RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
topofthehill

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by topofthehill »

Greyhound pub opens 4pm next Friday 23 February.
prince

Post by prince »

topofthehill wrote:Greyhound pub opens 4pm next Friday 23 February.

Thanks for the post Topofthehill. Now that is good news!

Facebook page "The greyhound Sydenham" gives more information about what we can expect and a useful link to their website, the latter of which is in development.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

prince wrote:
topofthehill wrote:Facebook page "The greyhound Sydenham" gives more information about what we can expect and a useful link to their website, the latter of which is in development.
The website is now very much live! It's at http://www.thegreyhoundsydenham.co.uk/

And you can also find the Greyhound:
- On Twitter: https://twitter.com/thegreyhoundsyd
- On Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thegreyhoundsydenham/
- On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheGreyhoundSydenham/
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
prince wrote:
topofthehill wrote:Facebook page "The greyhound Sydenham" gives more information about what we can expect and a useful link to their website, the latter of which is in development.
The website is now very much live! It's at http://www.thegreyhoundsydenham.co.uk/

And you can also find the Greyhound:
- On Twitter: https://twitter.com/thegreyhoundsyd
- On Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thegreyhoundsydenham/
- On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheGreyhoundSydenham/

I like the sound of their menu but no prices on it makes me dubious, I will be there Friday night regardless after a short work party.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Fabulous news. Tried to sign up for opening invites but there seemed to be an issue on the website.
Hopefully they have my email from my original request for updates
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

No information about the beers that will be on offer. As it's billed as a "Public House" that's kinda worrying. Looks like it will be very much "food-led" which is how things are these days, but will it be the sort of place that you'd feel comfortable having a couple of pints with mates?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I see no reason why Sparticus.

But it looks like it will be food led, which I'm looking forward to, so now there are two choices instead of one. There are lots of choices for pubs that focus on beer rather than food. It's good to have more of a balance.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

sparticus wrote:No information about the beers that will be on offer. As it's billed as a "Public House" that's kinda worrying. Looks like it will be very much "food-led" which is how things are these days, but will it be the sort of place that you'd feel comfortable having a couple of pints with mates?
The Greyhound website says (at https://www.thegreyhoundsydenham.co.uk/our-story/):
[T]here will be a vast range of cask ales, craft beers, continental lagers, liquors and fine wines from around the world for you to sample. You never know, you may find a new favourite drink or discover a passion for an entirely new beverage.
And if you read the blog posts you'll see that there will be 'a pub area to the front and a cosy corner for dining to the rear' - see https://www.thegreyhoundsydenham.co.uk/blog/

So, it appears that drinkers will be able to drink, diners will be able to dine, and those who want to drink and dine will be able to do both. Sounds like a good combination to me.

But in any case, let's not start knocking the place before it's even opened!
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Thanks for the links. I wasn't knocking anything, merely asking a question. Despite Lee's assertion, there is a dearth of pubs serving decent beer in Sydenham since the late lamented Beer Rebellion closed (and I'm a fan of the poodle Club so I'm not knocking that either) so I'm hoping the Greyhound does the trick.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just for clarity, I didn't say there were a 'dearth of pubs serving decent beer' in Sydenham. My point was that some focus on food, some don't.

I look forward to it opening.
parker

Post by parker »

leenewham wrote:Just for clarity, I didn't say there were a 'dearth of pubs serving decent beer' in Sydenham. My point was that some focus on food, some don't.

I look forward to it opening.
The more it’s geared towards being a restaurant the better, with the added benefit that it’s a pub.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Looking forward to having a boozer a few seconds walk from my house! Having had a look at the website, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed at the depressingly few vegetarian food items on the menu. In all seriousness, this old-fashioned kind of menu won't do much to draw people to Sydenham and away from the surrounding areas that are doing so well - Forest Hill, Penge, East Dulwich etc; It's as if my granddad was brought in as a food consultant.

Otherwise, let's hope this is a cool place to have a pint.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

MagmaTimes wrote:Looking forward to having a boozer a few seconds walk from my house! Having had a look at the website, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed at the depressingly few vegetarian food items on the menu. In all seriousness, this old-fashioned kind of menu won't do much to draw people to Sydenham and away from the surrounding areas that are doing so well - Forest Hill, Penge, East Dulwich etc; It's as if my granddad was brought in as a food consultant.

Otherwise, let's hope this is a cool place to have a pint..
I'm not sure that a dish containing quinoa, toasted pumpkin seeds, roast butternut squash, kale, walnuts, avocado, tahini and honey dressing can really be described as 'old-fashioned', but there you go. Same goes for a chestnut mushroom and tarragon risotto. Perhaps I'm not at the culinary cutting edge.

