Police horses in Mayow Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Police horses in Mayow Park

Post by Tim Lund »

Seen today in Mayow Park

They seemed to me to doing an excellent bit of community engagement, chatting to a Dad with his little girl, and to me, getting on to the matter of how I might get some horse manure for my garden. Apparently, they are constrained by some PFI deal, and it all goes to landfill - could I please lobby my MP? - they asked. I wonder where the manure recently over supplied to Grow Mayow came from, gratefully wheeled away in my wheelie bin

which I'd been told came from the Met Police.

There's some more comment about this on the FOMP Facebook page
Tompski

Re: Police horses in Mayow Park

Post by Tompski »

Hello, this is my first post on here, I live close to Mayow park and have just built some raised beds for vegs and need some manure, although this big pile has gone is the grey plastic bin for people to help themselves or is that just for Grow Mayow? if not for public use does anyone have a good source for fresh local manure? delivered prefereably as I have no car and I can't imagine a taxi driver being too keen to have manure in their car!
Thanks
T
Tim Lund

Re: Police horses in Mayow Park

Post by Tim Lund »

Best to ask Grow Mayow - the email on their blog is Growmayow@gmail.com.

Generally speaking, unrotted manure can be picked up at no cost - for example from these stables in Mottingham - but you'll need to wait a few months before you can add it into your soil. You can get it delivered for not much more than the cost of transport if you can take a full trailer load - c. 10 cubic meters. I paid £10 for a load to my allotments last year, but this will not be convenient for most gardeners. You also need to barrow it off to wherever you are going to let it rot down. Here's mine earlier this year

#gardeningSE26

If you want it ready rotted down, you can probably also dig into piles at stables, but it will be at the bottom, and other people will have also tried digging it out before you. It also becomes worthwhile for stables themselves to bag it up when rotted, and sell it at a price to reflect the work and time involved - I think Dulwich Riding School do this, but the economics will be similar elsewhere.

Such manure, rotted or not, will contain seeds, so you'll also get some weeds with it.

I'm PM'ing you with the mobile number for Mottingham stables