RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rustya

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by rustya »

What I don't really get is that there are lots of new flats being built, which have all started after this Greyhound pub was rebuilt.
These flats are going to be filled far before the Greyhound pub is tenanted.

Whoever reads this blog of #RebuildTheGreyhound - AND is aware of the current stage of the supposed buyers -( i.e. who they actually are) - Please can you tell them to hurry up as we have all been thirsty for a Pint in our local pub for many years now, and are keen to invest in the local economy, rather than drinking/spending elsewhere !
parker

Post by parker »

It's right by the station and would be packed to the rafters for most hours of the day, and I'm not talking in the 'Pavillion' kind of way. That piece of land it stands on could be generating so much revenue by now. What is going on?
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

parker wrote:It's right by the station and would be packed to the rafters for most hours of the day, and I'm not talking in the 'Pavillion' kind of way. That piece of land it stands on could be generating so much revenue by now. What is going on?
The pub has been under offer since the end of October this year. That’s about seven weeks – not a long time in the world of buying a property.

Do bear in mind that it takes time to complete surveys and get all the paperwork sorted.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Pat Trembath wrote: All slowly moving in the right direction.....not as quickly as we in Sydenham would want but.....
Pat, do you mind me asking how/why/to what extent Lewisham Council and/or the Sydenham Society are informed of progress? And how they monitor and assess any such progress?

Like most of us on these boards, I have a keen interest in the future of the Greyhound, but I don't quite understand the relationships and processes here: is it simply a question of estate agent dealing with buyer here, or are you kept abreast of developments?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Sydenham Society does get privileged and confidential information from time to time, mainly because it doesn't rush to local forums to disseminate.

We know that the lease on the second retail unit was signed some time ago and that a planning application regarding the shop front and signage was submitted to Lewisham and that we should see some early movement on that front in the new year.

We are also aware that a pub operator is in the frame to take over the pub. That's all I'm prepared to say.

As Biscuitman says "The pub has been under offer since the end of October this year. That’s about seven weeks – not a long time in the world of buying a property.

Do bear in mind that it takes time to complete surveys and get all the paperwork sorted."

Like everyone else on this forum the Sydenham Society is keen to see this particular site completed, occupied and trading.
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

That's great news! Why does the Sydenham Society get privileged and confidential information?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

SteveG85 wrote:That's great news! Why does the Sydenham Society get privileged and confidential information?
Its often the way that organisations / societies that represent others get this kind of access to information. That's the system. Its partly because they engage with others in dialogue; demonstrate some understanding of the need for confidentiality and don't abuse that confidentiality. Often this is built up over time - it is not a right but usually has to be earned.

And its not members of the Sydenham Society that gets this access - I'm a member and I didn't know about this - its those who actively take part in the discussion - often the committee members who put a lot of time voluntarily into things locally.

The reality is that if one gets involved and joins in with activities - participate etc. then normally you eventually start hearing things over and above things that are made 'public'. Just look at what is going on in Westminster at the moment - not even MPs are hearing about the Brexit negotiations - no running commentary. What's going on here in Sydenham is no different.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

In the meantime we will continue looking after the once neglected saplings outside the empty pub. There should be some daffodils and snowdrops appearing around the bases of these little trees in the springtime. :D

Who knows, this time next year there might just be a little welcoming pub with twinkly lights and a sparkling Christmas Tree serving mulled wine and greeting visitors and locals alike as they come round the roundabout. Wait - hold on - I spy some pink oinkers in the evening sky........ but you never know.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I'd be absolutely amazed if it wasn't an Antic pub. Penge will get its second Antic next year so it can't be long before Sydenham has one.
Davidw

Post by Davidw »

Just been doing a bit of diging into what's goiong on with the Greyhound.

A license had been applied for in the name of "the greyhound sydneham ltd"

The director of that company is Garry Mallen

Some of the other pubs Mr Mallen seems to be involved with are:-

The Lockside (Camden)
http://www.locksidecamden.com/

The Horse and Groom (Dartford)
http://www.thehorseandgroomwilmington.com

The Windsor Castle (Clapton)
http://www.thewindsorcastleclapton.com

Kelsey House (Beckenham)
http://kelseyhousebr3.co.uk

And Brixton Jamm
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

And the Guinea Butt in Tunbridge Wells:

https://www.facebook.com/Guinea.Butt.Tunbridge.Wells
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. Not Antic then, though always unlikely in my opinion given their business model and house style. The pubs run by Mr Mallin seem to be quite smart gastropubs tuned to perceived local demand. Average ratings on Tripadvisor and Beer in the Evening. Seem most of them have a decent range of beers. Could be worse I suppose. Next time I'm over that way I'll stick my head in his Clapton establishment.
prince

Post by prince »

I've been to the Kelsey bar in Beckenham a number of times and thought it was quite good, with a 'trendy' bar vibe. I am more than happy of they are choosing to invest in Sydenham, which to me can only be positive for let's face it the current offer is rather limited. Currently if I am going out I will go to Crystal Palace or East Dulwich, where there are a wealth of good places to drink.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Hmmm, Brixton Jamm is a bit crap. It's a bit of a soulless shell, to be frank, with a slightly odd live music policy (seemingly endless bands and DJs from the 1990s). Better than nothing, but shame it's not Antic. I know Antic applied (unsuccessfully) the first time, and told me they would definitely be re-applying. Oh well.
Billie

Post by Billie »

That's brilliant news. I hope people are positive and welcome this business with open arms. I think their pubs look great - the right balance between being a pub and a trendy bar. Let's hope they can crack on with the refurbishment soon! The light is at the end of the tunnel! Yay!
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Look forward to see it finally open after such a long time. Have been to Kelsey House and if they did something similar it would be a good place to visit. Lets hope it finally happens!
prince

Post by prince »

I see an amended licence application has been made. I think they are trying to cover all the bases in terms of potential uses: plays, films, live music, sports etc.
clembot

Post by clembot »

prince wrote:I see an amended licence application has been made. I think they are trying to cover all the bases in terms of potential uses: plays, films, live music, sports etc.
Thank the beer gods that it's not likely to be a weatherspoons then!
stuart

Post by stuart »

clembot wrote:Thank the beer gods that it's not likely to be a weatherspoons then!
Do you have a problem with good, cheap (relatively) beer and food? Its nice to have upmarket alternatives nearby but is it bad not to have a Wetherspoon one for those who don't want to pay for an 'ambience'?

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I"m glad it's not a Wetherspoons. They seem to be everywhere and the food is pretty poor quality in many of their pubs. I'd rather an interesting pub, unique in feel that is good quality and value for what you get.

Give me an independent/small chain over a brand any day.