RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Annie. »

I'm with you on your best wishes for the pub Rachael, it will be lovely to see the end result.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Fantastic news - extremely well done to Syd Soc , Chris Best and everyone thst decided it had to be rebuilt . Eatery welcome but I do hope it will still be a pub though .
A very good evening
Nigel
sydres

Post by sydres »

Well done to all those involved in campaigning for this building to be brought back to life however, I think in the coming months we should all be making sure Purelake fulfil their obligation to rebuild until the doors open for business again!
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Rachael wrote: It does make me wonder what the hold up actually was, if it could be resolved so quickly.
Was thinking the same thing makes me wonder why a little bit of campaigning was not done a lot earlier.We supported the campaign for the Pub but hope it does not turn into a giant coffee shop by day.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Two excellent points - we do need to keep up vigilance and we will not accept a Cafe Costa Nero Republic much less an Upstartbucks .
I think all of the credit expressed is fully deserved but we are not there yet .
A very good evening
Nigel
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

sugahill cafe wrote:
Rachael wrote: It does make me wonder what the hold up actually was, if it could be resolved so quickly.
Was thinking the same thing makes me wonder why a little bit of campaigning was not done a lot earlier.We supported the campaign for the Pub but hope it does not turn into a giant coffee shop by day.
Two points. First, a number of options for ensuring the necessary permissions were in place for rebuilding of the Greyhound were explored in recent months. This took time and, sadly, the options pursued were not successful (not least because of Lewisham Council planning officers' reluctance to get involved to the extent that was required). The options pursued were, however, sensible and constructive.

Second, nobody should be under the impression that what's taken place in the last few weeks has been 'a little bit of campaigning', as sugahill cafe put it. A number of people have spent many hours of their own time writing and sending press releases, briefing journalists, briefing planning officers and councillors (including advising them on the finer points of planning enforcement law), developing and maintaining an extensive social media campaign, attending meetings... I could go on. Hardly 'a little bit of campaigning'.

As sydres suggests, the task now is to keep tabs on Purelake to ensure they rebuild the pub.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

By a little bit of campaigning i meant it only seemed to take a few weeks to get a result once it got off the ground.That's true is it not? Not trying to take anything away from efforts made backstage so to speak.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

sugahill cafe wrote:By a little bit of campaigning i meant it only seemed to take a few weeks to get a result once it got off the ground.That's true is it not?
That is true, but don't forget that in dealing with this issue in the last few weeks the Mayor of Lewisham indicated that the Council would take further legal action against Purelake if Purelake did not return to site, with the significant legal costs this implies.

I think it's highly unlikely that the Mayor would have dealt with the matter so decisively had he not been satisfied that other options had been explored. Sadly exploring those other options took time.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

I understand, let's big up! the Mayor then....will be nice to have this site sorted out.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I met the Lewisham Head of Planning just two weeks ago and he reconfirmed to me that his full expectation was for the pub to be completed by April 2015 but that he intended to ask for clear "building method statements" to ensure there could be no deviation from the agreed plan.
This was confirmed at yesterday evening's LBL Full Council when I asked a question about progress on the rebuilding work. The reply was that the developer has agreed to supply the council by the 3rd December with "method statements" of how they intend to carry out the work. These include a structural survey of the existing building and clear statements about issues such as safeguarding the tiled design on the rear exterior of the building. They also include the need to show how internal girders will be removed safely and how they intend to reinstate the tiles from the former "drinking corridor" in the pub interior. All in all, this will give added reassurance that the pub will be rebuilt to a high standard and to the existing 2010 planning consent.
We are creeping steadily to the point where developers will soon get back on site at the Greyhound (and the developer has fixed scaffolding in place as a notice of "good intent"). But I think that it's correct that the planners are allowed a short period to ensure that the work will be done correctly.

Incidentally, in a separate question about the Greyhound asked by Sydenham councillor Liam Curran, it was revealed that the total lost business rates on the Greyhound from when it was closed on 13 August 2007 to 31 March 2015 is £120,538.

Barry Milton
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thank you once again for giving an update on here :)

I hope the method statements do come through on 3 Dec (tomorrow) but I guess two things - loss of rates (mounting) will keep the council engaged with pressure if necessaary, lol, but also, "good intent" scaffolding ain't cheap so I guess the developer/builder won't want to be paying for its hire indefinitely either.

It's good that the council is insisting on a "proper job" of the rebuild.
parklife

Post by parklife »

Anyone any news ?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes Lewisham Planning officers are meeting Purelake and their agent early next week to discuss the structural information required to rebuild the pub.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

We've now heard that Lewisham planners met the Greyhound's owners on site on Monday to discuss the methods to be employed for the removal of the RSJ and the mezzanine floor prior to rebuilding the Greyhound in order to comply with the 2010 planning permission.

It's been agreed that the roof should be rebuilt in order to "pull the building together" before the unauthorised floor can be removed. Other matters of detail were also discussed and additional information will be provided to Lewisham by the owners’ planning consultants.

Although it had been hoped that work would start during December it is now likely that it will be January before this happens. However the timetable for the rebuild remains as April 2015.

Fingers crossed for good weather!

Annabel McLaren, Chair, Sydenham Society
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Good news. Well done to all involved! Anyone any idea who is going to take on the pub? Has anyone contacted Antic or Late Knights about taking it on? Would be a shame for it to be empty for any significant time.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The developer has told one of the other two parties who have a financial interest in the site that a "number of pub operators are keen on taking on the business". The core group from the Rebuild the Greyhound Campaign have spread the word and have organised a number of meetings with prospective owners (we held a two-hour meeting with Late Knights in November, for example). Of course, we can encourage and disseminate information - at the end of the day it's down to the owners what happens.

Barry Milton
parklife

Post by parklife »

Anyone know when work due to start on greyhound ?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes, I was wondering when things were going to start happening. Any news?

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I hope will not turn out to be an April Fool.

Really it would be upsetting to all if the schedule not adhered to.