anything to do with those numerous trips to Goldman Sachs HQ for a deal on toxic debt or perhaps the almost childish approach to selling our gold reserves? Personally I think a public schoolboy in shorts could have done a better job!
parker

Post by parker »

JMLF wrote:I've noticed in all this chat about pubs in Sydenham (and in other threads) there is never really any chat about "Foxes"
Eagle wrote:I assume you mean The Fox and Hounds.
Eagle, the Fox and Hounds is now called ''Foxes'' as JMLF correctly quoted.

I think the name should've been changed to ''The Fox'' (if it had to change at all) sounds much more modern and catchy.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They should not be allowed to change pub names, The fox and Hounds was a good name, why change it at all? Who remembers the Ferkin pubs? The poor Greyhound!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They should not be allowed to change pub names, The fox and Hounds was a good name, why change it at all? Who remembers the Fewterer & Ferkin? The poor Greyhound!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite right Annie.

Pub names have a noble history. Foxes is terrible. Will always be The Fox and Hounds in my book.
stuart

Post by stuart »

rod taylor wrote:I did a slow pub crawl in Marlborough, Wiltshire over Christmas and there are 11 pubs spread over just 2 streets.
Respect - you were still able to keep count!

Stuart
michael

Post by michael »

Railway Tavern, Old Bell, Albert, Lion, Dolphin, Fox, Bricklayers, Woodhouse - that's 8 pints to get you started in SE26. Perhaps these are just more popular / better run than Pavilion, Talma, Duke of Edinburgh, Man of Kent, Two Halves, Windmill, Woodman, Greyhound. Or possibly they are just worth more as supermarkets, housing, and estate agents.
It is rather sad, and there is now a serious gap between Dolphin and Fox, but there are other parts of Lewisham with far fewer pubs (e.g. Downham and Catford).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have received this from the police:

We can confirm that following two incidents on 20 and 21 December 2013 which resulted in arrests an application of a temporary suspension of the Pavilion Public House’s licence was made by police which will be reviewed on 16 January 2014

Admin
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Sounds like something serious has happened. Hopefully things will be clearer after the 16th.