On the Hoof Bistro

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Zoelee

Re: On the Hoof Bistro

Post by Zoelee »

Really looking forward to this - Will pop in and review it for my blog :)
Love the changes that are happening in the area.
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

I was delighted to be part of the madcap photoshoot at the On the Hoof Bistro last Friday, and can't wait to see what Ela and Jeremy have done to the space.

I really hope everyone can support this venture - and all the other new exciting business ventures in the high street, Cherry & Ice, The Calabash of Culture etc

Perhaps Sydenham high street is finally getting its act together!

Jonathan Kaufman
Director, Sydenham Arts Festival
biscuitman1978

On the Hoof Bistro

Post by biscuitman1978 »

On the Hoof kindly opened the doors to their new bistro for an Arts Festival volunteer briefing this morning.

There's lots more work to do but it's already looking fantastic! I'm looking forward to visiting when it opens in early August.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Any news...? The windows are still covered in newspaper. Personally i would remove it as it makes the place look derelict and abandoned. Create excitement and anticipation by letting us see the work in progress
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The signage goes up soon, it's looking fab inside. Not much longer to wait.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I cant wait....i particularly like the idea of the little outside space...
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Open (not serving) for the arts festival, it looks very nice indeed. Exciting!
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I'm very much looking forward to the new signage going up.... is it a lovely wooden signage?

Best of luck in the new venture...I will certainly be a patron :)
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Is there a target opening date?
On the Hoof

Post by On the Hoof »

Dear All,

We are opening our doors tonight for dinner and opening from early morning tomorrow at 23 Sydenham Rd. Please, pop in for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a drink after work. Our opening hours will be 8:30am - 9:30pm Monday - Saturday. Open for Sunday Roast 11am-4pm. If you wish to make a reservation for dinner please call 0208 6597333. Hope to see you there soon & look forward to welcoming you to this latest Sydenham addition. OTH Team
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Are you OK with babies in pushchairs for lunch?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

robbieduncan wrote:Are you OK with babies in pushchairs for lunch?
Quite delicious but a bit hard on the outside so I'm told ...
Good luck and welcome OTH!

Admin
On the Hoof

Post by On the Hoof »

Babies in pushchairs visiting at lunch time would be lovely. We have a few high chairs for toddlers and changing station for the little ones. We will also be offering children menu from September full of healthy home made goodies. Hope to see you soon.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Very exciting. We'll be in soon.

Can I ask what beers you'll be serving?

Happy to help on any advice on that front too.

G-Man
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

What a superb addition to SE26. I hope it all goes well, and I hope to visit some time soon for lovely food and maybe the odd glass of something strong!
:)
Toots

Post by Toots »

Well done On the Hoof! We enjoyed a fantastic meal there last night and a few continental libations to boot. Teething issues almost non existent. I wish the team lots of luck and will be ploughing plenty of my personal income into it over the coming years as a regular.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Looking forward to sampling their bistro dishes (yes - they're right in keeping the menu short and flexible - I can't stand those menus with suspiciously way too much on offer) but popped in for a morning coffee and the atmosphere is really nice in there. They're obviously, thoughtfully, avoiding stepping on people's toes - they're not about to do midweek breakfasts - and so a lunch/dinner bistro is a real gap in the market. Inevitably stylishly decorated inside. A brilliant new addition (I notice the Mayow Park cafe is always busy) to an upcoming neighbourhood. And a 'cheque-cash' shop has just closed down.

You do the math(s).

Good luck all great new businesses in Sydenham with a genuine understanding of what the people want.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Had the yummy Goulash and a Polish beer yesterday for lunch. Would recommend. Really like the helpful welcoming folks there and the quirky decor....they made a real effort and i shall be returning shortly.
Will be recommending they offer Mash with the goulash as that would be just up my street...
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Ate there last night with friends. Obviously still settling down, there was a bit of a glitch that could have been avoided by more careful service but I put that down to lack of experience as much as anything else. The evening menu needs at least one other substantial meat main and preferably another fish dish, but what was available was imaginative and the cooking, whilst not perfect, (my salad croutons were a tad over-done and my partners risotto a bit too wet) was pretty good overall. We had a couple of bottles of very decent italian red wine at a respectable 15 quid a bottle. For a place that had only been open for a couple of days I thought it was a very promising start and once bedded-down has the makings of a decent neighbourhood restaurant. I will be back to try the lunch menu soon.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Had lunch yesterday with my partner and our 7-month old daughter. Really impressed with the decor, the food and the feel of the place. The very friendly lady serving us kept apologising for the wait for things but did not need to. The burgers were fantastic. To be honest calling them a burger is a bit insulting: home made and full of flavour. The chef himself explained the pear tart which was also delicious. Obviously on the pricier end of the spectrum for lunch (about £40 for two mains, two puddings, 2 beers, 1 coffee and 1 hot chocolate) but the quality meant it felt like value for money. We'll be back :)