RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by G-Man »

It would be terrible if it was a Costa!

Back to my comment earlier about High Streets becoming so generic. You go to Oz for example and that just doesn't exist. Consumers avoid big chains, high streets/cities don't allow chains. And if you run a chain each has to look different and be individual.

I just don't understand our obsession with generic chains in this country.

Let's get back to pubs...

Geronimo? Or perhaps Fullers? Or perhaps the Metropolitan Pub Co who run the Florence in Herne Hill amongst other lovely boozers - http://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/

G-man
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Maybe we should start a sweepstake?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

G-Man wrote:It would be terrible if it was a Costa!

Back to my comment earlier about High Streets becoming so generic. You go to Oz for example and that just doesn't exist. Consumers avoid big chains, high streets/cities don't allow chains. And if you run a chain each has to look different and be individual.

I just don't understand our obsession with generic chains in this country.

Let's get back to pubs...

Geronimo? Or perhaps Fullers? Or perhaps the Metropolitan Pub Co who run the Florence in Herne Hill amongst other lovely boozers - http://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/

G-man
I just have been dreaming when http://www.gloriajeanscoffees.com was packed each and every morning then
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

robbieduncan wrote:
I just have been dreaming when http://www.gloriajeanscoffees.com was packed each and every morning then
Okay - Maybe saying Oz was a bit to general - after all it's massive!!!

I'm just going on a friends experience when trying to get a trading license for a restaurant in Melbourne. He found it very hard as his long term business plan involved opening 3 more places.

Perhaps Gloria Jeans were going long before this, or it's a relatively new stance adopted in Melbourne only (Although he did say it was a general feeling in Oz cities). Anyway you don't see many chains in Melbourne and there is a real shop local vibe there.

Now PUBS please
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

G Plan

Surely Lassiter's rules in Melbourne
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

I was speaking to the guys at Nisa local yesterday & in his own words 'we don't know what to do' since the opening of Sainsburys there trade has dropped off dramatically such a shame they are nice people no doubt an opening of a generic coffee shop here would do the same to us & probably blue mountain also.A strong traders group could could oppose such openings but we don't have one I know in fh the traders halted an opening of another supermarket there (can't remember which one now). I hope the Greyhound becomes a pub & something different to what is currently on offer but permission for a Costa etc to arrive there would not surprise me the powers that be here really lack some vision.
mosy

Post by mosy »

It's not a question of lack of vision by the powers that be but a case of their hands being tied if a business is within the planning application category given it's privately owned building.

Is there any point in ringing Acorn to ask what they can tell us, like how far an "offer" has progressed? I don't suppose they'll be prepared to give out a name but won't know unless someone asks them.
Edit PS: They might be allowed to tell us the type of business.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

When I say lack of vision I refer to the whole site this has been ongoing for what 9 years & we are still guessing to what will eventually arrive here.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Shame a well respected convenience store suffering because too many convenience stores allowed in one place.

Not sure why people have been calling a a J W Sainsbury in that spot.
mosy

Post by mosy »

sugahill cafe wrote:When I say lack of vision I refer to the whole site this has been ongoing for what 9 years & we are still guessing to what will eventually arrive here.
*Rant alert* OK, but to be honest, I think there was a much greater lack of vision by allowing the featureless "box" flats behind which have no architectural merit whatsoever. Water under the bridge I know, but thank goodness that they aren't the gateway to Sydenham whoever takes The Greyhound.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

The spare retail unit that was the site office for sainsbury is a hive of activity today. Moving in wood and shelving etc. Not sure if it now site office for greyhound or if someone is moving into the retail space.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Parker1970 wrote:The spare retail unit that was the site office for sainsbury is a hive of activity today. Moving in wood and shelving etc. Not sure if it now site office for greyhound or if someone is moving into the retail space.
We have heard a rumour today regarding this unit.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sugahill cafe wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:The spare retail unit that was the site office for sainsbury is a hive of activity today. Moving in wood and shelving etc. Not sure if it now site office for greyhound or if someone is moving into the retail space.
We have heard a rumour today regarding this unit.
Well don't tease! What was the rumour?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Good news!

Purelake confirm that their recent marketing literature has been aimed at pub operators.

The property is to be sold with the purchaser being made fully aware of its recently acquired legal, and existing planning status – as an Asset of Community Value.

It will be for the purchaser to assess how their proposed use fits in with that framework. Purelake is encouraged to have received a number of offers from ‘independent ‘gastro pub type operators and will be using use the remainder of the ACV moratorium period to 28 April to verify the viability of these offers.

Happy Easter!
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Good news! A 9 year wait for a big Costa would have been rubbish.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Whiftoff wrote:Good news! A 9 year wait for a big Costa would have been rubbish.
Yes it can feel around that time to get served teabag tea and turgid cake. Sorry, that's at Gatwick - Costa seemed to be the only place to get refreshment at 3am. Slow and discourteous staff. Otherwise I avoid the cafe chains completely.

The good news is it might help others to appreciate how much better Sugahill and the other real local cafes we have in town. I don't think they need to panic.

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

There's definitely room for a chain coffee shop in Sydenham Road. At least then Sydenham might have somewhere with a 5 FSA hygiene rating to get a coffee and sandwich from and might smarten the place up a bit.
clembot

Post by clembot »

The only chain that would be a good one for the pub would be a cote. Not enough decent eateries locally.
parker

Post by parker »

clembot wrote:The only chain that would be a good one for the pub would be a cote. Not enough decent eateries locally.
I wouldn't want the pub building to be anything other than a pub by someone like Antic or a chain restaurant, but I hope the Orb opposite or the side unit with the Sainsbury's cashpoint becomes a chain coffee shop for the reasons I've given above. A Pret or Caffe Nero would be nice but think they'd be sick in the mouth at the thought of opening in Sydenham, it'll probably be a Costa if a chain coffee shop comes to Sydenham.
clembot

Post by clembot »

There's enough places for a bloody coffee already..