RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by leenewham »

I hope it's a decent pub and not Nando's. Please. Not Nando's.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Maybe a massive estate agents! Sure that would finally kill any glimmers of soul that that area once possessed.

Sorry. It's just all a bit depressing. Maybe the Estate agents could try selling each other?
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Perhaps a crack team of the slimiest estate agents in Sydenham could set up a new estate agents in the greyhound and try to sell it from within!

My apologies once again.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Rest assured Tubby that The Greyhound probably can't be an estate agent occupier as they are in A2 planning category which the premises don't have.

I'm not sure that estate agents deserve such bad mouthing since the decision to lease, sell, or leave empty a building rests with the owner. It would seem that the owner is not in a hurry.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

No it's true, just a sign of the times that the 'gateway to Sydenham' will be marred by two big shiny estate agents intent on pushing house prices to even more astronomical heights. Not just their fault, accepted.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

But I could imagine a warmer looking welcome to the place we live in. Hey, people want to sell/buy here, so it's just a visual manifestation of what's going on. I'll stop.
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

I've emailed a few restaurant chains about vacant lots on the high street. I'm very disappointed that they are lying empty in such good locations.

I don't really want any more pubs as I think we have enough already, many of which are not full most nights. What the area needs is restaurants as dining out is the 21st century version of the pub.

If I want to be spontaneous with a friend during the week, and stay local, I have to go to Crystal Palace or east dulwich at the moment, and I am sure others do too.

I do support local places like trattoria (if I can get a walk in table - v unlikely) or the curry house near the top, but I would like to see more variety and spend some more of my pocket money locally.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pat Trembath wrote:Meanwhile the second retail unit on site will shortly be fitting out - electricity is now connected - and Kinleigh, Folkard and Heyward are confirmed as the occupants.
KFH have now submitted a planning application for a new shopfront and an application for advertisement consent for new signage for the second retail unit (next to Sainsbury's Local).

You can view the applications by going to http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ and entering the references 'DC/16/098969' and 'DC/16/098973' (without quotation marks).
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Good news, it will really smarten up such an ugly site

Just waiting for the Greyhound now - April 2017?
Pally

Post by Pally »

I'm beginning to think the Greyhound will never happen. :(
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Pally wrote:I'm beginning to think the Greyhound will never happen. :(
What do you mean by 'never happen'? As in return to being the pretty foul boozer it was before? I'm glad it won't personally. However, I agree it needs to be something! The place is already going into dereliction and anyone taking it on will already have a do a lot of work it seems. What a waste of time and money. So depressing.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pally wrote:I'm beginning to think the Greyhound will never happen. :(
Sydenham Syd wrote:What a waste of time and money. So depressing.
I’m struggling to understand all this doom and gloom. I appreciate that the Greyhound has been a long saga, but we now have:

- A Sainsbury’s Local store in the unit to the rear of the pub, which is trading well and has enlivened the area

- KFH lined up to take the unit to the side of the pub, with planning applications submitted for signage and a new shopfront (I appreciate that an estate agent might not be everyone’s first choice, but it's surely better than an empty unit)

- The pub under offer – bear in mind that Purelake rebuilt the pub to a high standard at, I’m sure, significant cost – they’ll want to get some kind of return on the money they’ve spent (and hopefully from a suitable occupier), so they’ll want to let or sell it as quickly as they can

For those reasons, the suggestions that ‘the Greyhound will never happen’ or that the work on it to date has been ‘a waste of time and money’ are, in my view, misplaced.

I know it’s frustrating, but we are edging closer!
Pally

Post by Pally »

I'm simply referring to it sitting there empty for so long ...little news on it and I wonder what is happening to the fabric in the meantime. I really hope after all the hard work that it is viable but finding interest seems to be a struggle!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Please be reassured that:
Pally wrote:...little news on it...
prince reported on 28 October on this thread that the pub is under offer. It's only been a month since then - not a significant period of time in terms of completing the purchase of a property.
Pally wrote:...I wonder what is happening to the fabric in the meantime..
If you read the property details on Acorn's website you'll see that the building is 'in watertight shell and core condition with capped services ready for fit out'. The fabric really should be fine for the long-term.
Pally wrote:...finding interest seems to be a struggle!
Not really! It was under offer a few days after the Asset of Community Value moratorium period ended, and when the previous buyer dropped out it was under offer again within a month.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh! Well lets hope it all comes to fruition...! I still don't feel optimistic overall but would like to be proved wrong!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pally wrote:I still don't feel optimistic overall but would like to be proved wrong!
I hope you're proved wrong too! :wink: :D
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Has anybody thought of contacting the current managers at the Grape and Grain in Palace? They have to quit the site in January because Wetherspoons are taking it over and I believe they recently showed an interest in the Alexandra in Penge.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Bovine Juice wrote:Has anybody thought of contacting the current managers at the Grape and Grain in Palace? They have to quit the site in January because Wetherspoons are taking it over and I believe they recently showed an interest in the Alexandra in Penge.
Did you contact them?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Just chuckling to myself as I remember posting last year about being "hopeful of having a pint before Christmas"
Pally

Post by Pally »

The Clown wrote:Just chuckling to myself as I remember posting last year about being "hopeful of having a pint before Christmas"
Probably Xmas 2020!