Station approach - new toilet

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Steveofsyd

Re: Station approach - new toilet

Post by Steveofsyd »

If nothing happens, then I think we need to bring the issue of safety to the attention of the police and local newspaper.
Think about it, ideal prey.....tipsy , cash rich, late travellers from Canary Wharf.....who need a pee before getting home...
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Well today that trolley is full of nylon coverings and beer cans. The small area of planting is also now a rubbish tip...again full of strong larger cans couldn't see any drug related items....yet!. Looks like one of our local down and outs has made it their home and keeping their "house" in the trolley...

Has anyone also noticed that the wall, behind the planting beside the pavement, is starting to fall down? It doesn't look very safe and I would worry that someone sitting on it for a rest "pavement side" may find it collapsing and suffer a very bad injury if they were to fall backwards over the drop!

LEWISHAM SORT IT OUT !
sydres

Post by sydres »

So who in LEWISHAM COUNCIL is going to do something about this? There has been a lot of talk about rejuvenating the high street yet clearly no one wants to take responsibility for this eyesore. When will it actually open?

When is the next Assembly meeting so this can be raised as an issue? Not a great advert for Sydenham as you enter or exit the Station.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Any of our cllrs care to comment on this? They have been strangely quiet over the turdis.

I expect they are beavering away behind the scenes, but it would be good to know what the beavering is.

Are there any updates from our elected local representatives on the council?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The Sydenham Assembly Co-ordinating Group met last night and we discussed this at length. Paul Gale is waiting on an update from the project manager Tom Henry. The last email from Tom said he was waiting on the power being provided. I don't know what the hold-up is as Tom had previously expected the project to be completed by year end 31 March 2015 - in time for the return of the monthly market. Last night we discussed the repair that is necessary as well as querying why it is black as the drawing was far more sympathetic in green. We are going to find out if the look can be changed and consider a call to local artists so that we can decorate the outside. Repairs are needed to the structure of flower bed as well as restocking with fresh plants.

There are a couple of minor works needed in Queensthorpe Square - paving where the lamp post was sited next to the wall and painting of the hydrant.

We have asked for a written report on the Sydenham Road project as there are still issues with the flow of traffic and the monitoring by Transport for London of the traffic light changes. On the agenda for the next Sydenham Assembly on Thursday 17 September at the TNG in Wells Park Road.
mosy

Post by mosy »

If power has not yet been provided, is it still too late for it (loo box) to be placed elsewhere, like back against the station wall? Well anywhere except prominently dominating the walkway.

With the best will in the world, however tarted up, it still doesn't change that it's in the wrong place IMO.

Good to hear that it's receiving attention, but is it really the best plan just to make the best of a bad job for something that could be there for years?
sydres

Post by sydres »

Chris - thank you for taking the time to reply and provide an update. It would be helpful to see whether the toilet can actually be turned around at this stage as its current position is far from ideal as many have pointed out on this forum. If not the rear of the toilet needs to be blocked off in some way to discourage litter.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Chris, I would be very interested to hear your comments re the Safety issues I have mentioned in this post re lighting and potential Crime (muggings) once the evenings get dark.
I would hope that Lewiisham would put the safety of its residents at the very top of its list and make this a priority.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Further to the previous post, if it can't be moved closer to the wall then the gap between the wall and the structure should be closed up to stop the urinators and trolleys being dumped there :evil:
Pally

Post by Pally »

I went to the station this morning...the space is full of rubbish, a trolley and stains on the wall and pavement. What a shame!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

22days since I I asked Chris Best for an answer regarding the pontential danger of being mugged or worse by the Turdis.....
Regarding its general awfulness and non functionality, what's happening....anyone know?
I thought someone was looking into it...the project mis-manager, I believe.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Riney's people were on site Tuesday digging up to cement in a grill at one end and a gate at the other end of the hidey-hole (where the supermarket trolley was shown). They've also put a discreet grey grid fence on top of the wall. As I mentioned, there's a 12ft drop the other side to the platform even without this new grid fence, so I assume it's to prevent rascals thinking it's the same level, jumping over and breaking many, many bones. The grid fence might be suitable for hanging an evergreen vine or trailing ivy or something - leenewham's living wall idea...

