Is Sydenham Safe?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Post Reply
Eden Green
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Aug 2014 13:55
Location: London

Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Eden Green »

I am in process of buying a potentially wonderful period property in Sydenham which has much more than I would get for my money in neighbouring areas. I work in healthcare and have spoken to patients about Sydenham. Unfortunately, all three of them without fail have told me that Sydenham is rough and one implied it is dangerous. This is not the impression I got when I visited the area nor the impression I get from reading this excellent forum. In fact, it would seem that there is a strong local community.

Does anyone know what it is like at the top of Kent House Road at night time? There are some small council estates there which look tidy and well kept to my eyes. Is there any trouble?

One patient told me that Sydenham has significantly deteriorated over the years. It would seem that process is reversing. Is this real or wishful thinking?
Eagle
Posts: 10658
Joined: 7 Oct 2004 06:36
Location: F Hill

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Eagle »

Eden

Welcome to the area.

Of course there are nasty incidents , but probably no more than most other areas. No area is 100% safe I am afraid , although I would say Sydenham has no major problems.

Certainly changed over the decades , but where has not.

You mention Kent House Road , which is a lovely road with nice houses. Do not live there myself so cannot say if they have any major problems , but would be surprised if they do.

Hopefully someone who lives closer will advise.
Bunty
Posts: 198
Joined: 11 Jul 2013 17:49

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Bunty »

Hi I am surprised by your patients comments. I have lived in Sydenham for 16 years, both lower and upper. Personally I have never been affected by any crime. I walk home from the station at night and never felt threatened. My daughter is 16 but had been walking home from school since she was 11, again never had any bother. I think Sydenham has improved greatly over the past few years and as Eagle says, Kent House is a lovely road. Good luck!
Krispycat
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Jan 2014 13:58

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Krispycat »

I've lived here for 2 years in Trewsbury Road, and before that for 7 years in Forest Hill. I would say that I have never felt intimidated or worried about my safety when walking home at night alone from the station. There are always people about and we've been pleased that we've not seen or had any trouble at all.
Like others have said, there's no guarantee that a place is totally safe, but I would say not to worry in the slightest. Take the usual precautions when walking around at night and make sure your home is secure as it can be, and then enjoy living here. It looks a little rough round the edges but it's on the vanguard of being wonderful!!
I'd suggest that the people that you told aren't residents of sydenham?!! Glad you found a great property, and I hope you enjoy living here...
parker
Posts: 564
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 21:15
Location: Sydenham Wells

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by parker »

Sydenham isn't particularly dangerous, just certain areas look a bit scruffy and give a bad impression. Whilst it's no Beckenham or Dulwich it has definitely improved over the last 3 years. More could be done but it's no where near a dangerous place in comparison to Catford and Lewisham. Hope this paints a clearer picture Eden.
robbieduncan
Posts: 384
Joined: 28 Oct 2013 17:10
Location: Trewsbury Road

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by robbieduncan »

Krispycat wrote:I've lived here for 2 years in Trewsbury Road, and before that for 7 years in Forest Hill. I would say that I have never felt intimidated or worried about my safety when walking home at night alone from the station. There are always people about and we've been pleased that we've not seen or had any trouble at all.
Like others have said, there's no guarantee that a place is totally safe, but I would say not to worry in the slightest. Take the usual precautions when walking around at night and make sure your home is secure as it can be, and then enjoy living here. It looks a little rough round the edges but it's on the vanguard of being wonderful!!
I'd suggest that the people that you told aren't residents of sydenham?!! Glad you found a great property, and I hope you enjoy living here...
We must have moved in not too long after you: lived on Trewsbury Road for almost a year and a half. Having moved from East London which has a pretty rough reputation I can only say I've always felt safe in Sydenham as has my other half. It was important to us when choosing where to move to and we spent some time later on in the evenings to make sure it felt safe around the station and on the high street (which it does).
Eden Green
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Aug 2014 13:55
Location: London

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Eden Green »

Thanks for your replies. All very reassuring. 4 of the people I spoke to today all said I should move to Beckenham instead. This area to me seems to have an older population and might be a bit boring. Am I stereotyping?
robbieduncan
Posts: 384
Joined: 28 Oct 2013 17:10
Location: Trewsbury Road

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by robbieduncan »

Eden Green wrote:Thanks for your replies. All very reassuring. 4 of the people I spoke to today all said I should move to Beckenham instead. This area to me seems to have an older population and might be a bit boring. Am I stereotyping?
Bechenham is very nice too. I don't think Sydenham is all older people. Plenty of people with younger kids/babies from what I see (we have a baby ourselves)
Rachael
Posts: 2450
Joined: 23 Jan 2010 13:42
Location: Sydenham / Forest Hill Intersection

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Rachael »

Beckenham has a very mixed population, like most London areas. The High Street is quite pretty but gets a bit lairy in the evenings, especially at the weekends. The transport links are nowhere near as good as in Sydenham, despite the tram.

