Cheer up! Good news for Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marianne

Cheer up! Good news for Sydenham

Post by marianne »

:lol: Hi - I wish everyone would cheer up and try to be more positive about Sydenham.

There was a good article in the Evening Standard property section on Wednesday. I am surprised that nobody drew attention to it. It was entitled "A place full of grandeur" and was very encouraging about the area (e.g. explore the charms of Sydenham, Forest Hill and Honor Oak) and encouraged prospective buyers to look around the area.

So come on, lets have some positive comments on this website - it seems to be dying a death recently. :D
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

I agree with Marianne. Personally I was cheered enormously by buying flowers just now in Chantelle's opposite the station - fabulous service and wonderful flowers! Wednesday's Standard article was brilliant and if Somerfields invest in the area then the 'downbeat' high street could begin to look up. If you haven't already written to or emailed Somerfields please do!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Me too, I was very pleased to see the article and my husband and I actually did the walk suggested by the article (leaving out the bits we know around the Thorpes). I must say there are great views on a walk through Hornimans towards Honour Oak and it was an interesting, and sometimes challenging (quite steep in parts) romp. We walked to the old oak where queen Elizabeth I sat, which has a metal fence around it but no plaque and down to Honour Oak high street. I was impressed, as I knew I would be, by this area we live in, its diverse and its clean and tidy (mostly). The one thing which surprised me is that Honour Oak high street is nowhere near as good as Sydenham (its much shorter and there's not much there really) yet the article seemed to say otherwise.
Anyway, I'd advise anyone who wants to get some excersize to go do it, it takes about 2hrs if you walk back via Devonshire Road and Forest Hill and your legs may ache at the end.