RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
aunty

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by aunty »

Thank you Pat for the update.
parker

Post by parker »

Thanks for the update Pat. A KfH estate agent should definitely smarten the location up. Surprising they haven't already got a branch in Sydenham anyway.

Looking forward to an update on who's got the pub site.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

To reply to Stuart.

Anyone who is a member of the Sydenham Society would have learned through our summer newsletter, distributed by end of May (autumn edition going to the printers on Monday), that " Kirkdale/Springhill is a likely future development site. We understand that the site fronting both of these roads, including the former nightclub, the Regency Snooker Club, ground floor retail units and offices above, but excluding the flats over the bridal gown store and under the dome, has recently been sold. The new owners are considering options for it, particularly the nightclub and the former members’ snooker club."
[/b]
We also understand CAB will be be going to Lee shortly, creating a vacancy here.

Today, I noticed Zanzibar has corregated sheeting across its entrance. It would appear that, without creating too many rumours, whatever is left is ripe for redevelopment, one way and another.

Oh, let loose the Dogs of War on STF................
parker

Post by parker »

Pat Trembath wrote:Today, I noticed Zanzibar has corregated sheeting across its entrance. It would appear that, without creating too many rumours, whatever is left is ripe for redevelopment, one way and another.

:lol: Maybe we could all discuss for the millionth time how we'd like to see it become an M&S Foodhall or Waitrose and carry on being sitting ducks while the site rots away for another 20 years.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How about a nice Department Store , what a novel idea . Could be called Cobb's .

I do not think many tears will be shed over the demise on Tanzania Night Club.
coll

Post by coll »

I've often pasthttp://www.morleystooting.co.uk/ and thought it would go well in that space.
parker

Post by parker »

Have you ever stepped inside Morley's in Tooting, or the larger sister store in Brixton? It's mostly everything you can buy from stores like Argos or The Range, but priced to the hilt like John Lewis. Give me an Argos or Wilko in that location any day. Would be more fitting I think.

Anyway, back to The Greyhound. Predictions?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

How about an enthusiastic and mission-orientated evangelical church? Would liven the area up a bit.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Robin Orton wrote:How about an enthusiastic and mission-orientated evangelical church? Would liven the area up a bit.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Parker1970 wrote:
Terrell County. 'No Country For Old Men'?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Robin Orton wrote:
Terrell County. 'No Country For Old Men'?
Yup :)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Right, got it. OK. Very good. Yup. Er...
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Back on subject...

Pat on the back for Sainsbury's (not responsible in their Lease) for some guerilla gardening this morning. They've cleared the weeds in the piazza outside their unit and on Springhill.

All slowly moving in the right direction.....not as quickly as we in Sydenham would want but.....
scb

Post by scb »

By very random coincidence a discussion about Sydenham with a friend,has led me to understand that the buyer of the Greyhound runs a small group of pubs, closest one being in Balham. Privately owned and very well run. Believe more news on this is being released fairly soon
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

scb wrote:By very random coincidence a discussion about Sydenham with a friend,has led me to understand that the buyer of the Greyhound runs a small group of pubs, closest one being in Balham. Privately owned and very well run. Believe more news on this is being released fairly soon
Sounds promising. I'd still had hopes over Antic. Going to their new one at Elephant and Castle on Saturday. My friend's brother works for Antic so had been meaning to bend his ear about the Greyhound.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

scb wrote:By very random coincidence a discussion about Sydenham with a friend,has led me to understand that the buyer of the Greyhound runs a small group of pubs, closest one being in Balham. Privately owned and very well run. Believe more news on this is being released fairly soon
Metropolitan, perchance? If so that'd be good, they've got some great pubs in East Dulwich, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill and their menu ain't bad.
parker

Post by parker »

After all these years awaiting its reopening I really do hope they are the perfect tenant and they make a roaring success of the place. Hopefully there'll be a rippling effect attracting other similar successful businesses to the area, if it can work in neighbouring areas it should work in Sydenham.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Aopls not relevant to the Greyhound but does anyone have news on the Orb opposite by the bridge? I thought that'd have been snapped up by now.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Pat Trembath wrote:To reply to Stuart.

Anyone who is a member of the Sydenham Society would have learned through our summer newsletter, distributed by end of May (autumn edition going to the printers on Monday), that " Kirkdale/Springhill is a likely future development site. We understand that the site fronting both of these roads, including the former nightclub, the Regency Snooker Club, ground floor retail units and offices above, but excluding the flats over the bridal gown store and under the dome, has recently been sold. The new owners are considering options for it, particularly the nightclub and the former members’ snooker club."
[/b]
We also understand CAB will be be going to Lee shortly, creating a vacancy here.

Today, I noticed Zanzibar has corregated sheeting across its entrance. It would appear that, without creating too many rumours, whatever is left is ripe for redevelopment, one way and another.

Pat - is there any way I could find out who the new owners are, and contact them? I'd like to ask them if it would be possible to hire [the former] Zanzibar for an event, while it still has the facilities for live music there.
parker

Post by parker »

When are Kinleigh Folkard and Hayward opening next to The Greyhound? There looks as if there's been nil amount of activity on the site. I was looking forward to some Foxton-esque floor to ceiling style windows being put in by now.