Lots of families there for the Park Langley schools but plenty of older people too. Sydenham is FULL of families, especially as the schools are decent and families homes have, until recently, been quite affordable.
Manwithaview1
Posts: 2162
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 21:23
Location: Sydenham Hill Estate

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Sydenham is great. It is the old German suburb. Sure there is the rare event of a major crime, like most areas but apart from that it is a cool place. Lots of excellent little shops and cafes by the station and on Kirkdale. I've been here for almost ten years and like others never felt threatened even when walking past groups of teens. There are no gangs in Sydenham and crime is very low.
sparticus
Posts: 225
Joined: 25 Jan 2013 13:56

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by sparticus »

by Eden Green » 14 Aug 2014 15:57
Thanks for your replies. All very reassuring. 4 of the people I spoke to today all said I should move to Beckenham instead. This area to me seems to have an older population and might be a bit boring. Am I stereotyping?
We moved to Beckenham from Forest Hill for the schools and hated it! We were in Park Langley which was the most unfriendly place I've ever lived, and I'm on my 9th (and final!) house so I've moved around a fair bit. Mainly because no-one walks anywhere, so apart from immediate neighbours you never meet anyone casually. Beckenham is much less diverse than Sydenham and the high street much less interesting. Park Langley was like living in the country with none of the advantages. Very white and very Tory! In retrospect we should have stayed in Forest Hill and sent our kids to the local schools-though two moves would have paid one set of school fees if we'd wanted to go private- but we thought we were doing the right thing at the time. Anyway, as soon as we could we moved back to SE26 and we love it here! Sydenham is probably the nicest place I have ever lived. I'm sure in about 20 years time it'll be like East Dulwich but by then I'll be too old to care, if indeed I'm still around!
Hissing Syd
Posts: 118
Joined: 7 May 2012 15:09
Location: Sydenham

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Hissing Syd »

I'm incredibly surprised by the negative stuff you've heard. If that were true then Sydenham would not have enjoyed such substantial rejuvenation over the last few years, with house prices pretty much doubling as a consequence.

As I've posted before - I was a victim of violent crime several times in my last area, which is why safety was of paramount importance to me when I was considering Sydenham. I don't drive and often come back late at night, but the High Street is always well lit, with people around, and that makes a big difference.

Ultimately though, this is London - bad stuff can happen anywhere, even in Kensington or Muswell Hill. All I can say is that I feel very safe here, speaking as someone who is hyper aware of such things.

I think you must follow your instinct. Most people I know that live or have lived in Sydenham haven't been ambivalent about it - they have loved it. If you want a community feel, beautiful parks, some fantastic local shops and great housing and to still be in zone 3, then voila. Beckenham's okay, but by comparison it just feels very suburban; you might as well be in Crawley.
Pally
Posts: 1478
Joined: 2 Aug 2014 05:38
Location: Sydenham

Re: Is Sydenham Safe?

Post by Pally »

Hissing Syd wrote:I'm incredibly surprised by the negative stuff you've heard. If that were true then Sydenham would not have enjoyed such substantial rejuvenation over the last few years, with house prices pretty much doubling as a consequence.

As I've posted before - I was a victim of violent crime several times in my last area, which is why safety was of paramount importance to me when I was considering Sydenham. I don't drive and often come back late at night, but the High Street is always well lit, with people around, and that makes a big difference.

Ultimately though, this is London - bad stuff can happen anywhere, even in Kensington or Muswell Hill. All I can say is that I feel very safe here, speaking as someone who is hyper aware of such things.

I think you must follow your instinct. Most people I know that live or have lived in Sydenham haven't been ambivalent about it - they have loved it. If you want a community feel, beautiful parks, some fantastic local shops and great housing and to still be in zone 3, then voila. Beckenham's okay, but by comparison it just feels very suburban; you might as well be in Crawley.
I can only agree with all of this having lived in Sydenham for years.
Post Reply