RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Suzee

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Suzee »

Surprise surprise the issue of kids in pubs comes up again. I really don't see what the problem is. Sydenham is crying out for a family - friendly pub where we can have a relaxed Sunday lunch with our children or a weekday morning/lunchtime parent-baby/toddler group can meet and therefore boost the usage and profits of the pub. A couple of toys or books would be great. There have been several examples mentioned of where this works.
We're not going to be dragging our brood down the boozer on a Friday night at 9pm. I can't remember the last time I entered a pub on a Friday night ;-)
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Hi all - 'Sainsbury's' have been mentioned a few times over this posting. Has their involvement in locating to the premises next door to the Greyhound been confirmed? A lot has happend in the world of finance and in the retail sector since it was first announced that the pub would be re-built (many moons ago), and so am wondering if that particular retailer has commited to that space. I rather like Sainsbury's (Waitrose would be great too! or Maybe even a small branch of Fortnum and Mason; but I shouldn't get carried away! :wink: )
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:Hi all - 'Sainsbury's' have been mentioned a few times over this posting. Has their involvement in locating to the premises next door to the Greyhound been confirmed? A lot has happend in the world of finance and in the retail sector since it was first announced that the pub would be re-built (many moons ago), and so am wondering if that particular retailer has commited to that space. I rather like Sainsbury's (Waitrose would be great too! or Maybe even a small branch of Fortnum and Mason; but I shouldn't get carried away! :wink: )

I was wondering the same. Tesco cancelled a lot of their expansion plans though that was due to financial trouble but I have not heard the same for Sainsbury. I only hope it's not too small. As someone who lives opposite it would be nice to have a larger sized supermarket than the little Tesco that is in easy walking distance, the large Sainsbury at Bell Green is all well and good but a bit of a trek if you have many bags of shopping :)

On the subject of children/family pubs, that is very much going to depend on what kind of environment the brewery/owners are going to want to achieve. As an ex pub licensee I can say that this swings two ways and the majority of landlords that want a family type environment generally would want a public house that has outside space and decent sized catering facilities to have a larger and better food offer than standard pub fayre, this way they don't alienate the clientelle that want to sit and drink without screaming kids (I know I am generalising there) and achieving it without alienating families, so for an ideal environment that suits all, these venues are usually large, larger than the plot the Greyhound seems to have.

I only hope it won't be a J D Wetherspoons!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Off-topic, but I'd love a local pub that served its regular menu on a Sunday. We like to go out for lunch on a Sunday, but we don't want a roast dinner. So frustrating when you are looking forward to the thing you like best from the usual menu, only it's not there, because it's Sunday...
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The planning application for a glazed extension to the pub on the western elevation, together with a new external staircase to the rear, is now available on Lewisham Council's website.

To the view the application, including plans and supporting information, go to http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... pplication and search for 'DC/15/92039' (without quotation marks).
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Is the upstairs part of the pub or flats? If it's part of the pub a "kids room" might be possible...
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

robbieduncan wrote:Is the upstairs part of the pub or flats?
Part of the pub.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

BTW, there appears to be two different sets of 'proposed' plans on the planning application record. In fact:
- The plans marked 'as approved' show what Purelake currently have permission for
- The plans NOT marked 'as approved' show what Purelake are now proposing

Simple, eh?
mosy

Post by mosy »

robbieduncan wrote:Is the upstairs part of the pub or flats? If it's part of the pub a "kids room" might be possible...
That occurred to me too as my major concern as I've said would be kids escaping into traffic, which an upper floor would prevent whilst still allowing open door access at ground level. I didn't suggest it for two reasons: (1) It's up to the new business to decide and (2) I don't think there'll be a lift to get buggies up there plus would supervision be necessary under H&S laws, which would be quite costly. I haven't checked the plans yet though <- thanks for which, biscuitman1978.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

A quick update post Mayor and Cabinet meeting last night.

No real news except the Conservatory application is in and due for consultation shortly. The application for an outside staircase is in, but under query as to need.

Completion date is anticipated as September. Work is slower than expected but is due to intricate brickwork/chimneys, which work is considered to be of a very good standard. The mezzanine floor will be removed at roof level as soon as the overall structure is sufficiently sound to allow.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

If we are to have a grocers there, then I would rather have a Waitrose or M&S as at least they offer something different to the chains we currently have in Sydenham. I think an M&S would be received particularly well especially by the commuters of which I am one.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

A quick update on progress on site:

Whilst progress appears to have been slow over the past couple of weeks, a fair amount of work has been done on the brickwork, including the replacement of bricks in the front elevation where large cracks were running almost the full height of the building.

In addition, the lintel over the right hand ground floor window has been prepared for replacement.

Finally, some work on the roof took place at the end of the last week (at the dormer valleys, i.e. where the dormer roofs meet the main roof),
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted an elavated picture, mostly as not a lot of visual work had taken place.

This weekend they started on the timber work and decorative features of the triangle things (gables? Biscuitman will need to confirm, I have no idea lol).

Brickwork seems to have been cleaned all round too.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Nice picture, shame about the monstrosity behind it. Pity they didn't "accidentally" knock those awful flats down....as I said Architect should be jailed as well as the planning officer who allowed it.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

I think they are doing a really nice job so far. I like the way the chimneys obscure those flats, and the wooden detailing at the edge of the roof looks great.

Looking forward to seeing it with the hoardings removed, think there will be quite a lot of space.

Does anyone know if the white posts surrounding the building are staying or being replaced with the silver ones at the right blocking the 'road' bit?
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Yes - the pub and it's immediate area (hopefully with some salubrious shops) could indeed be a great view as one drives through Sydenham from the Kirkdale or Crystal Palace side.
I remember the lovely late 19thC tiles internal to the pub. I know they were kept in storage, and I hope they will make an appearance again....
Onwards an upwards.... (despite the awful rain today)...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Posted this before but you may like it Mr Shiney:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 271&type=1
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

This week has seen the lintel over the left hand ground floor window replaced. The lintel over the right hand ground floor window is being replaced as I write this post.

In addition, as Tubby notes above, detailing has been added to the roof. So far it's been added to the main gable at the end of the building closest to the roundabout, as well as to two of the dormers* at the front. I'm pleased to see that they've used the old materials in doing so.

BTW, there is a high resolution photo of the Greyhound pre-demolition at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 307%29.jpg (click on it to enlarge). It's quite useful if you want to keep tabs on the accuracy of the rebuild.

* I keep referring to dormers, but I think Parker1970 more accurately refers to them as gables, i.e. gables above bay windows.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Re. accuracy...I hope that they do NOT plaster over the brickwork as it was before!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm hoping that the re-build will be good enough to draw the eye away from the box structure behind that was somehow allowed without any architectural merit that I can see. (No offence to occupiers of course.)