Christmas shopping - local ideas

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tockerty

Christmas shopping - local ideas

Post by Tockerty »

A couple of years ago I decided to do my Christmas shopping locally. There was the excitement of the SEE3 pop-up shops and the December guide. It coincided too with the news that profitable companies, like Amazon, were avoiding paying tax, which in a recession, just seemed wrong. Being fairly new to Sydenham, I also thought it was a good way to get to know the area. As there might be other people new to the area now, and it being that time of year, I though I'd share some ideas. Sharing is caring.......

Alexandra Nurseries - gifts for gardeners, books etc, as well as plants and also gifts for non-gardeners - (some work from local artists that I recognize from the summer arts trail).
I'm putting them first as I went to a late opening yesterday. It's such a lovely place to visit, and there was the addition of Late Knights doing beer and burgers. It was so successful, they are going to do the same next week!
https://twitter.com/AlexNurseries

Kirkdale Bookshop - books, including some beautiful additions of the classics and local/London interest. They also won the best local shop in the Time Out poll.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kirkdale ... 50?fref=ts

Alhambra - cushions, rugs, Spanish kitchen crockery and food.
They have a Christmas event on Friday 6th Dec (includes discounts!)
http://alhambrahome.co.uk/pages/special ... ng-evening

Inkwa - tattoos (!), but they also have a Christmas market, lots of variety and some lovely looking beauty products.
Sunday 7th Dec
https://www.facebook.com/events/9766161 ... 8/?fref=ts

Well Being Foods -- if you are putting together a food hamper, they have a vast selection of teas/infusions, and good for people special diet requirements.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Well-Bei ... 38?fref=ts

In Forest Hill
Stag and Bow - mostly needle craft, with a modern take. They also do a workshops - something that would appeal to someone crafty?
https://twitter.com/stagandbow

Bunka Forest Hill - clothes, home accessories, children's clothes & toys
I couldn't find a link for them that is up-to-date, but they are on Dartmouth road near the main traffic lights.

Just a few ideas, and I'm sure people have others :)
Tim Lund

Re: Christmas shopping - local ideas

Post by Tim Lund »

Always exciting ideas for ingredients in Penge Food Centre!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Trattoria Raffaele have a Christmas event on the 30th (iirc: if that's a Sunday I think that's the right date).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What a great idea. Support local employment and do not support people who evade taxes like our not so good friends Amazon.

A bit early for Christmas shopping but I will buy locally.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Last year everybody in my family (age 8 to 80) got a book from our local bookshop except for my friend Di who loves all things green and veggie - she got goodies from Well Being. Will be doing the same this year.
missT

Post by missT »

Our indoor market at inkwa tattoos on December The 7th will have Great Xmas presents ideas from hand made Jewelery, original paintings, organic skin care product and Fashion.
All welcome!
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

Alexandra Nurseries have some lovely homewares in stock now. Their Christmas market is on the weekend of 6/7 December.
Late Knights have opened a brewery shop too, though I'm not sure of the address.

In Crystal Palace, worth mentioning are Papagaio, a lovely toy shop which has just about everything in stock and can also order in, and Smash Bang Wallop, a gift and homewares shop.

Where is best for foodie gifts? Aga's Little Deli?

And also the new Shop revolution store on Sydenham Road though I don't know details.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Hello

I'm opening The Shop Revolution Marketplace (TSR Marketplace) very soon. We certainly do hope to have some good gift options. Aga's Little Deli will be running a cheese counter at the shop in the run up to Christmas, and we also have Miss Victoria's Floral Emporium who will have floral gifts on offer. And from then end of the month we will have a small gift section in store showcasing some fantastic local designers and makers.

In terms of other fab local stores where you can grab some goodies, don't forget 161 on Kirkdale who do take away bottles. The also stock Late Knights. And Fig & Pistachio on Kirkdale may well have some good foodie pressies. Lastly, have the brilliant Kirkdale Books been given a mention? I always pay them a visit for Christmas presents.

FYI, we are at 167 Sydenham Road.

Louise
BelindaLester

Post by BelindaLester »

Hello

The Late Knights shop opens today 11am-7pm, on Southey St in Penge. It's a home brew supply shop, plus a bottle shop. They are also doing Late Night Late Knights events at Alexandra Nurseries at the moment, so keep an eye out for them :)

We also stock Late Knights at 161 Food+Drink, with their bottles available to take away. We can provide advice on wine and other drinks as gifts and/or for your events and meals - feel free to come in and have a chat. We also have a growing food/produce section, including juices, chutneys & pickles, coffee beans and lovely teas.

Tomorrow at 161 Food+Drink, we're doing a joint event with the Horniman Farmer's Market - from 10-2 you can try and buy from a selection of their traders (Maya Bakery cakes, Ladle and Larder chutneys and pickles, and Wild Country Organics fresh veg). This could prove to be useful Christmas research!

We have so many amazing shops and producers in the area - I can't see any reason to shop elsewhere for gifts :)

Belinda
AlhambraRebecca

Post by AlhambraRebecca »

Thanks for your post, Tockerty! Just a reminder that it's Alhambra's annual Christmas Shopping Party tomorrow with free mulled sangria and tapas and 10% off all Christmas stock. There's also up to 30% off our rugs, from 6pm-9pm! Lots of lovely Christmas goodies, and plenty for under £10 - more info on our website http://alhambrahome.co.uk/pages/special ... ng-evening
More offers on Saturday 6th, too: in association with Belinda and Alex at 161 over the road, you'll get a free coffee at 161 when you spend £40 or more at Alhambra, and you'll get 10% off at Alhambra when you spend £40 or more at 161. Thereafter, there'll be a glass of mulled sangria on the house at Alhambra every Saturday until Christmas (and Sunday, if we're open!)