Stabbing on a train

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Stabbing on a train

Post by Manwithaview1 »

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11258 ... ref=twtrec

A man has been assaulted on a Southeastern train at Lower Sydenham.

British Transport Police (BTP) has reported a male in his 20s was "cut" on a morning service running from Hayes to Charing Cross.

The rail operator said "the train has become a crime scene" and will be taken to the depo for investigation.

Passengers on the train had said someone may have been stabbed following the incident.

User '‏@ELemoine' said: "Little stabbing in train lower Sydenham. Late for meeting as many others".

While '@Bchagtai' commented: "...at lower Sydenham station, someone got stabbed in the leg (so people say randomly) by someone who got on the train stabbed and got off".

And '@capiegirl' tweeted: "Just been told to get off train at New Beckenham due to crime scene at lower sydenham #marooned".

British Transport Police and London Ambulance Service attended.

A BTP spokesman said: “BTP officers were called to Lower Sydenham station in south-east London on Thursday June 5 following a report that a man had been assaulted.

“The incident, which was reported to BTP at 9.54am, took place on the 9.53am Sydenham to Charing Cross service.

“Colleagues from the Metropolitan Police and medics from the London Ambulance Service also attended.

“A man in his 20s was treated at the scene for a cut to his leg before being taken to a local hospital.

“Enquiries into the incident are ongoing.”

Southeastern has reported disruptions to the line, informing passengers "trains may be cancelled, delayed or revised".

Replacement travel arrangements are in place.

Luckily it is not life threatening. Why do these morons need to carry knives?
hairybuddha

Re: Stabbing on a train

Post by hairybuddha »

Was the assailant wearing a hoodie?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why oh why are there nor more random searches for knives. To have a knife should be very seriously treated.

Random searches are the only way. I would not complain if stopped.
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Goodness. Someone must have eaten fried chicken for breakfast.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have no idea of the demographic of the person involved on the train or the one at Wells Park.

If under 20 year olds are more likely to carry knives then of course they should more often be stopped.

For God's sake it is for everbodies benefit to weed this criminal element out of circulation.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

User '‏@ELemoine' said: "Little stabbing in train lower Sydenham. Late for meeting as many others".

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say? Someone's been stabbed, it shouldn't matter if it's little. And what constitutes a little stabbing anyway? Oh, and diddums you're late for your meeting. Nice to see people have empathy.

Euch.

G-Man
michael

Post by michael »

G-Man wrote:User '‏@ELemoine' said: "Little stabbing in train lower Sydenham. Late for meeting as many others".

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say? Someone's been stabbed, it shouldn't matter if it's little. And what constitutes a little stabbing anyway? Oh, and diddums you're late for your meeting. Nice to see people have empathy.

Euch.

G-Man
Take it up with her. https://twitter.com/ELemoine
Definitively green. Design obsessed, interior designer, orchid enthusiast, apprentice cellist, loves theatre, music books. Mum of two, always busy and love it!
If you're not on Twitter you can email her at: emmanuelle@emmanuellelemoine.co.uk
(Contact details from http://emmanuellelemoineinteriors.co.uk)

At least she is not an anonymous poster on an online forum, and I'm sure she would be happy to discuss why a 'little stabbing' should not get in the way of her busy green-design-orchid-cellist-theatre-music-family life.
Last edited by michael on 5 Jun 2014 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

@ELemoine @ELemoine @ELemoine - That should get her attention.
michael

Post by michael »

https://twitter.com/ELemoine/status/474277302797602816 (@ELemoine)
RT @Jill_Celeste: 4 Ways To Make Your Personal Brand Even Better http://bit.ly/1dl1rzC #personalbranding #socialmedia
#fail
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

hairybuddha wrote:@ELemoine @ELemoine @ELemoine - That should get her attention.
That didn't make it into the Twitter snippet for this post. The tweets only have the post title now.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

