Security guard attacked

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

Security guard attacked

Post by maestro »

stuart

Re: Security guard attacked

Post by stuart »

More bad news: http://www.channel4.com/news/crime-viol ... n-lawrence

This does contrast with my recent trip to Southwold, a Sydenham sized town in Suffolk. The leading item on the previous month's crime rate was the theft of some hub caps. Washing had also been taken from lines. Take care they said.

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

So, why are the young in lewisham more needy than the Children of Southwold?
Seeing as you are comparing the two places.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

stuart wrote:More bad news: http://www.channel4.com/news/crime-viol ... n-lawrence

This does contrast with my recent trip to Southwold, a Sydenham sized town in Suffolk. The leading item on the previous month's crime rate was the theft of some hub caps. Washing had also been taken from lines. Take care they said.

Stuart
That C4 article is 18 months old...

Southwold is a nice small middle class town in Suffolk. Compare it with Lewes, Broadstairs or Whitstable, if you must, it's nothing like a London suburb, where the middle, working and under classes share postcodes.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Sorry Annie - you have lost me. I have not knowingly made any such suggestion so I can't really answer.

The only point I was making was echoing Duwayne's suggestion that we are normalised to a different rate and type of crime. So while the good burghers of Southwold may find life more intimidating here than I do, I find the reported 'serious' crimes in Southwold to be a bit laughable. This may be connected with my hub caps returning unscathed.

To take BJ's point - Lewisham is not a uniform place either. Sydenham is, when I last looked, a safer part of the borough and far from a London hotspot.

Stuart

EDIT: BJ - Sorry, I had not noticed it was 18 months old. It was featured on the page of Channel 4's lead story tonight which is why I picked it up.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

stuart wrote:More bad news: http://www.channel4.com/news/crime-viol ... n-lawrence

Stuart
You put up a link to crime in Lewisham, then spoke about the lack of crime in Southwold, I asked what the difference is between the two groups of young people? And why should one have more crime than the other, is wealth the reason? Or is it education or another factor?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Annie. wrote:You put up a link to crime in Lewisham, then spoke about the lack of crime in Southwold, I asked what the difference is between the two groups of young people? And why should one have more crime than the other, is wealth the reason? Or is it education or another factor?
I have no idea. I'm not young and pretty bad at empathising with either group. But normalisation is something I do empathise with. I spent a lot of time in Wales. The Welsh tend to complain how the TV media is London-centric despite there be far more 'local' television for Wales (population 2 million) than London (population 8 million). And on Welsh TV you can make the headline news with an assault in Aberystwyth. Whereas murders go unreported on London Tonight unless they have an interesting twist.

So sorry I can't help except to say whilst Sydenham is probably a lot safer than Lewisham generally - and Southwold is probably more safe. But I don't feel unsafe in SE26 so it doesn't really matter. Except when I read Southwold's crime reports. I'm sure you would chuckle too.

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Where I am Stuart it is shed break ins and oil nicking! I know where I'd rather be.

Having said that, I felt reasonably safe in Sydenham, but didn't think I would in later years.
It's more about the fear of crime than the actual crime level I think.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad Annie that such violent people exist in our community.

Would have thought full employment in London for able bodied , and would imagine he would be.

If not perhaps a sandwich factory would help down here.