Pavilion closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: Pavilion closed

Post by G-Man »

They seem to be advertising for cleaners and bar staff in the window now. So not sure what's happening there.

G-Man
marymck

Post by marymck »

This was in yesterday's South London Press ...
A South London boozer is set to have its licence reviewed following a spate of antisocial behaviour.
Lewisham Council’s licensing committee will consider the application by the borough’s police for a temporary suspension of the Pavilion pub’s licence next week.
It follows two serious incidents at the pub in Kirkdale, Sydenham before Christmas.
A 59-year old man was assaulted at around 9.15 pm on December 20. He received facial injuries in the attack and was taken to a South-east London hospital.
When officers went to the pub on December 21 to make enquiries about the incident they were told that another disturbance had taken place while they were on route to the scene.
A 54-year old man was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice on December 23 in connection with the trouble and has been bailed to a date in January pending further enquiries.
A 31-year old man suspected of having been involved in the assault that happened on December 20 was arrested on December 28 on suspicion of GBH. He has been bailed to a date in February pending further enquiries.
As a result of both incidents, an application for a temporary suspension of the Pavilion’s licence was made, which will be reviewed on Thursday, January 16.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

marymck wrote:This was in yesterday's South London Press ...
And a couple of days ago in Sydenham Town http://sydenham.org.uk/two-pubs-go-dark/ :)

Admin
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

its a shame this place is still dodgy after the money spent on the refit. Assume if it gets its license back it will be subject to it sorting its image out. If it does there could be a good little collection of pubs at this end of the high street, assuming the wine bar opposite and the greyhound open.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Anyone know how to find out what happened today at the licensing meeting?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am expecting a message back from the police in the morning but as I'm in the Midlands for the day I may not post till Saturday.

Admin
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I noticed on my way back from the Tasty Fish Bar that the Pavilion has now reopened .
I was in a distracted state due to the presence of 2 portions of cod and chips , keeping warm on the heater of the car , but it seemed to be open as usual
A very good evening
Nigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes the suspension was lifted subject to some extra licensing requirements which I have included in the updated report:
http://sydenham.org.uk/two-pubs-go-dark/

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for the update.

I notice that one of the "additional requirements" of the re-opening is "* Challenge 21 age proof scheme to be operated." What is the significance of age 21, as opposed to 18? Just curious is all. Ta.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I think the idea is to challenge anyone , they think , looks 21 or younger , to prove they are 18 or over.

Wetherspoon have operated this for years.

For some strange reason I have never been challenged.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Ah I see, ta.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Eagle wrote:
For some strange reason I have never been challenged.
I'd seek a second opinion on that statement if I were you. :lol:
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

The thing that bugs me is the refurb has done bugger all really.

It's a shame as Taylor Walker the operator have some really good pubs in town offering great food and great beer by all accounts. It's a shame they haven't really invested in turning the Sydenham operation around.

G-Man
parker

Post by parker »

When, and only when The Pavilion begin to charge £5 a pint will the clientele change... Why would it change otherwise. It's a horrible little place where you feel like you're being stared at.

The refit isn't even that nice. The bar hasn't changed at all, I only know for walking in there to use the toilet a few times.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

How? Close it. New management. Re-furb the re-furb - lighter paint - wooden floor - uncover the windows. Bar the trouble makers. Start doing some decent food. Job done.

It comes down to the management really, and, as I said, Taylor Walker seeing things need to change.

G-Man
parker

Post by parker »

Price will be the main thing that will remove it's current patrons, and yes management would definitely need to change. I don't think Taylor Walker care particularly much. Not all pub firms want to be the same as the likes of Antic et al...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The Dolphin managed a complete change of patrons a few years ago.

Before the make over it was terrible.

It can be done , but not easy.
parker

Post by parker »

Eagle wrote:The Dolphin managed a complete change of patrons a few years ago.
Yep, upped the prices amongst other things.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

True Parker

But unfortunately that is part of the remedy.

Until the old punters are gone , new non trouble makers will not attempt to enter.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think you'll find Enterprise upped their prices. Because of huge debt they are known for being really harsh on publicans in their charging methods. The Dolphin charges the same as the Golden Lion - both are Enterprise Inns but very different boozers.

G-Man