New Brown Bins

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kster

New Brown Bins

Post by kster »

Lewisham council has just dropped off a brown wheelie bin - we didn't ask for it (or even know that it was coming). Unfortunately, they haven’t left a note to left us know what we are supposed to put in it (I’m guessing it is for garden waste as it is brown), or how often it’ll be collected. Either they are planning on collection twice a year or they have overestimated the size of our garden by several acres.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hope they deliver them to the Thorpes - I'd love a bin for garden waste! (My compost-making always seems to end up as a pile of rather sad twigs!)
lbere

Post by lbere »

My mum had one delivered and she has only hard landscape to the front and rear of her house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Explain that????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
simon

Post by simon »

We got ours last week and I got a leaflet explaining (I've had to tell a load of neighbours as they all threw out their leaflets as junk mail!).
Its a trial for about six weeks to see what the take up is. They pick up on your usual collection day. You can put in any loose garden waste but not tree trunks or big branches. No plastic bags, topsoil, rubble or flower pots.
Trouble I have is that getting in out of the house on a Tuesday morning with two dogs, trying do negotiate my way around three dsicarded bins!
I should imagine that after the trial, those hwo make use of it will be able to have one and those who dont will be asked to return the bins.
Seems a good idea in theory.
john clark

brown bins

Post by john clark »

In tannsfeld road we had no explanation but it seems a good idea to avoid trips to deptford; will there be a separate lorry ?

How about only one grey bin per 2 houses now that we have two other bins ?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Oh dear, I seem to have rather missed the point. I have been putting all my food-stuffs and whatever household refuse that is not suitable for my recycling into it...

It now seems so obvious. I had thought that it was an extra bin due to the perceived increase in capacity needed when we move to fortnightly collections (or 'bi-weekly' as the council would prefer us to believe). So my brabantia bags go in there.

Not one of my most stellar assumptions I'll grant you.

As an aside, am I right to expect a reduction in my poll-tax in line with the fact my refuse will be collected half as much as normal?

(I thought not)
simon

Post by simon »

I thought Lewisham were committed to weekly collections Greg.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

As did I Simon but I had heard a number of reports (perhaps false) that as per a few other London boroughs a move toward bi-weekly was in the offing.

Perhaps I shouldn't believe all I hear.
DaveT

collection of brown bin contents

Post by DaveT »

but... I saw a kerbside refuse processing vehicle (dustbin lorry) this morning, on newlands pk road, collecting both green recycling boxes and brown bins, into the same truck - with no separation as far as I could see. (didn't stop to look too hard).

will stop to look next time to check to see if it really does all go down the same chute.
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

AliT

Post by AliT »

I'm quite pleased about the arrival of the garden waste bins as it was always a struggle to get rid of that stuff before... there's only so much I can take to the allotment to compost. It'll be especially useful in autumn for fallen leaves and cutting back woody stems that don't go in the household compost. Overall I applaud the effort to increase composting and the awareness of it in the borough.