This all seems pretty sanctimonious and unpleasant to me : harassment, or bullying even, of this poor woman, who (foolishly, no doubt) wrote something on Twitter which we all might have thought, and would probably indeed have shared with people we could trust.
michael

Post by michael »

Well, I'll leave it to HB to change the subject line if he wishes, it is easy enough to do.
My point remains that the right place to respond is on twitter, not on STF.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Robin Orton wrote:This all seems pretty sanctimonious and unpleasant to me : harassment, or bullying even, of this poor woman, who (foolishly, no doubt) wrote something on Twitter which we all might have thought, and would probably indeed have shared with people we could trust.
I agree, Robin. However, Twitter is not a place where you talk to people you trust. It's entirely open to all viewers. So while I won't join in the baiting, it might be a sobering lesson for the woman in question. And it might be worth noting that her Twitter feed has NOT been flooded with comments on this since her details appeared here earlier.
michael

Post by michael »

Rachael wrote:And it might be worth noting that her Twitter feed has NOT been flooded with comments on this since her details appeared here earlier.
You are right, but have a look at the comments on http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11258 ... _Sydenham/
Judging from this a lot of people seem to find Emmanuelle's comments distasteful, particularly a few days after a fatal stabbing in Sydenham.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am torn two ways on this. Michael's posting would be an unpleasant and intrusive experience for her should she or one of her friends or colleagues discover it. Hopefully it would teach her to think before tweeting.

Better that IMHO than jailing a guy yesterday for tweeting an admittedly more serious and unpleasant opinion on the murder of Mrs McGuire the teacher. Freedom of opinion and speech however unwelcome is something we should protect. The quid pro quo is that we can be truly scathing of their inappropriateness. Hopefully they will learn without the silly costs of judicial process.

PS I don't know why STF body content is not being tweeted. It used to be. It could be the tweeting machine we use wants us to sign up for their paid service. Meanwhile I'm fiddling with the settings.

Admin
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yeah. I think it is just thinking before you tweet. Also the big problem with twitter is that sarcasm doesn't come out very well. And she could have been being sarcastic.

I won't take to hounding people on Twitter, I think she'll know her mistake, which I'm sure wasn't intentional.

Oh, and I'm on twitter too. Without giving my name away it's @garethharries or for work stuff @garethjharries

Transparent? Good.

G-Man
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

rod taylor wrote:
Eagle wrote:Why oh why are there nor more random searches for knives. To have a knife should be very seriously treated.

Random searches are the only way. I would not complain if stopped.
The problem with random searches are that they will always be targeted at a particular demographic, and in the modern world, that is not possible.

For the sake of argument, I would posit the majority of stabbings in London are carried out by those under 20. To stop a 65 year old would be a pointless waste of time. You could also possibly make a link between knife crime and skin colour, if you just looked at statistics, and then again, that would lead you into difficulties. So Stop & Search might not be the answer.
Or people could accept that the statistics not blind racism (or ageism) by the Police lead to these outcomes.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Can I just say that I have met this lady and I'm wondering if something may have got lost in translation a little bit as English isn't her first language. She's a perfectly nice person and I don't know her well enough to assume this, but I couldn't imagine her trivialising what happened. It does feel a little bit mean posting all of this on here about her without her knowing about it. Not that I'll draw her attention to it as I would imagine she would be horrified... Just thought I'd throw that in there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

robbieduncan wrote:Or people could accept that the statistics not blind racism (or ageism) by the Police lead to these outcomes.
What statistics do you believe justifies the current 'stop and search' process?

Admin
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

admin wrote:
robbieduncan wrote:Or people could accept that the statistics not blind racism (or ageism) by the Police lead to these outcomes.
What statistics do you believe justifies the current 'stop and search' process?

Admin
It was suggested in the post I responded to that "for the sake of argument, I would posit the majority of stabbings in London are carried out by those under 20 ... You could also possibly make a link between knife crime and skin colour, if you just looked at statistics". I was responding to that rather than any particular statistics I have access to