Threatening behaviour at Lower Sydenham Station parking

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonh

Threatening behaviour at Lower Sydenham Station parking

Post by jonh »

I drive my pregnant wife to lower sydenham station and leave the car their most days.

However suddenly a couple of months ago parking went from easy to sometimes impossible. What happened?

The stretch from the sports centre to the station was always just station users which was evident as after 9pm all the cars would be gone. But now cars are parked their 24/7.

I suspect the problem has been caused by the car sales business and the accident repair company parking all their stock and cars waiting for repair here. This is illegal according to my understanding of the law.

Adding to this the big stretch of parking the bacon sandwich hut Cordons off . There's little space left.

Plus to make matters worse I've now been threatened twice with having my car hit my lorries of I parked in a legal spot further down the road ?

Has anyone else been threatened?

I've complained to Lewisham council but they were useless.

Am I alone in this ?
Mumcah

Re: Threatening behaviour at Lower Sydenham Station parking

Post by Mumcah »

Hi,
I've not had any threatening behaviour but the parking situation has become a nightmare.
I work evenings mainly and it used to be a doddle to park. Even last Saturday evening most of the road is full. I always thought it was the MOT place?
At least all the white vans have gone from the Hermes warehouse.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No excuse for violent behavior , but I am fed up with people parking in my road to use the station .

Surely no one in Sydenham lives that far from a station. Driving just clogs up the street.

If I am correct you are talking about the Business Park. Hopefully this brings jobs for locals and surely beneficial to the community as a whole.
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

I don't feel safe walking home from Lower Sydenham station on my own at night and so that is why I park at the station!
If you live right next to a station then people will park on the roads near it!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

True old chap or chapess , but why should that be.

My parents used to live in Dacres Rd at FH end , they did not have a car , but if nurses or carers called had to park a long way away , all because of selfish people not prepared to walk to the station.

If more people walked there would be less fear of safety.
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

I don't think I'm being selfish,I just don't want to walk down that dark,deserted and scary road on my own at night. I think that's fair enough?
I do walk in the mornings if I have to go into work though,it's a twenty minute walk for me so not too bad.
So does the Beckenham MOT place not bother you at all with all their cars parked along the road?Also,have you noticed it becoming busier in recent months?
mosy

Post by mosy »

[quote="Mumcah"...[clip]...]Also,have you noticed it becoming busier in recent months?[/quote]

In station car parks, I always think that how full it is regularly is a good indicator of how many people have jobs. Of course, parking in them makes your car a sitting duck as thieves know it'll be there all day and know how to avoid cameras and go round the lot :roll: That doesn't excuse that people park on side roads but might go some way to explain it.

Violence or street crime against a person is a rather different issue.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Of course zero support for any violence in this , or any , situation.

It is indeed difficult,

Was in Homecroft Rd today and Venner Road last week visiting. In both cases parking has become a virtual no go area for the residents because of the station parkers.

I do appreciate give and take required and no one more tolerant than me , but I do think these station parkers do not give enough consideration to the locals and their needs.

The road you refer to is a commercial area mainly but some residential and sporting . There are very few commercial areas locally and these employ hopefully many local people.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Try living in Peak Hill Gardens and the surrounding area - it's a nightmare to park during the day because of the commuters into London - the gate to the up line to London Bridge is at the bottom of the road and also we residents have to contend with the patrons of LA Fitness which is just round the corner. Would love to have a CPZ but don't think it would be popular with the other residents. All that would be needed is as they do in Bromley borough - residents parking only between 12 - 2.00pm. That would sort it out.

I tend to go most places by public transport or walk - it keeps me fit.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Gilly

My point exactly , you have the same problem as Homecroft and Venner.

Resident only parking for 1 hour a day would all that is needed. The hour could vary with roads so one traffic warden could cover many many roads.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I would be in favour of residents parking. I am on bottom of Tredown Road and have to contend with station parkers and Newlands Park residents who don't want to leave their car on busy road. Fed up of not being able to park remotely near my property. Penge East was changed last year, I don't know why sydenham doesn't also. It would also help reduce traffic on the roads.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bunty

Hopefully most residents think like you. I will e mail councillor .

I know Tredown well and can appreciate your problem.

It is the selfish staion parkers who disrupt the lives of people living even remotely near a station.

Come on Lewisham CPZ's near ALL stations NOW.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Trouble with CPZs is it doesn't still guarantee you a parking space even though you would have to pay for the Zone does it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No you are quite correct. But it means you will have a much greater chance as the selfish station parkers will not be allowed.

No system perfect Annie. Nominal fee just enough to pay for Warden to Police
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Fair enough Eagle, I can see what you mean and I must admit I was hoping for the CPZS when I lived in Sydenham, but it was a bit off putting when I thought maybe we still wouldn't get a parking space, and I'm always against the slippery slope of starting something that cost money nominal or not because the council seem to increase the amount as the years go on.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is a difficult one Annie , I agree.

Roads near Sydenham Station chock a block from about 7.30 am to about 6.30 pm weekdays.

As the selfish people will not stop then CPZ's probably only answer. I agree no place guaranteed , but will be a lot easier than now.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

The area around Lower Sydenham station is mainly industrial/business centres?

Most if not all have parking for those staff working there or for visiting customers, so these groups shouldn't be affected.

I agree it does get packed with station parkers, however can't agree they are selfish Eagle. People have the right to park there as they are doing so legally, and we don't know everyone's circumstances for driving to the station do we?

However, the other problem this brings is the restricted road space for the large vehicles which constantly use this road (I'm talking Kangley Bridge side). I've seen on a number of occasions the traffic come to a standstill, and a few wing mirrors seeing better days.
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

I think Sydenham station parking and lower Sydenham station parking are different issues. There are many more residents near Sydenham and penge east and I would hate not being able to park near my house too.
Like someone else said Lower Syd is mainly industrial and quite a lot of the houses there have driveways anyway.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Probably situation around Venner Road more serious than Lower Sydenham . However a commercial area needs room for clients etc and trucks to park.

Perhaps we should first call for an urgent CPz in the Venner Road Toastrack , as it seems to be called.

Fortunately very few residents have garden parking ( which should be banned ) or garages.

Councillors action please......
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Why is parking in a public road selfish?

A highway is public property and local residents have no greater right to park there than anyone else. If you want a guaranteed place to park why now buy a house with a drive? You don't need a car in london anyway.