Police communications

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Police communications

Post by Tim Lund »

The Police message given at the Perry Vale Assembly last night, which I have just posted here, and something else PC Bailey said, got me thinking about the wider question of how the police communicate with the public, on non urgent matters. It's something I've commented on before in the thread

Police Non Urgent 101

but that's for when we want to talk to the police, not when they have a message for us.

The something else PC Bailey said was the the Met are looking to collect email addresses for people living in an area so that they could receive warnings such as my neighbour forwarded to me, and that a London wide target had been set for email addresses to collect. In her email, my neighbour said it was "a type of neighbourhood watch for Perry Vale", and that if I wanted to get such emails direct, "perhaps you could contact him and also pass message onto any neighbours who might be interested".

I can see the point, but I wonder about this. PC Bailey assured us that emails would always use bcc, but even the best of us make mistakes. I felt like asking whether there was anything to do with their email systems which would make this impossible, but I thought better of it. I also wondered about the security of whatever databases they held this information on - could they be hacked by someone wanting to get a list of emails for people living in a given area? Might a less scrupulous officer ever consider selling such information? I also wondered about the structure of the database - were the email addresses linked to a specific address, or just a ward?

This morning I've done some googling on this, searching for terms such as 'Met London Neighbourhood Watch email", but not found any reference to the scheme, or numerical targets PC Bailey mentioned, so I'll email him about it.

In case anyone wonders, I think the basic idea here is good; there have to be effective ways for the Police to get these sorts of messages out which involve modern electronic media, but my strong suspicion is that this particular scheme has not been thought through. I suspect also that it would need to be managed independently, given the unfortunate level of distrust in the Met, arising not so much from malign intent, such as framing the innocent, from the humblest to Andrew Mitchell, but more because mistakes and sloppiness will happen, and the wider public will take a lot of convincing to trust their systems.

I will be asking PC Bailey to add me to his email list as my neighbour suggests, because I think it will do some good, but there will be better ways for state agencies such as the police to work together to target public information messages. However, getting the security of the such systems right will be a massive challenge.
hairybuddha

Re: Police communications

Post by hairybuddha »

It's a pity that trust in technology and the Police is so low. This seems like a perfectly sensible idea and so what if your e-mail address is accidentally released? It is almost certainly common knowledge already.

The technology already exists to send messages to mobile phones within a given radius of a certain location. Perhaps that could be an alternative? I'm sure they could also do the same using ISP networks. But I'm sure that would be too much for the tinfoil hat brigade.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They do this in Kent already, I have just received the paper work to join it, they will only inform you of for example --shed break ins, garage break ins or burglaries etc or indeed false access attempts, I think its a good thing, I'm not worried about the Email side of things, and I am very security conscious having just left Lweisham.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

A similar message was given by PC Michael Hill at the Forest Hill ward assembly meeting on Sunday. It struck me as an excellent idea, and I am thinking about joining the network myself. I must say that the privacy issues raised by Tim did not occur to me. I am inclined to agree with HB and Annie, that we shouldn't get too steamed up about them.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

hairybuddha wrote:It's a pity that trust in technology and the Police is so low. This seems like a perfectly sensible idea and so what if your e-mail address is accidentally released? It is almost certainly common knowledge already.

The technology already exists to send messages to mobile phones within a given radius of a certain location. Perhaps that could be an alternative? I'm sure they could also do the same using ISP networks. But I'm sure that would be too much for the tinfoil hat brigade.
Interesting, although I may be a bit more tolerant of what you call the 'tinfoil hat brigade'. Would that mean campaigners such as No2ID - "Stop the database state"?

In general I agree that so much of this data is out there anyway that I think we should concern ourselves more about how accurate it is, what rules there should be to keep some types of information private (medical records yes, tax returns & salaries, not so sure), and how it is all managed.

For choice, I'd also have information which can be agreed to be public to be available free of charge. Otherwise you end up with some agency or private company putting its revenues ahead of the public interest, such as with Companies House, Land Registry, etc., and all sort of other organisations inefficiently and inaccurately trying to replicate the same databases.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 16 Jul 2014 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I am one-fingered typing at the moment due to an injury inflicted at work so I shall be brief.

The system in place for sending group emails out automatically populates the BCC field. It would have to be a conscious effort to paste them into the CC field.

I can't comment on the security of the database: I dont know much about network security.

The drive to obtain a email addresses is a common-sense and cheap way for police to pass on messages relevant to specific local communities. It can be sent to a ward, residents of a street, businesses and so on...
hazy

Post by hazy »

Surely just following our local cops on twitter is simpler? no need for registering & submitting email addresses & all that jazz. i already follow them &, although their tweets are hardly thrilling, it seems to work just fine for this kind of info
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I do that as well hazy, I also follow the MPS in the sky, it can actually be quite interesting to see what they do, also the police boats. :D

We have a lot to thank them for.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

hazy wrote:Surely just following our local cops on twitter is simpler? no need for registering & submitting email addresses & all that jazz. i already follow them &, although their tweets are hardly thrilling, it seems to work just fine for this kind of info
Yes I get DMs are the best way (Direct Messages) as opposed to boots.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:I do that as well hazy, I also follow the MPS in the sky, it can actually be quite interesting to see what they do, also the police boats. :D

We have a lot to thank them for.
Some of their pictures of London are breathtaking
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They are indeed, I would buy them if they framed them up, they could put the money towards a police charity. :D
alywin

Post by alywin »

It shouldn't be difficult to set up a disposable email address which will feed into your usual email inbox, surely?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just noticed this Twitter account for Sydenham's Sgt Amanda Ritchie

@MPSSydenhamSgt