Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Joanne

Re: Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

Post by Joanne »

Why the rant Lee?

I think you too easily go on the defensive.

Admin I don’t get aspects of your post too.

On this thread, I’ve not suggested in any way that it's right to tell a business what to do.

I have deliberately avoided personal opinions about which is the best business too.

Tim started the thread suggesting a Poll. Everyone expects, asks or waits for SEE3 to take this up.

For whatever the reason is – they don’t.

I’ve offered to help. That’s to create a simple list of the new businesses with the services they offer.

My intention was to see if I could help with some signage too. Not create What If projects Lee, instead actually do it.

In your post Admin, you speak about bribing people, I don’t get what you mean?

Possibly I misunderstand this, but you said too ‘’and what SEE3 had was peanuts’’.

Their Statement of Accounts shows they had £ 235,965

If I can create a business by myself with £2K then surely with this amount of money and a team SEE3 should have been able to make a noticeable difference.

They’ve still not told us how much they spent on consultants.

Only told us that they did use consultants when I noticed the huge unexplainable expenditure.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Joanna the reason why you are HITTING A BRICK WALL in my opinion is because you are so NEGATIVE about everything!

I'd be more than happy to listen to any constructive criticism from anyone other than you Joanna, so please if you decide to go further afield with your research give me a miss thanks!
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Shouting P1971 does not help anything.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Joanna I wasn't shouting just highlighting what you are all about in my opinion both as Joanne and Art4

You are very fond of saying you're not quite sure what others mean when they reply to your posts so let me keep this simple and to the point.

Why don't you point out the positives aswell as the negatives, maybe just then you might have something worth saying.

Put your money where your mouth is and do something rather than shout about it.

Laters M8 Lol, yes go judge a book by it's cover like you seem to do. BTW everyone else I may or may not speak like this but just trying to keep it simple to make a point.

Have a good evening J and all :)

Sorry for going off topic a bit hope everyone checks out Tim's initial first post.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No rant here Joanne, I think you have mis-interpreted my post. But don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

So where abouts in Sydenham do you live Joanne? What are your favourite shops? Have you been to the cafe in Mayow Park? Have we passed each other in Sainbury's? I went to your pop up in the pub in Dulwich a few times but easy time it was shut (and unfortunately isn't there any more), but you had some lovely stuff there from what i could see through the window, I especially liked the retro type posters on the stairs. Who was the artist?

Do you go to the Lovely Gallery? And can you recommend a picture framers?
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

My apologies Lee if I misinterpreted your post.

We live Newlands Park area.

These are the shops on the High Street I use the most:

- PFC
- Well Being
- Kirkdale Bookshop
- Stationary Shop
- £ shop

We go to Brown & Green in Crystal Palace instead of Mayow – simply because that’s where we walk the dogs. However I would like to try soon.

Also enjoy visiting Behind the Boxes (Art Deco)

Often tried to visit The Lovely Gallery but has unfortunately been closed or I’ve been working when it is open. But I’m very interested and follow their events/ news on Facebook.

Would go to the Dolphin if they allowed dogs in.

Lee I think the prints you saw at the pub were by local artist Helen Bridges: http://www.helenvbridges.co.uk/

Framing, I highly recommend:

http://coldharbourframing.com/

In case of interest:
All our printing (marketing etc.) by http://designandprintgurus.co.uk/ who until recently were based Lower Sydenham at the Gardner Industrial Estate. They’ve now moved to Kent but we still use them: highly recommend.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Joanne,

That was a useful post. There is also a new framers in Forest Hill who we are talking with.

Brown and Green in Mayow is really good, well worth a visit. The sign maker who did the signage and the interior refit for both CP and MP was Butler Dsigns. We have used him a fair amount, nice guy, he's very good.

Helen was the artist you had on display, she has some nice work. It's a shame she didn't design the market banners in the high street. I'm glad she's local.

We almost moved to Newlands Park, but missed out as the place we looked at kept going up in price until it was out of our price range. It was strange as it was a flat split vertically so it was a like a house. A lovely place with a lovely next door neighbour who had lots of stories about the area, he told us how his ceiling rose fell down during the war in an air raid!

Anyway, I've gone a bit Ronnie Corbet and gone off piste…I digress…

I hope See3 consider the competition.
michael

Post by michael »

Lee,
I was just about to suggest you try the Framing Salon in Forest Hill, run by the same people as Stag & Bow. http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2014/1 ... salon.html
Nice to hear you are already talking to them.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Just read the article.