Anyway, work is finished and clear now Thurs (it might have been finished yesterday, I didn't go by). Riney as usual have done a fair perfect job of re-laying the dug up and adjusted paving stones. The gate isn't padlocked yet, so I presume it will be in due course since pointless otherwise.

The loo itself still doesn't seem to be open - or at least pushing the button still has no effect.

The gates are one step forward I suppose, although disappointingly it does seem to confirm that the loo is in its permanent resting place.
squashst

Post by squashst »

It occurs to me that Forest Hill, Honor Oak and probably pretty much every other station does not have a public convenience outside the station. Any particular reason why Sydenham is so favored - local history buffs may help.

Given that the said convenience in Sydenham has not been open for last couple of months, suggests that one isn't particuarly required? Those taken by an excess of drink can make the 50 extra yards to the Pavillion (nee Railway) or in a few months time, 50 yards further to the Greyhound.
squashst

Post by squashst »

Oh - I've got it. The Sydenham public convenience does look rather similar to the East German Stasi listening outposts badly camoflauged as an everyday object. It isn't really a toilet. Its got microphones inside and it eavedrops on commuters.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Struth, squashst. Now you've really invited a p****** contest!

Did anyone hear about that paint last week that's been invented so that if "you", er, spray at it, it reflects it back onto the sprayer? You have been warned :twisted:

The daft thing to me is that it actually displays "Toilet" and people do approach it in hope... They should at least cover that sign up with "Out of order", despite that being out of order is out of order. Maybe a "Grand Opening" sticker will arrive soon.
squashst

Post by squashst »

Maybe the "toilet listening post" has been installed by the Dowd brothers. It may be sensible when going past to say that Purelake is a very fine public spirited building company and that JD is peerless as an MP. You never know who is listening...... :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

squashst wrote:It occurs to me that Forest Hill, Honor Oak and probably pretty much every other station does not have a public convenience outside the station.
Without wanting to seem like a pedantic pillock, but merely trying to impart useful information, Forest Hill has a similar turdis to the Sydenham one, complete with black artex coating.

A full list of stations with places to do your number ones and twos can be found here (it doesn't include stations with toilets outside, like Sydenham):
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/docum ... ts-map.pdf
JRW

Post by JRW »

Given that we are probably stuck with its ridiculous siting, what about using the space behind for a series of water butts? They could then be used to automatically water a series of planters to green up the space, along the station wall. Come to that, they could be used to flush the loos, and reduce the use of mains water. They could collect water from the roof of the Turdis, and maybe from the estate agent on the bridge?

One of the photos that were posted of rather more inspired public loos gave me a thought about improving its appearance. Why not timber clad it with shiplap, and a pent roof? Paint it white as a tribute to all those traditional Kentish cottages that are scattered around the area.

Mind you, the thing I find most depressing about the redevelopment of Station Approach is the bizarre choice of lamposts. Given the architectural importance of the station, and the wonderful curved building, it seems it would have been the perfect place to put some of the victorian street lamps that have been stolen from our roads in the area. Surely some could have been reconditioned for such a prominent area. The chosen lamps are 'fashionable', and as such are already looking dated.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If it's supported, almost anything is possible for the turdis.

For instance, some more ideas, if the whole turdis needs to have all the external panels as the council seem to suggest as an excuse as to why it can't have things grown up it, then removable panels can be attached to it.

These could be enamelled (like the sign we did for Billings) or they could be painted or they could be perforated and back lit at night.

For example (this is stuff other people have done, for the turdis the designs could be…anything).

These could be removable. We worked with some artists for a huge mural on a bridge (the longest enamelled mural in Europe) and these were removable to allow tcl access to the bridge if they needed to carry out repairs.

I'm sure the council will say it's not possible (which is the usual apathetic bullshit), but it would be great if the local powers that be and cllrs get behind a campaign to actually do something so the legacy of millions of taxpayers money spent on paving Sydenham isn't squandered millions.
Maria

Post by Maria »

These could be enamelled (like the sign we did for Billings) or they could be painted or they could be perforated and back lit at night

Both ideas sound fabulous to me. Where do we move from here? Who do we contact? How many of us need to support them to make someone take note and act accordingly?