Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

This idea is for SEE3 - or any other local groups who likes it. Maybe Admin could run some polls.

It's a steal from Brockley Central, where they are asking here

Please vote for Newcomer of the Year 2014

We'd have to define an area, which could be the one covered by SEE3, but I think including Forest Hill would distort it, since they seem already to have things sorted. So I'd go for SE26.

I'd go for the Brown & Green café in Mayow Park as the best new business in SE26, but I've not researched it, and I am very likely to have overlooked others.

Maybe there could be a best overall category, but to stop Kirkdale Bookshop and maybe Billings winning every time, there's have to be a rule that previous winners couldn't be nominated for a few years - maybe they could be elevated to a lever of local treasure.

Could there also be a category for most improved? Perhaps to be won by the business rising most in the rankings for best overall?

I think this would be best run by SEE3, since they should be in the best position to maintain the list of local businesses, and keep track of when they open. If not, someone else could start it, and maybe SEE3 could adopt the idea.

Happy to discuss further with anyone.
robbieduncan

Re: Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

Post by robbieduncan »

The Mayow Park cafe is good. I'd also nominate On The Hoof Bistro
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Tesco express.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stone-penge wrote:Tesco express.
Not sure if this is irony, and it didn't open in 2014, AFAIK. But I'd certainly not want to exclude Tescos from the list of shops to vote for in a best overall category. There are a couple of lines it has we get from there which we can't get elsewhere on Sydenham Road.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

OK if Tescos don't count:
Late Knights @ The Alexander.
They are going to be awesome!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stone-penge wrote:OK if Tescos don't count:
Late Knights @ The Alexander.
They are going to be awesome!
Very likely they'd give whoever open at the Greyhound a run for their money in 2015, but the Alexander is in SE20 ...
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Whatever happens it will be like reading Daily Mail comments at STF
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Ok
Purelake,
They will be transforming the high street in 2015.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

I vote a few, but not sure they will count as I'm from FH.

1st - Sugahill cause the bacon sarnies are quite amazing.
2nd - Billings because I use it on my day off and find it good quality and fairly priced.
3rd - Brown and Green Cafe because I like the whole concept from location to food.

These are my favorites overall as I'm not sure how this will work eventually.

Another quirky business I'd like to mention is Inkwa Tattoos, I don't use this but think it's a great addition to the High Street and very friendly too.

TSR Marketplace is another I've not made it too yet, but they are serving black pudding so I need to go soon!
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Kebabish - don't knock it until you've tried it ! and the new aquarium shop is a welcome addition - keeping whites on their toes !
Also Cash Cheque Express - letting poor people and addicts sell their worldly goods!! :( (its just a sign of the times - we can't all shop in the imaginary Waitrose now can we ? )
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

[quote="goonerchamp"]Kebabish - don't knock it until you've tried it !

Love Kebabish too - it does have a very big branding issue though! The grilled chickens and fresh naan to order are a thing of wonder.

I have to say, and even though everyone seems to be already bored of Billings! (a tragedy that we already take it for granted), it is still the best presented shop on the High St and is the best in its class. They continue to innovate, listen to their customers and maintain great quality across meat and fish
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Of course Billings. Votes of this sort work best for new businesses. That's why in the OP I envisaged a Best Overall but with the ones which come top every year elevated to a status of local treasure, such as Billings and Kirkdale Bookshop definitely are. But to keep it of interest for other shops, a category for the most improved.

And thanks for the Kebabish recommendation; I'll give it a go. Isn't that how Forums like this should work?☺
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Haven't tried Kebabish, but every time I see the sign, I think: 'Oh, so it's kebab-ish. Not a kebab but sort of like a kebab?'.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rachel
Pretty much like Mr and Mrs Sutherland who obviously wanted their son to be keifer than Keith .
If Mr Kebabish could do it without dodgy chicken I would be in their like a shot but I think that chicken at that price has to be intensively reared which I don't eat - not a pop at Mr K just an observation .
Shame as I can think of nothing nicer than grilled meats and hot naans/ flatbread etc ( drifts off into Homer Simpson slavering).....

A very good evening meal
Nigel
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Would it not be a more valuable exercise to find out what people would like to see on the High Street instead of running a competition?

After all it has been proven in many other areas that if you get the retail mix right along the main shopping streets, then an area will transform.

Perhaps funding could be gained to then incubate carefully selected start- up businesses.

Why not develop the market too and follow a formula which is known to work well in other locations too.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My favourite Sydenham businesses of 2014 are:

1) Raffaele's Trattoria
2) Billings
3) The Cake Store
4) TfL for providing great bus and train services
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Why is this a useful thread?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Joanne
Do you not think that if it could be done it would be done ?
Successful regeneration is brought about by a wide range of market forces, positive local influences and some happy accidents .
Traders are responsible for testing whether there is a market for their service and they carry the risk . There is no blueprint and with respect if there were you wouldn't have it .
I think this post is " useful" in that it shows local traders that we care and are supportive and also discerning .
All you have shown I'm afraid , is that you seem to delight in undermining people who deserve support - like some unappointed National Audit Office .
A very good evening
Nigel
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Joanne wrote:Why is this a useful thread?
There is no requirement for any discussion thread on this forum to pass a test of 'usefulness'. What led you to think there was?

In any case, even the small number of comments provided so far has the potential to:
1. Help spread the word about existing businesses offering good quality products, service and services
2. As Nigel says, show [existing] local traders that we care and are supportive and also discerning
3. Help at least one existing business understand how it might improve or appeal to a wider market
4. Help potential investors understand what local people value

Do you disagree with any of these? Can you add any others?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Joanne wrote:Would it not be a more valuable exercise to find out what people would like to see on the High Street instead of running a competition?

After all it has been proven in many other areas that if you get the retail mix right along the main shopping streets, then an area will transform.

Perhaps funding could be gained to then incubate carefully selected start- up businesses.

Why not develop the market too and follow a formula which is known to work well in other locations too.
Those might all have bigger returns, but my idea was that this could be done at little cost, so a higher return on investment.