RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by leenewham »

Aren't they 45 minutes now?
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Latest coverage on the Greyhound in South London Press - http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/arti ... ?id=115943
harrym

Post by harrym »

I really hope a nice restaurant opens there. I'd love somewhere local to eat with the kids. We went to Honest Burger in Peckham yesterday and it's awesome. Somewhere like that would be perfect in Sydenham. Great food, great design, great staff and really good value. Hope you are reading this Honest... Haha!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I'm surprised Antic never came back seeing that they were originally going to open up (even to the point of having the Greyhound on their website) and they only pulled out because of the complete arse Purelake seemed to make of things. They still would have been the best bet, I would have thought - especially with their connection to south London and similar 'up and coming' areas like New Cross and Streatham.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sydenhamboy wrote: 'up and coming' areas like New Cross
#ThingsINeverExpectedToHear

:) :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

sydenhamboy wrote:I'm surprised Antic never came back seeing that they were originally going to open up (even to the point of having the Greyhound on their website) and they only pulled out because of the complete arse Purelake seemed to make of things. They still would have been the best bet, I would have thought - especially with their connection to south London and similar 'up and coming' areas like New Cross and Streatham.
Perhaps a lightly renovated Greyhound would have been cheaper to rent than the fully rebuilt incarnation.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

This is outside my comfort zone. But when the fire started at the boarded-up Greyhound, it was under ownership of Milford Homes. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The plot was sold to Purelake, very soon afterwards, and the current development approved. (albeit after unauthorised demolition)

It would seem that Milford and Purelake have a habit of walking the 'fine line' in terms of proposed developments.

fingers crossed for the Greyhound and surrounding units.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Parker1970 wrote:
sydenhamboy wrote: 'up and coming' areas like New Cross
#ThingsINeverExpectedToHear

:) :)
Ok maybe that's pushing it a bit but you know what I mean. I heard somebody mention Thamesmead as upcoming the other day. Now that is weird!

#yeahwhatever!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Just a quick reminder that you can follow the campaign to rebuild the Greyhound - and now to find an occupier - on Twitter.

Please follow and Retweet!
shibbycribby

Post by shibbycribby »

Just seen Sainsburys posters being put up on the way back from work on the shop front to the right of the Greyhound, says opens March 17th, I guess that cements whats going in that block. Hopefully there's still room for an independent unit or 2 to go in round the back.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

shibbycribby wrote:Just seen Sainsburys posters being put up on the way back from work on the shop front to the right of the Greyhound, says opens March 17th, I guess that cements whats going in that block. Hopefully there's still room for an independent unit or 2 to go in round the back.
That unit is currently being used as a site office so maybe the posters are just there to alert people that Sainsburys is opening. I've seen Sainsburys bods going in and out of the unit at the back.
parker

Post by parker »

shibbycribby wrote:Just seen Sainsburys posters being put up on the way back from work on the shop front to the right of the Greyhound, says opens March 17th, I guess that cements whats going in that block. Hopefully there's still room for an independent unit or 2 to go in round the back.
Makes sense that they are taking the larger fronted road-facing unit to the right of the Greyhound. Thought the discussions on here said they were going behind the pub...
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Sainsbury's are taking the unit to the rear of the pub (although they also propose to install an ATM in the unit fronting Kirkdale, adjacent to Harbour 321 fish and chip shop), as you can see from the plan below,

The elevation below gives you an idea of what it will look like.

parker

Post by parker »

It's strange they are putting a cashpoint in a separate unit to the actual store especially when that seperate unit is in a better location than where their shop entrance is going to be. Oh well, we shall see. This vacant pub building is worrying now though. Maybe the opening of the Sainsbury's will attract a tenant for both vacant units.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Great idea. A pub/creche/playground selling organic real ale, wine and fruit drinks for the families, to be entertained in a story corner and upper show.

We could have child friendly tunes or childrens stories on the juke box! Everyone loves a bit of Roald Dahl.

We could call it 'The Greyhound and Puppies'.

I'm glad you suggested it Rod ;-)
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Does anyone know what happened to the proposed conservatory? I noticed there is still a big boarded up opening on that side but as it's on the market now does that mean all the building work has been completed?
parker

Post by parker »

It might become a Foxtons :lol:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The conservatory is part of the planning application, but they aren't building it (as far as I know).

Which is a shame. It would make a big difference to the ambience of the pub.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

parker wrote:It's strange they are putting a cashpoint in a separate unit to the actual store especially when that seperate unit is in a better location than where their shop entrance is going to be. Oh well, we shall see.
I suspect that Sainsbury's preferred the unit to the rear of the pub because it's significantly larger than the one to the side. The ATM will, however, give Sainsbury's a presence on Kirkdale and the opportunity to include a sign directing people to the store.
parker wrote:This vacant pub building is worrying now though. Maybe the opening of the Sainsbury's will attract a tenant for both vacant units.
The pub has been on the market for only a very short time - since the end of January. I don't think we need worry too much yet.

In any case, the Sydenham Society has a pending application to designate the pub as an asset of community value. I suspect that potential purchasers/tenants will wait until that's resolved before making any firm offers.
Tubby wrote:Does anyone know what happened to the proposed conservatory? I noticed there is still a big boarded up opening on that side but as it's on the market now does that mean all the building work has been completed?
leenewham wrote:The conservatory is part of the planning application, but they aren't building it (as far as I know).

Which is a shame. It would make a big difference to the ambience of the pub.
Whilst planning permission has been granted for the conservatory, it will almost certainly be added only if whomever buys or rents the building wants it.
parker wrote:It might become a Foxtons :lol:
The planning permission is for A3 use (café or restaurant) or A4 use (pub/bar). Nothing else will be acceptable without a planning permission for change of use.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Does anyone know if a lift is planned to the upper floor? I imagine there would have to be one if not to discriminate against the several non-stair categories of people (though I'm no expert of course), assuming upper floor would be a public area.