Rebuild the Greyhound Pub Campaign #rebuildthegreyhound

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Rebuild the Greyhound Pub Campaign #rebuildthegreyhound

Post by Rachael »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Rachael wrote:I won't be tweeting Tracey Sultana because that is her personal Twitter account. I have no problem Tweeting companies and their official representatives, but I'm not comfortable with this. It won't do the campaign any good if it looks like individual Purelake's employees are being 'bullied'.

The people who have tweeted her about this have been very polite and appropriate in their comments, but it just takes one more, er, 'robust' comment, to put the campaign in a bad light.
If she isn't the official representative, then why was she asked for a comment then? Even if she came back with 'no comment'.
I take Admin's point that this is a small company and that the lines between the official and the personal are more blurred than for larger organisations. If her bio on Twitter had mentioned her role at Purelake, I would have felt perfectly happy to tweet her about the Greyhound. But it doesn't. So that's where I draw a line. Everyone has their own take on these things, that's my personal position.
michael

Post by michael »

The reviews are going well. Down from 5 stars yesterday to 1.5 stars today.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pure ... sk=reviews

If you do a Google search on Purelake you can leave a review of the company there as well (possibly you need a Google+ account). The great thing about this is that Google controls the reviews, not Purelake, and it shows up prominently when anybody Googles them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I was a hacker that entry would now be showing 'The Purelake Group | The Destructive Developer' :(

Admin
michael

Post by michael »

I'm no hacker, but I believe it would be possible to register a domain and set up a site linking directly to the campaign to save the Greyhound.

With links for local websites, and greater traffic than their main site, there is a good chance it could move higher up the Google rankings. But that is probably a step too far for me. I'll stick to leaving honest reviews and spreading the word of the petition at: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rebu ... yhound-pub
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is maybe a point to discuss tomorrow night.

Personally I am happy that the sydenhamsociety.com website takes the lead on this as it is their campaign and they already have ranking. All we need to do is point everything in our control at their campaign page.

Which, for the record, is: http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/2014/09/ ... hound-pub/
(it is easy to set up a much snappier link, talk to me)

Alternatively - or in addition it might be a good idea to print some leaflets (bright yellow?) in various sizes and/or stickers a bit like this:

#rebuildthegreyhound
sydenhamsociety.com

Stuck in shop windows and private houses it could succinctly tease and alert the masses that don't come here to what's going on and direct them to the info. Plus it would demonstrate to Purelake the depth and strength of our support.

Mine's a pint.

Admin

EDIT: Day changed - thanks nasaroc for the correction.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Some great ideas here.

Admin - you mention the meeting "this evening."

It's actually tomorrow night - 8pm Wednesday September 24 in the back room of the Golden Lion.

Essential that we get a good turn out if we are going to put some of these ideas into action!

Barry Milton
parklife

Post by parklife »

I have come across an interesting photo of the greyhound , from the start of the development of the site.
It's on the internet at The Lost Pubs Project/greyhound (sorry, don't know how to do links)

It shows the pub with the green barrier round it with a Lewisham logo , a Hexagon logo.
Also a purelake logo with a picture of a greyhound with the words "the Greyhound is up and running"
......"Greyhound has been shot by purelake" more like !!

Anyway, thought someone clever might find a use for the picture and purelakes promise to us
Also perhaps Lewisham and Hexagon might like a copy to consider whether they still want their respective logos on purelakes front page on internet

Finally, is it worth putting some flyers in the flats behind greyhound as the teneents may very well want to come to the meeting tomorrow , but don't know about it
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Parklife

You can leaflet the apartments , but I suspect most will not want a noisy pub very close. I could , of course , be wrong.

I cannot help thinking , from talking to others who have lived here all their life , that the people wanting to rebuild the pub are looking at its past with rose coloured spectacles. Or are they mostly incomers who never knew the Pub.

Since old enough to drink in 67 cannot recall ever thinking it was a nice Pub. Too be honest usually had completely the opposite response.

I always support people campaigning for a just cause , but do you honestly know that the majority of Sydenham is behind you.

This is not meant to attack anyone or cause any problems , but most I speak to , long term residents , want it pulled down soonest.
whatwhatjohn

Post by whatwhatjohn »

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/se26 ... hound.html

Here's the image Parklife mentioned
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I can assure you that the residents of the flats to the rear and side of the pub are furious about the fact that the pub has not been rebuilt and that new businesses have not been installed around the pub. They have complained loudly and clearly to their landlord (Hexagon) and a number of them have attended meetings to discuss this issue. One of them suggested in a recent meeting that he's looking forward to drinking the first pint in the new pub.

They quite rightly complain that they have to approach the entrance to their homes though a deteriorating mess of rubble, decaying hoardings, litter and weeds.

The residents aren't our opponents in this battle but our allies. I'm sure that one or two of them will want to attend any meetings that we set up with Lewisham's Mayor, our MP and the Chief Executive of LBL to discuss our case - but that's something that can be discussed at tomorrow's meeting.

I'll alert them to the fact that the meeting on Wednesday is taking place.

Barry Milton
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nasoroc

I apologise if some residents want the pub rebuilt.

I can fully understand their dislike of the rubble and that would be solved by new Pub or demolishing it.
NEMO

Post by NEMO »

I have to take issue with Eagle on this
[quote="Eagle"

You can leaflet the apartments , but I suspect most will not want a noisy pub very close. I could , of course , be wrong.

I cannot help thinking , from talking to others who have lived here all their life , that the people wanting to rebuild the pub are looking at its past with rose coloured spectacles. Or are they mostly incomers who never knew the Pub.

Since old enough to drink in 67 cannot recall ever thinking it was a nice Pub. Too be honest usually had completely the opposite response.

I always support people campaigning for a just cause , but do you honestly know that the majority of Sydenham is behind you.

This is not meant to attack anyone or cause any problems , but most I speak to , long term residents , want it pulled down soonest.
When I first moved to Sydenham I would go to the Greyhound for their Sunday lunchtime jazz sessions. Which I greatly miss.
The tiled hall was a gem, I hope it can be restored.
The Greyhound wasn't any better or worse than the other pubs in the area at that time.
Even if it was a rough pub before it doesn't follow that a rebuilt Greyhound will be so again. Sydenham is changing for the better, it could be a great pub.
Let's not be defeatist about this.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Nemo , the tiled hall was a gem. I agree.

The Beer and , for the most part, the clientele , were not , i regret.

True it could be a decent Pub , but just gain impression that some people on this site , must be talking about another Pub.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

edit - deleted. Unnecessarily digging out a negative poster.
Last edited by Smiffy on 23 Sep 2014 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Let's not get bogged down in discussing things that are completely irrelevant to this campaign. We want to rebuild The Greyhound so it can become something new, not send it through a time machine.

If fly posting wasn't illegal, a sign on the hoardings advertising the meeting and campaign would be a good idea.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

Signed, FB'd and Tweeted. Fingers crossed we can do something about this.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to review the page. Purelake have blocked me.

Nice.

G-Man
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With a rating now down to 1.3 I think Purelake have already have got the message:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pure ... sk=reviews

Don't forget it is TONIGHT 8PM GOLDEN LION (rear room) if you wish to share ideas for more innovative methods of persuasion.

Admin
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Some cracking comments on their fb page. Might take some grabs... :P
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Manwithaview1 wrote:Some cracking comments on their fb page. Might take some grabs... :P
Done that. Don't forget to keep checking and tweeting: https://twitter.com/hashtag/rebuildthegreyhound

Admin