Building site on Sydenham High Street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydres

Re: Building site on Sydenham High Street

Post by sydres »

Any update on this development?
sydres

Post by sydres »

At the risk of repeating myself does anyone have any new information on this development? Is work due to start on site soon?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are referring to the former Nickell's Blinds site then the good news is the developer is anxious to begin construction. The not so good news is that Lewisham Planning appears not to have the same urgency so final planning has yet to go through committee. Probably because they don't have enough staff. And, for what its worth, the pressure groups around here are insisting that The Greyhound gets absolute priority from Planning.

So, if all goes well, The Greyhound, The Orb (opposite) and the Blinds site should be in place (or amost) during 2015. Hopefully transforming the upper part of Sydenham Road and lower Kirkdale and spurring on a real transformation around Cobbs Corner.

Admin
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

You are correct to flag up the fact that all being well (!) we should see three major sites on Sydenham Road underway this year bringing extra footfall, housing and jobs, not to mention a better look to the high street.

However, the good news is that the "Nickell's Blinds" site proposal has already been approved by planning officers by delegated powers without going through a planning committee.

As I understand it, the developer has, late in the day, been asked to submit extra papers on conservation and methods of work on site.

As you say, this developer is straining at the leash to get working so let's hope we see action ASAP.

Barry Milton
sydres

Post by sydres »

Thank you both for your responses - demonstrates what a useful resource the forum is...let's hope work starts soon.
sydres

Post by sydres »

It's a shame building work has started yet on this project - any update?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

All permissions are now in place and building work will start before long.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Hmmmm...
Wonder if we could persuade the multitude of betting shops on our High Street to put odds in their windows... :lol:
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Still no sign of anything happening here....very strange. I started this thread quite some time ago and it appeared to be about to start....15 months on, a new graffitied fence and more weed growth.
God knows...what do these planners do all day?
sydres

Post by sydres »

Does anyone from the Council or Syd Soc have an update - seems surprising that nothing has started yet....
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Does anyone know the latest on this development between Venner and Newlands Park?
Much as the hoarding art demonstrates some talent, it would be good to see the works get underway
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Developers plan on being on site in September
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Just what the rain starts to slow things down..... :lol:
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

On a related matter, I see the 'Orb' (next to the railway bridge) is nearly completed and by all accounts the properties within have sold rather well (and swiftly).... Does anyone know what will occupy the retail premises on the ground floor? In the past there had been a suggestion it would be a wine bar (that would have been a nice change in my view), but I understand that was changed.. Any news out there in the SE26 ether?
biscuitman1978

Building site on Sydenham High Street

Post by biscuitman1978 »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:On a related matter, I see the 'Orb' (next to the railway bridge) is nearly completed and by all accounts the properties within have sold rather well (and swiftly).... Does anyone know what will occupy the retail premises on the ground floor? In the past there had been a suggestion it would be a wine bar (that would have been a nice change in my view), but I understand that was changed.. Any news out there in the SE26 ether?
See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1881
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Thanks - I'll post the question there (much appreciated for the steer)...
sydres

Post by sydres »

So it's now the beginning of September - does anyone have an official start date for this site?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Preparation work has been going on intermittently over the past couple of weeks using the Newlands Park access.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

They seem to have the site relatively clear now. I wonder how long it will be before the boarding will be replaced by a build. It will make a real difference to the High Street
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

The Clown wrote:They seem to have the site relatively clear now. I wonder how long it will be before the boarding will be replaced by a build. It will make a real difference to the High Street
I agree, and the plans make it look like it will be really super. We need more sympathetic architecture along the high st.

Newlands Park will be a nightmare, (ahem more of a nightmare,) when this starts. I feel for those people that live towards the lights anyway, but this could be carnage.