The Framing Salon sounds like a great service - I will now certainly look at using since local.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Has anyone mentioned Purelake. Certainly given us a lot to discuss.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Just remembered:

I think called DRR computer Services, it's at the back of the shop Twice Sweet Newsagents - 52 Sydenham Road

The guy David there has solved many IT problems for me - very helpful, quick, affordable

Bit odd to mention but I like going to NatWest on High Street - very friendly

Realise these two are SE20:

- Alexandra Nurseries is great
- Bridge House - I enjoy being able to go to theatre locally
simon

Post by simon »

Regarding the Sports Academy at 18 Sydenham Road; I note that they are now offering a money transfer service. Surely that is A2 (financial services) but the premises is D4.
Pally

Post by Pally »

P1971 wrote:Joanna the reason why you are HITTING A BRICK WALL in my opinion is because you are so NEGATIVE about everything!

I'd be more than happy to listen to any constructive criticism from anyone other than you Joanna, so please if you decide to go further afield with your research give me a miss thanks!
Joanne I think this is very unfair to you, hence my comments below.

I am aware that historically Joannes posts have on occasion been very negative. She has been told that on many occasions. She has said that she is autistic which will make it harder than for most to adapt in the light of critical feedback. Taking that into account I think she has made a massive effort, including acknowledging and taking on board points made by others, admitting when she can see that she has been insensitive and apologising for that on a number of occasions. That is since I joined the forum

She makes some very valid points on many areas, sometimes expressed unfortunately. The good points or the common sense truth of what she says get lost in what appears to be an historic antipathy, including from SEE3 , to take on board anything she might be saying. That is a great shame

She is clearly keen to help and wants to help with the high street. I don't think she deserves the knee jerk negativity she often gets, which appears to link to history rather than a specific recent post she might have made.

I wonder if history could be left there and, with Joanne continuing her obvious efforts to improve her approach (please don't shout me down, remember the point about autism which can be very hard to adapt around ) , her posts could now be taken in that context and with a fresh start by everyone.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Pally wrote:
She makes some very valid points on many areas, sometimes expressed unfortunately. The good points or the common sense truth of what she says get lost in what appears to be an historic antipathy, including from SEE3 , to take on board anything she might be saying. That is a great shame

She is clearly keen to help and wants to help with the high street. I don't think she deserves the knee jerk negativity she often gets, which appears to link to history rather than a specific recent post she might have made.

I wonder if history could be left there and, with Joanne continuing her obvious efforts to improve her approach (please don't shout me down, remember the point about autism which can be very hard to adapt around ) , her posts could now be taken in that context and with a fresh start by everyone.
Well said Pally and sound advice. I've followed this thread mainly out of interest and have had nothing to contribute untill now: There are many good points from all sides but getting too confrontational to achieve much. A fresh start is needed here for all concerned, the fairest and most positive way forward.
spark

Post by spark »

Joanne I think this is very unfair to you.
I agree.

Though unsurprising considering the source.
Pally

Post by Pally »

spark wrote:
Joanne I think this is very unfair to you.
I agree.

Though unsurprising considering the source.
I don't know the source.

I hope a fresh start can be made
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Pally wrote:
P1971 wrote:Joanna the reason why you are HITTING A BRICK WALL in my opinion is because you are so NEGATIVE about everything!

Joanne I think this is very unfair to you, hence my comments below.

I am aware that historically Joannes posts have on occasion been very negative. She has been told that on many occasions. She has said that she is autistic which will make it harder than for most to adapt in the light of critical feedback. Taking that into account I think she has made a massive effort, including acknowledging and taking on board points made by others, admitting when she can see that she has been insensitive and apologising for that on a number of occasions. That is since I joined the forum

Pally,

I think you have taken a very understanding and supportive approach with me. And would like to thank you.

Autism is a life-long condition, it is neurological difference – affects thought processes. Speaking on a forum it probably can be quite noticeable.

Whereas face to face, with people who know me well it is less so. I’m quite sure that my friends, family, colleagues wouldn’t consider me to be a negative or intentionally insensitive person at all.

However I am probably now unemployable! So it’s quite fortunate that I’m suited to self -employment.

I’m extremely focussed and enjoy understanding and making things work well. And I often feel that it’s a shame that I’m not running my business locally, where I live. It’s ended up taking a very different direction and risks losing its’ ethos if we go too upmarket.

I’ve just ran a Pop Up in Belgravia – we did extremely well. Our clients are high profile, it’s opened up opportunities too, which are currently being explored.

