Dangerous dog - Venner Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Joanne

Dangerous dog - Venner Road

Post by Joanne »

A less positive post I'm afraid.

Walking home on Venner Road this afternoon with my dog - there was a man who had great trouble keeping his dog under control. I'm unsure of the breed, but looks like a bit like a Pitbull Terrier. Unlikely since those are banned I think in the UK (?)

Dog: white and overweight.
Man: small, big tanned face, lives on Venner Rd (on corner coming up the hill)

He had the dog on a heavy chain lead but still had trouble controlling it due to it's strength and serious aggression. Owner was saying 'don't come near her!'. We tried to cross the road straight away but the dog was pulling the owner towards us. I was quite frightened.

Thankfully the owner managed to cross over instead and then called over to say 'she is playful'.

Not the case - this dog is unsafe. If a small child went near this dog I dread to think what might happen. If the owner lost his grip on the lead or tripped, this dog would cause serious problems.
Joanne

Re: Dangerous dog - Venner Road

Post by Joanne »

I think an American Bulldog
onikosi123

Post by onikosi123 »

Good post, I think this sort of incident must be reported to the Police. Dangerous dogs are an issue and I am not familiar with all the current legislation but we must ensure that an authority/authorities have been informed.

Councillor Rachel Onikosi
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Thanks for your advice Rachel and I'll report to the Police.

A poster questioned via PM if they live on Venner Road but I'm quite sure they do. House on left corner as you come up Tredown Road.

Large dog statues above front door and fierce picture of dog on the gate ' Beware of Dog' sign
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If it is indeed a pit bull then it is a dangerous dog within the meaning of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. As it seems you can identify an address the police can gain a warrant under that act and enter the property to inspect the dog and seize as necessary. Call sydenham SNT on 0208 649 3598 or call 101.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Thanks Bensonby for your advise and I contacted the Police (101).

Although they will pass the matter on to local Police, they said it is a matter for the RSPCA or local Dog Wardons.

Therefore it is unlikely that I'll hear back from them due to 'nothing actually happening'.

In case of interest the numbers for local Dog Wardons are:

Bromley:

0208 464 3333
Open: 9 - 5

Lewisham:

0208 314 2098
Open: 8 - 4:30
ElyBUK1

Post by ElyBUK1 »

Seriously?

This dog is a very good example of bulldog. It is NOT an illegal breed.

This house in question is two doors down from mine and their dog has been simply amazing around our baby. We walk by them and they walk by us (and chat) and the dog has never acted viciously towards us. In fact, she is rather placid and just breathes loudly.

Perhaps other dogs caused her a bit of excitement ONCE. Perhaps they have a quirky sense of humour, which is why they have bulldog statues out front and a funny beware of dog sign. Perhaps they had a fabulous holiday in Spain and like to be tanned all year around.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

ElyBUK1 wrote:Seriously?
Apparently so.
Lets start publicly identifying neighbours we don't like the look of, shall we?
Im sure that will end well.
Jesus :shock:
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

This house in question is two doors down from mine and their dog has been simply amazing around our baby. We walk by them and they walk by us (and chat) and the dog has never acted viciously towards us. In fact, she is rather placid and just breathes loud
I'm sure it has been simply amazing around your baby, and will continue to be amazing until it rips your baby's head off. NO dog should be considered safe around a baby, even soppy old Labradors have been known to attack children. I was brought up with both Staffies and Jack Russells, I've owned dogs all my life and I currently own (or am owned by) a delightful Jack Russell, but I would never leave him with a baby or even unrestrained in a room with a baby. Family pets with no history of attacking humans have savaged small children when in a room with adults present. A powerful dog in attack mode is very hard to control. They're dogs. It's what they do.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Why on earth has this thread from two years ago been syddenly resurrected? Why has it been dug up from the archive? I don't think the OP is even still a member of the forum.