Walk from Sydenham Hill station at night - is it safe?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Craig&Sha

Walk from Sydenham Hill station at night - is it safe?

Post by Craig&Sha »

Hello,

We are in the process of moving to Sydenham Hill soon, and are very grateful to find this noticeboard and active community.

We don't know the area and although we don't have any general concerns about safety, I wondered it it was safe to walk through the path leading from Sydenham Hill station up to Crescent Wood Road, especially late at night?

I've only walked up it in the daytime, and it was steep, but very pretty! Is it well-lit at night and safe? Or better to walk around the wood?

Many thanks!
S&C
mosy

Re: Walk from Sydenham Hill station at night - is it safe?

Post by mosy »

I live near Sydenham Station, where occurrences have happened, but it's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - a matter of luck. I think dark lanes (and steep, not that I could outrun anyone even on the flat) are inherently scary, but someone (not Sydenham and ages ago) jumped out of a doorway on a well lit busy street at me (luckily only to snatch my bag). Can't live your life worrying I say but take sensible precautions. I worry more about being bitten by mosquitoes near trees after dark.
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

I have walked up and down that lane on a regular basis for the last eight years without any problems. It is well lit and there's a steady stream of people walking to and from the station, with limited options for any trouble-makers to suddenly appear (and disappear) from the side, as there are metal fences separating the lane from the woods. Much nicer than the area around Sydenham station!
Craig&Sha

Post by Craig&Sha »

Thanks both! Helfpul replies. Looking forward to joining the neighbourhood.
coldand

Post by coldand »

Being realistic if you are walking up a steep hill surrounded by woods late at night , with only means of exit either at the bottom or at the top , however well lit... You could be leaving yourself very vulnerable wherever you are. Have used the route many times and yes during the day it can be very busy but there are times when you could be alone especially out of rush hour . Better to be safe than sorry take the longer route !
Pally

Post by Pally »

I agree coldland, regrettable as it is!!
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

There is a high metal fence separating the pathway from the woods - the alternative route, of going up College Road, is also pretty quiet at night. Do you have any statistical evidence to suggest that that is any safer?
Pally

Post by Pally »

No I don't. I admit this is just my instinct and preference which may well be rubbish!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Instincts makes for less statistic's.
stuart

Post by stuart »

That path used to be one of our jogging routes so we would be going up it around 8.30pm. My memories is that waves of people go up it as they come off the trains at Sydenham Hill. Hence if you go with the crowd you should be OK as anywhere. I can't speak for the really late trains.

Oh - the beauty is its wide enough not to get mown down by over enthusiastic runners - or an opportunity to fine tune your calves and thighs on the way home. It is a bit of a climb at a trot!

Or you can ruin all the good work at the Dulwich Wood House.

There is a great crime map app you can check out reported incidents on a map. See if there is a cluster anywhere and avoid. Overall Sydenham tends to be just on the safer side of average for the Met but those stats are always subject to blips.

Stuart
Pally

Post by Pally »

Annie. wrote:Instincts makes for less statistic's.
I agree!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

robbieduncan wrote:http://maps.met.police.uk/index.php?are ... rimetype=8

Statistics of reported crime going down
Fixed that for you - actually the map that's linked shows that "total notifiable crime" is 'average' for this area.
obviously that's reported crimes that actually get recorded.
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

As it happens, I walked up the hill from the station very late last night and the night before (after 11:30 both nights) and on one night I was the only person around and the other night one of about three - I can see why people might have concerns but no bother either time.