Walking to/from Longton Grove - safe at night?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
almiraelizabeth

Walking to/from Longton Grove - safe at night?

Post by almiraelizabeth »

Hi everyone,
We've just had an offer accepted on Longton Grove and love the area, however I'm a little uneasy about safety walking from the station evening/late at night. Can anyone give me their thoughts/experiences please?
We have a young family, a 2 year old and 2 teenagers. We want to make sure the teens are safe travelling around early evening on own, and myself with our 2 year old.
We live in Battersea at the moment which has its fair share of crime, but because its just so busy you never feel too 'alone' walking home late.
Thanks!
Pally

Re: Walking to/from Longton Grove - safe at night?

Post by Pally »

Have never had any problems in the area. My adult daughter regularly returns on the night bus and always feels safe.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi almiraelizabeth and welcome to the forum and to the neighbourhood :)

There has been the odd mugging over the years quite close to Sydenham Station but nothing like frequently (there are published crime stats somewhere) and not necessarily at night time for that matter. I just think it's sheer bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time so I don't worry at all on a day to day basis living close by. The cab company office at the station is open 24/7 (020 8778 3000) in case heavily laden or the worse for wear ;) The area immediately around the station is quite well lit.

I assume your teenagers are already street savvy about not displaying valuable nickables like iPods or phones, laptop satchels or easily grab-able handbags and to walk clear of any "hidey-hole" doorways and to stay observant - what I'd call common sense measures.

Concerns are understandable of course, so doesn't hurt to make sure your door locks and windows etc are secure against burglaries - so just the usual stuff really. Otherwise, plenty to enjoy about the area and I'm sure you'll be happy.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

To add my two-pennyworth.

I've lived in Longton Grove for over 20 years and it's a great area to live in. It's in inner London - and there are the odd incidents, but I've never felt threatened and frequently walk home on my own at night having been to the theatre. Over the past twelve months new white street lighting has been installed and the place is much better lit.

If you are moving to the top of Longton Grove there are two buses which go up the hill and stop close to the end of the road, as well.
almiraelizabeth

Post by almiraelizabeth »

Thank you very much everyone!
Its always unsettling moving I guess but I am very excited about the area too. Just looking at the activity on the forum you can tell a lot of people love the area and have a real sense of community you just don't get in Clapham.
Crime stats are awful to look at but when you delve a bit deeper you see that every area has its hotspots.
Anyway, I'm feeling very reassured :-) and looking forward to the move.
Thanks for the bus/taxi tips too!
Almira
Craigmurray

Post by Craigmurray »

We live in the area too and have 2 young kids. Lovely and quiet and very friendly. Sydenham wells park is great for kids. I never see trouble really. We moved from Fulham a few years ago and actually feel much safer here than SW London, good luck with the move:)