Pie And Mash Shop Sydenham High Street.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamDarren

Pie And Mash Shop Sydenham High Street.

Post by SydenhamDarren »

Hi All,

New poster to the forum and looking for some general feedback.

Ive lived in the bottom end of Sydenham all my life and have always liked the idea of opening a Pie And Mash shop on the high street even more so now with all the fast food shops we have.

I have now got some money together and can finally make it happen. I will be decorating it to keep it as traditional as possible and have spoken to a well known Pie And Mash shop who are prepared to let me use their brand.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on if it would be a good idea?

Darren
somerandombloke

Re: Pie And Mash Shop Sydenham High Street.

Post by somerandombloke »

Id be there every day. You gonna do jelied eels too?
SydenhamDarren

Post by SydenhamDarren »

somerandombloke wrote:Id be there every day. You gonna do jelied eels too?
And stewed eels of course.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Fantastic idea. I loved the old and the new pie shop in Greenwich. I, and my family would be regular attendees. Good luck with this, I really hope you are able to get going soon!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Count me in - I was a regular of manze's in woolwich as a child .
A very good evening
Nigel
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

My family would definitely go to a local pie and mash.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Pie mash and liquor for the missus and me too.. :D

I'll look out for you when passing through Sydenham.. Sounds great and Good Luck with this.
somerandombloke

SydenhamDarren wrote:
somerandombloke wrote:Id be there every day. You gonna do jelied eels too?
And stewed eels of course.
Nom! I had an uncle worked in a pie and mash and eels place up Dalston rd used to go there a lot when I live in Hackney. Used to go there after a afternoon film at the Rio.
The Lovely Gallery

Post by The Lovely Gallery »

Great idea we will be there!!
paddyh

Post by paddyh »

Fantastic idea. I'd definitely come there.
Sydenham Treeman

Post by Sydenham Treeman »

Hey Darren
Great idea, my wife and I would definitely welcome it.
Good for you to give this a go. Have you seen a site? I'm actually in the process of starting an independent coffee shop and know how hard this can be.
Sydenham definitely needs more things and people who will try and start something.
Would you be franchising or is it an independent?
Good luck
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Great idea! Used to live in Bow and there was proper pie and mash there! Goddards in Greenwich is not even a pale shadowy immitation of its old self
Willy

Post by Willy »

Wasn't there a pie and mash shop in Crystal Palace triangle a while ago?
somerandombloke

Yeah I think it was where that poncey deli is now.
SydenhamDarren

Post by SydenhamDarren »

Thanks for all the good feedback.

We have heard of a few shops leases that are up for tender soon I am hoping we can find something suitable to get this going sooner rather than later.

We did actually try to buy the Wimpy Bar a while back with an investor as it would have been perfect but when it came to light who we was bidding against we knew we stood no chance.

As for the Franchise question, we have approached Goddards in Greenwich they have agreed at a price to help us get set up, Although we are still in two minds weather to be independent or not.

Ill try to keep you updated on the progress.

Darren
mosy

Post by mosy »

There's a sit-down fish & chip shop on Lewisham High St opposite the shopping centre in which I had lunch last week. I was surprised to see (given it's a fish shop) that about half the diners were eating the pie & mash/liquor option so it's clearly a popular dish. There's no shortage of footfall there of course.

There's a link here in case you want to check out some opposition: https://plus.google.com/102616512195920 ... l=uk&hl=en
SydenhamDarren

Post by SydenhamDarren »

mosy wrote:There's a sit-down fish & chip shop on Lewisham High St opposite the shopping centre in which I had lunch last week. I was surprised to see (given it's a fish shop) that about half the diners were eating the pie & mash/liquor option so it's clearly a popular dish. There's no shortage of footfall there of course.

There's a link here in case you want to check out some opposition: https://plus.google.com/102616512195920 ... l=uk&hl=en
I know about Something Fishy, the pie and mash isn't that great.

There is also a cafe in Catford that do it, but that's a cafe that do Pie and Mash which again isn't the greatest.

i would say the best one closest to Sydenham is Manzes in Peckham.
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Darren. Welcome to the forum and I wish you all the very best on your new venture. I thought I would just point out that last time I looked the Chefs Delight were serving goddards pie and mash and the little cafe just past the Carwash on Sydenham road were serving Manzes pie and mash or vice versa.
It would be great to have a traditional Pie & Mash shop on the high street again as the last one ( Bobs ) closed on Sydenham road about 20 years ago although if I remember correctly it was take away only and they made their own pies.
Anyway, I look forward to it and you can count me in.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just echoing all that had come before!
Think would be a brilliant addition to Sydenham which hopefully would be well supported by young and older. I think something like a pie and mash shop has something which can appeal to all - it could be considered as pretty cool by some (I'm sure I've seen some pie places at street feast/kerb etc places), hark back to traditional food for the older clientele and then kids love most things especially when it's finger food. Got all the bases covered ;)

I'll definitely be down and dragging people across London to boot for a night out in Sydenham - there's enough quality/different stuff!

Good luck and nothing but positivities fella
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I think it's a great addition , but the pie and mash has got to be on the same par at least with manzies and arments,if you start adding fish and chips ,chicken etc then I personally wouldn't take you serious as a pie mash shop