To me, the sample menu (and it is only a sample menu) looks like a decent selection, though I take your point about the limited number of vege dishes. But please, don't rule it out as a dining venue on that basis - drop them a line and tell them what you'd like to see. You can do so by email, Facebook, Twitter, in person... There's no excuse for moaning about it from the sidelines.

(Footnote: I've just checked, and the lack of vege dishes has already been raised on Facebook. The Greyhound management has responded and taken the point on board.)
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Just for clarity, I didn't say there were a 'dearth of pubs serving decent beer' in Sydenham. My point was that some focus on food, some don't.
What I actually wrote was " Despite Lee's assertion, there is a dearth of pubs selling decent beer in Sydenham" it's all in the comma!

Of the pubs in Sydenham within a reasonable walk from the station, the Pavillion is a drinker's pub and looks unappealing, the Golden Lion does have some good draft beers on sometimes but the quality is variable, probably because it doesn't turn it over fast enough. It's also often empty and therefore rather sad. The Dolphin is gloomy and often very noisy to the point that conversation is impossible, and the beer selection is uninspiring and expensive.

I know I'm an old fart but I just wanted somewhere I could have a decent pint of traditional bitter that doesn't taste of grapefruit ( I had a lovely of London Pride in the Good Samaritan in Whitechapel last week) in congenial surroundings where I could meet a mate for a pint or two and some conversation. I really don't want to eat things containing quinoa and pumpkin seeds whether it's drizzled with honey or not, or anything else that despite its pretensions is almost certainly mass produced and bought in frozen and brought back to life in a microwave. I know pubs these days can't survive on beer sales alone, but plenty do manage with a limited menu of pub favourites and are still recognisable as pubs. And I'm not opposed to places have a good food offering. Antic pubs seem to manage it but the good ones tend to be vast barns of places where there is plenty of room for both. I really do hope the Greyhound gets the balance right because it would really enhance our already wonderfully diverse High Street.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Well I love pumpkin seeds and butternut squash etc. as I like something to counter the booze calories with a healthy option when I can.
I also like greens with my sausage and mash - one reason I rarely order this and similar dishes on a pub menu, is that there are never enough vegetables. I would love to see more and would eat out more often if I could be sure of my quota.
A friend posted a picture of a recent visit to a vegan restaurant and no greens there either - madness!

Agree ref microwave food - causes gout apparently, but I havent seen evidence that food is or will be microwaved, so let's give the owners an opportunity to show us wat they can deliver.

So excited about the re-opening and sending welcoming positive vibes to the team...
mosy

Post by mosy »

From "Our story", it looks like there'll be a bar area for drinkers' (mentioned as pets allowed so must be separate from dining area, which I gather is at the back), so should be OK, but beer drinkers know beers so what's on offer will be key. A "wide selection" is less encouraging than "selected" but have to wait and see.

As to the food menu, hopefully it's an initial stab at putting something together, soon to be changed.
---

Anyone know if the entrance greyhounds will be brought to life with a bit of lifelike painting? They look like the "slip", or clay straight from a mould, and way too small to be the imposing symbol of a pub now rebuilt with character. Yes, I'm being picky, but ha'peth of tar an' all that.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

My God!!! I despair with this forum.
We wait bloody years to get the pub up and running and before it opens people are already picking holes before EVEN GOING THERE!!!!!!!!
It’s enough to put the new owners and any others off investing in the area!
Let’s just go there and enjoy...if it’s crap then you can moan all you like but until then stop raining on our parade.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree Steve.

I think it looks great, can't wait for it to open.
The Greyhounds look great, the pub looks great, the sign looks great, the menu looks great and obviously will change over time. It looks like they have invested time and effort in creating something Sydenham should be proud of.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Aaaargh! The thought of the greyhounds being painted in life-like colour makes me queasy. They would end up looking like rocking horses. Even in stone colour, it's going to be interesting seeing how they manage children who want to 'ride' them. Given their age, they are unlikely to survive loopthe experience. I suggest strategically placed pots of geraniums......
mosy

Post by mosy »

Steveofsyd wrote:My God!!! I despair with this forum.
We wait bloody years to get the pub up and running and before it opens people are already picking holes before EVEN GOING THERE!!!!!!!!
It’s enough to put the new owners and any others off investing in the area!
Let’s just go there and enjoy...if it’s crap then you can moan all you like but until then stop raining on our parade.
"our parade"? Who made it your parade? It's something we've all waited patiently for and of course want it to flourish and be somewhere to go and enjoy.

The greyhounds are not "great"; the menu isn't "great" - if some think they are, then yes I'll amicably agree if we are to express approval for the emperor's new clothes. Meanwhile, they are what they are. The greyhounds are a minor detail, but do form the entrance so deserve a bit of TLC given they're the pub's symbol. How can you argue with that?