Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by leenewham »

I do! I feel like I'm being stalked with everything I've ever written under review!
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Dear all

Some views from a dispassionate observer.

Why not take the amazing energy and passion thats going into debating these and other issues on these pages and put it into sorting out the mess instead? What matters is the right outcome for the Sydenham community. We are where we are. If PureLake wont play ball then why not try something like what the folks in Nunhead have done - http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/

If I was PL and Lewisham Council and a similar proposal for the Greyhound came along i would bite their hand off. And re the site being too small, take a look at BeerRebellion in Gipsy Hill. http://www.lateknightsbrewery.co.uk/1/p ... llion.html It was packed on Sunday night.

Can I also issue a challenge to anyone who wants to reply to this post setting out 100 reasons why I'm wrong, need my head examining or worse! As an alternative, lets apply a "why not?" or "what if?" approach. What this needs is some fresh and creative thinking which leads to some action to give Sydenham an additional community hub (like ivy house above) that it deserves.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

First an apology to Lee - my last posting on this thread was too aggressive, and I've only just looked in again, to see Juliet's suggestion of a 2 day sin bin, which it seems I accepted without realising it.

Lee - you're not being stalked - it's just what all of us must expect if we put our names and views in the public domain. It's something MPs and local councillors are much more aware of than most of us, and how it works out in practice has been transformed by the internet. If you write things which seem inconsistent, it's not unreasonable for anyone to point them out. This is how I respond to Michael doing the same to me
I don't think there is any fault in your understanding here. I have simply changed my mind.

I'm actually quite impressed that Michael has brought out this old post of mine, and as always by his command of detail.
As it happens, my last reference back to what you wrote on the KFC thread didn't make the point I wanted very well, but I'm not about to have another go now.

Nature Boy - I have actually thought about this as a solution, and I'd be happy to see a community group and the developers coming to some such deal. If it's reflected in the rent, I've no doubt that a small pub could be viable, and Canvas & Cream is an even nearer example of a successful 'community funded' enterprise. I don't accept, however, that the reduced Greyhound, as a pub, there, is the only possible solution; I can envisage alternative uses for the building - e.g. a café - or an alternative location for a 'New Greyhound', with the chance to rethink the space thereby created. Our current problem is a stand off between the developers, who I have no doubt would like to draw a line under all this, and "the community", rather than an organised community group such as took over the Ivy House. In one way or another, it is time for Greyhound campaigners to put their money where their mouths are. But if the economics of the site are as I suspect, such a group might also look to set up a New Greyhound at an alternative location, which I would also welcome.

Hope that doesn't come across as a reason why not :)
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Now we're getting somewhere and good point re Canvas and Cream. Went there last Friday for first time and was v impressed.

re Greyhound I would have thought that multi-use was most commercially viable which I think ivy house is but I may be wrong. And here is where I start to lose my objectivity a little - it would be a great shame IMO if the building went altogether even if we got a new greyhound. All that would be left is a rather windy square next to a roundabout. Therefore I'm for getting it finished.

So how to take this off the pages of this forum into some more (exploratory) action?

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nature Boy wrote:Now we're getting somewhere ... So how to take this off the pages of this forum into some more (exploratory) action?
Although I know of no such initiative, it would not surprise me if something was being done, "off the pages of this forum" as you say; Purelake for one have an interest. I'm just about to PM you with my contact details in case you want to know my further private thoughts on this matter.
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

Walking past on my way to the station this morning I noticed that at last there may be some building work going on - at any rate the gates were open and I saw a guy inside carrying a large plank!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I too saw an actual live human in fluoroscent vest carrying something looking distinctly like building materials inside the Greyhound, yesterday morning whilst on the school run.
After I had recovered from the shock, it made my entire day.

It can and should be beautiful again.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I saw the gates open the other day. It looks a bit like one man and a an at the moment, rather than any great push to get it done.

parklife

Post by parklife »

Does anyone have any news about the Greyhound and the retail units behind it.

It really is a disgrace that this has gone on for so long
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As the title says We are going over old ground.

Re retail unit I understand Sainsbury have ducked out. Not sure if they will get anyone else.

Why does it take so long to finish the pub. Either finish it promptly or pull it down. Please do not leave it as it is.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Please, no "either ... or ..." - just get the flumping pub fully rebuilt, refurbed and open already!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

From what I understand with Purelake it will be rebuilt, although they haven't exactly been forthcoming with information and still haven't paid us in full for the mural (we are about £6500 out of pocket in total, they owe us £500). Although the mural is being made at the moment.

No-one seems to be able to confirm in Sainsbury's have pulled out or not. some int he know seemed surprised at the suggestion. Does anyone actually have any facts?
michael

Post by michael »

Rachael wrote:I saw the gates open the other day. It looks a bit like one man and a an at the moment, rather than any great push to get it done.
What's the hurry? Purelake have sold all the flats, so all their profit has been realised. The shop won't make them much money, so they can leave them vacant and half-built for as long as they want. Any people they employ will be better utilised for the company on other projects elsewhere, making more money for their shareholders and directors.

I'm afraid you shouldn't expect to see things finished particularly quickly now that most of the revenue has been received for the completed flats.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

You would have thought an attempt to maintain reputation would help get the job finished. They must want to move on from this as much as everyone else.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Eagle wrote:Why does it take so long to finish the pub. Either finish it promptly or pull it down. Please do not leave it as it is.
I don't think they give a toss. They've made their money. Call me cynical but maybe they believe if they leave it as it is for long enough people will start thinking the latter and bingo! More flats built in double quick time due to public demand.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I see there had been a whole scaffold erected around the back, when I passed this morning.

Does this mean things are finally happening - or is it purely for the mural?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

michael wrote:I'm afraid you shouldn't expect to see things finished particularly quickly now that most of the revenue has been received for the completed flats.
Indeed.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I understand the good people of The Sydenham Society fought tooth and nail to retain The Greyhound.

It is a shame how it has ended up.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Eagle wrote:It is a shame how it has ended up.
But hardly surprising. Judging by the way developers left it to rot with the roof off probably in the hope that it would fall down of it's own accord I don't think there was any serious intention of rebuilding it the first place.
simon

Post by simon »

I was chatting to another concerned resident over the weekend and we were thinking that perhaps it is time for a campaign of public shaming against Purelake. I was thinking a few people with placards out side their offices; get some local press down there etc. They certainly deserve some negative PR.