However business success in my mind has far more to do with building up good relationships, integrating into the local community, forming local working partnerships and importantly always looking for ways to give back – create a social currency.

My favourite place to date that I’ve opened a Pop Up was Blackheath Village. It has a real community spirit. And they do things well there, has a quality. But rather like Dulwich where we’ve been too, the Estates quality control the shops, their appearance, and signage where possible.

We aren’t in this privileged position in SE26.

At Belgravia I of course needed to comply with Grosvenor Estates.

What I think we could do though is try and adopt some of the same criteria ourselves to help positively develop our own High Street more.

I like the idea of having a fresh start too. And I would like to contribute in a way which is forward thinking and positive – become involved.

I’m open to ideas. Or if I have any will let the Forum know.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Tough, but if had to pick one new opening it would be 161 food + drink (Kirkdale). Brilliant homemade foods ranging from fancy to homely, good selection of ales/beers/wines and fantastic community ideas/events to boot (e.g: cocktail night at alahambra, seasonal review, guest chefs). Also it must be said for such a friendly, we'll run small place it does great in rotatin the menu and drinks constantly to keep things different.

Other faves (not necessarily opened this year or even those I use that regularly but just places I really enjoy something or other at!):
Fig & Pistachio
Calabash of culture (haven't been for a while but the small vegan cafe at the back = scrummy)
Jerk nights (tasty, cooked to order food)
Billings
Fresh n fruity
PFC
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Think I'll step out of this post as I got a little bit ripped into, always happens when a trader replies thats why not many do, and silly me I always do. My comments were in reply to this.

by Joanne » 6 Jan 2015 20:12
I know that I was not asked to do this but currently have some time. Yesterday thought that I’d try and be helpful, so walked up the high street with the aim to make a list of all the Newcomers from Lower Sydenham to the top of Kirkdale.

My plan was to provide a short para on each to describe their business. One thing I noticed was that lots of Newcomers were shut.

And I was also thinking perhaps I could help by investing in signage for a couple of the shops. So my intention was to speak with a couple of shop owners to see if they’d like this help.

I kept in the back of my mind that when I report back that Nigel might just think again that I was ‘like some unappointed National Audit Office’ and would resort to formality and wish me ‘a very good morning’ or ‘a very good evening’.

The result was I didn’t finish. Gave up. This was because I found the high street pretty grim. The weather didn’t help because it made the place look even tattier. Even Billings need to freshen up their signage, shop frontage. Kirkdale Books should consider taking up the artificial grass in wet and cold weather too.

Generally I felt that there was an overall lack of care for appearance. And these are aspects which don’t cost much money, has more to do with awareness.

My reason for giving up though was because I did not enjoy the overall experience. People shout across the road at each other (at children too). There appears to be a high unemployment ratio plus mental health problems too. There is a lot of drug and alcohol dependence.

These are real problems.

And requires a properly thought through strategy. One which has some sustainable quality about it too.

In terms of what is new (include the market):

There is too much ‘artisan’ at the core of what is going on at the moment. We already have the legacy of added graffiti on the high street, which adds to the scruffiness. And I really don’t think an animal safari will help matters.

So I’m concerned that energy and money will be continued to be spent in an unhelpful direction.
Sorting that important aspect out I believe is far more important than creating a voting system for best Newcomers. When we can already see for ourselves what works well and why, without limiting it to a timeline of a year.

I question though Mosy’s thoughts, he says:

‘’Hey, all "our" shops are probably doing quite well, thank you very much without "votes", or they wouldn't be surviving would they? ‘’

There is a constant struggle as a retailer and will no doubt be felt by many on Sydenham High Street.

Irregular, or unreliable opening hours and still not trading this week surely cannot be helping matters either.

Lastly, whilst I’m happy to hear Mosy’s ‘’daily needs’’ are met on the High Street, that is unequal to some others opinions.

I do and I know plenty others who live in the area and prefer to shop elsewhere. It’s also not just about us, we need to be an attractive place, with interesting shops to visit in order to attract a new footfall.

We don’t have this at present and is required to boost our local economy.

End post.

My views are based on what I think and feel, no-one should be judged whatever walk of life they are or come from thats just how I feel as one person including Joanne's situation now I know about it.

Joanne I have invited you on previous occassions to pop in for a chat but you have never popped in, that still stands if you want to.

Have a good evening all

P :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

I am sorry if my comments came over as ripping into you, that was not my intention. I was not aware that you are a trader. I think it would be a pity if you stopped commenting, as a trader. I am not sure why traders don't comment generally - noting your comment on that - I think it is good to hear their viewpoints.