Welcome to new members!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Welcome to new members!

Post by JRobinson »

are you a new member?

put a post here, tell us a bit about yourself, and welcome to the wonderful Sydenham Town Forum!
ElyBUK1

Re: Welcome to new members!

Post by ElyBUK1 »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I moved to Venner Rd, Sydenham, just short of two years ago. I found the forum only today.
I am very interested in the history of my street and the Crystal Palace.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Welcome to The Forum

I lived in Venner Rd from 49 to 74 and still know person in the road.

The rail side used to be Victorian houses like the Homecroft Rd side. Canal walk did not exist.

Many interesting characters have lived in the road.

Where The Firs is was one large Mansion with huge garden and seem to recall cave under the road.

The Council , in their infinite wisdom , intended to bulldoze the whole road in the early 70's , but thankfully thanks to the theatrical world , the large Victorian terrace was saved.
This happened because Joe Mitcheson and Raymond Mander , theatricals , had their own house , about 7 ish , full of theatrical memorabilia ( now in Bristol Theatrical Museum , i understand ). These gentlemen were aquainted will all the stars , like Sir Lawrence O etc. These stars protested to Lewisham who could not fight The Luvvies.

Hope of interest.

Crystal Palace moved to Sydenham in 1855 and lasted until the infamous fire of 1936. It is said that if it had not been burned down would have been pulled down by 39 as a beacon for the Luftwafe.
There are many interesting books about The Palace , and also Sydenham at the great bookshop , opposite the wonderful Greyhound.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Good afternoon,

My wife and I are moving to Sydenham this week with our young daughter. We are really looking forward to it, as Sydenham seems very understated and a great place to bring up a family.

I am from Australia originally, lived a few years in North London and then moved to East Dulwich in 2010. We have finally seen the light and moved to Sydenham. My wife was born and bred in South East London, and has lived in Sydenham in the past. We really love the area.

We are looking forward to meeting new people, and getting involved in the community. We really love Mayow Park; especially with the new cafe, the cricket and a number of upcoming family activities.

Have a great day!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Good afternoon and welcome :)

Like your wife, I lived here for a while some years ago, moved away and eventually decided to move back. I like the homely feel of shops and people to go with them rather than being "farmed out" in a commuter-only type location. A silly thing is that I have no sense of direction so whenever I can see the CP transmitter mast it's a sign of home and gives almost a feeling of belonging...

As you say, lots of parks nearby and both Lewisham and Bromley are very good for children-oriented activities with events especially during school summer holidays. Perhaps check out the Town Kids forum if you haven't already.
ElyBUK1

Post by ElyBUK1 »

Thanks for the reply, Eagle!
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

Welcome to Sydenham ElyBUK1 and Mayowthorpe!

I really think you will enjoy living here! :-)
We lived here 12 years ago, then moved to north west London and just over 3 years ago moved back here, and this time around we are really loving it!!!

ElyBUK1, we also live on Venner Rd. :-)

Have a nice evening
Pally

Post by Pally »

Sydenham is a nice area of South London to live ...having been hers 28 odd years!
Whites Pet Centre

Post by Whites Pet Centre »

We are new members, and thought we'd take this oppurtunity to broadcast to the whole of Sydenham that we are doing an ice bucket challenge on Wednesday 3rd September at 1 pm outside Whites Pet Centre.
We are doing it as a fund raiser for St Christophers Hospice and all staff members are taking part.
We are taking sponsors and donations so that we can raise as much money as we can for a worthy local charity, which is very dear to the hearts of the majority of people living in and around Sydenham.
Please help in any way you can by supporting us in person,on facebook and by donating generously.
Please come and cheer us on.
Here's hoping for decent weather!