Stabbing on a train

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Stabbing on a train

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

Our Police are not perfect but not many things are.

Name one Police force you would prefer to police Britain other than the current one.

Few Examples

Niger Police , North Korean Police , Greek Police ?????????

Stop bickering and give our Police our support.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Annie. wrote:Haha, wasting your time there HB, I have better things to do with my day!
Have a good read!
Fair enough. Enjoy!
Eagle wrote:Name one Police force you would prefer to police Britain other than the current one.

Few Examples

It is possible for the Met to be both better than the North Korean police force and racist.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Rod, the provisions of the criminal justice and public order act 1994 are rather different from PACE and misuse of drugs act stop and searches. The two are very different beasts and shouldn't really be equated.

Is the Met *still* a racist organisation? Can you evidence that? Do you actually understand what the term "institutional racism" actually means? It certainly doesn't mean that individual police officers (who exercise powers of s&s) are racist.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I know what it means. I believe it to still be true. It is a commonly held belief.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:
Reminds of the passage in Flat Earth News about a Mail reporter who was driving to Birmingham to cover a murder, received a call from the editor's office, don't bother the chap was black...[/quote wrote:
Can you prove this? When was it supposed to of happened?
Yes it is in Nick Davies Flat Earth News available at Kirkdale Bookshop. It covers the way three Newspapers work, Mail, Telegraph and Guardian. He slaughters all three.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

hairybuddha wrote:I know what it means. I believe it to still be true. It is a commonly held belief.
Stop and search show it to be flawed when very white drug dealers are targetted. Racism cannot be levelled just against the Met as I went to watch a Bournemouth vs Fulham match in Dorset. I went with a mate from here (I was a mortgage payer in SW11 at the time) and my mate was the ONLY person searching in the Fulham end. He was the only black supporter...
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:MWAV

Our Police are not perfect but not many things are.

Name one Police force you would prefer to police Britain other than the current one.

Few Examples

I'm showing you facts and you are bickering about them, you moan about me bickering :roll: then you pick the worst three forces on the planet - all Right Wing govts mind...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

hairybuddha wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:What do you mean by completely random anyway
Definitely meant in the modern usage of the word. Not the correct, mathematic definition. It is impossible for the Met to stop and search people completely randomly for lots of reasons. Resources for one. Pressure of targets another. Genuine suspicion of a person for various reasons another. Racism another.
I'm at a loss to know what that modern usage might be then, other than to be pejorative.

A trap I realise I fell into myself, when I wrote about stop and search not being meant to be random :oops:
Last edited by Tim Lund on 9 Jun 2014 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
Annie. wrote:
Reminds of the passage in Flat Earth News about a Mail reporter who was driving to Birmingham to cover a murder, received a call from the editor's office, don't bother the chap was black...[/quote wrote:
Can you prove this? When was it supposed to of happened?
Yes it is in Nick Davies Flat Earth News available at Kirkdale Bookshop. It covers the way three Newspapers work, Mail, Telegraph and Guardian. He slaughters all

firstly you make it look like I quoted the above, which I didn't, secondly, who is to say "Flat Earth" is correct? You could go round and round in circles, he said this she said that! It's still not proof that the police are racist!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just deleted a post here before any reaction. It was misjudged. Sorry HB.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I'm intrigued.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:
Annie. wrote: Yes it is in Nick Davies Flat Earth News available at Kirkdale Bookshop. It covers the way three Newspapers work, Mail, Telegraph and Guardian. He slaughters all

firstly you make it look like I quoted the above, which I didn't, secondly, who is to say "Flat Earth" is correct? You could go round and round in circles, he said this she said that! It's still not proof that the police are racist!
None of the papers denied when questioned. It was one of the best non fiction books of the last decade. If you do read it you will never beleiev the media again with their nuances and subtleties of how they word stories.

One case afterwards was about a Harley Street plastic surgeon whoi was given a massive 2 page spread about his new practise starting up. No pics of the gent just his name.

After he was struck off the Mail said he was a Muslim, published a picture showing he was black and from Ghana - all stuff withheld from the first piece. The second piece also ignored their involvement in giving this individual publicity.

That is how media works and the Guardian do it too.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Is it reasonable for police to target limited resources at likely groups and areas? Yes people are dying.
Is it reasonable that say 9/10 are totally innocent (the searched) and a little bit of goodwill is lost every time? Maybe.

Is it reasonable that if the purpose of the search is something important like knife crime, that anything else that is found is fair game, like suspicious amounts of money, more than one phone perhaps, an expired visa, or small amounts of substances for personal use, and can be used to obtain a successful conviction? Maybe.

,,,even though important as some of these matters might be, that wasn't the reason the police were empowered to stop and search in the first place? Maybe not.

It is not straight forward especially as an earlier poster wrote, a screwdriver is an effective weapon. Should they be banned (screwdrivers)? And surely the successful criminals are driving cars anyway?

In any case, it seems unlikely that a stop and search would ever be carried out at such a quiet station, and it sounds more like a mental health issue to me. Where's that welfare state when you need it?
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

perryman wrote:Is it reasonable for police to target limited resources at likely groups and areas? Yes people are dying.
Is it reasonable that say 9/10 are totally innocent (the searched) and a little bit of goodwill is lost every time? Maybe.

Is it reasonable that if the purpose of the search is something important like knife crime, that anything else that is found is fair game, like suspicious amounts of money, more than one phone perhaps, an expired visa, or small amounts of substances for personal use, and can be used to obtain a successful conviction? Maybe.

,,,even though important as some of these matters might be, that wasn't the reason the police were empowered to stop and search in the first place? Maybe not.

It is not straight forward especially as an earlier poster wrote, a screwdriver is an effective weapon. Should they be banned (screwdrivers)? And surely the successful criminals are driving cars anyway?

In any case, it seems unlikely that a stop and search would ever be carried out at such a quiet station, and it sounds more like a mental health issue to me. Where's that welfare state when you need it?
One of James' friends who tried to save him was arrested and put in the cells overnight, so yeah his goodwill to the Police is destroyed. It drew audible gasps when the hall was told. The police did look rather red faced and stupid for doing that.