Won't be having loft insulation

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Savvy

Won't be having loft insulation

Post by Savvy »

I asked in the Wanted section if anyone knew of someone who would come and clear my loft in readiness for free loft insulation - its a govt scheme run by Mark Group if anyone's interested. Anyway I had no replies so I contacted some loft clearance companies. One quoted on the phone 350 gbp (sorry US keyboard, no pound sign) which I thought was a bit steep so I got another company to come and see what was there (basically just rubble and tiles from a previous roofing job from before we lived here). They came and looked and quoted 360 gbp !! So, that's the end of that. I would have paid if we were planning to stay here for another eight years or so (which is about how long it would take to recoup the cost), even with the mess it would have caused, but those quotes are too much.

PS 180 gbp+vat of that cost was for disposal of said rubble.
Edoss

Re: Won't be having loft insulation

Post by Edoss »

I had Mark Group look at my loft insulation last year. I was told what the current insulation we had was inadequate / poorly done.

However, according to the note on the roof ceiling they had undertaken the previous effort the year before (before we moved in). So they don't think much of their own work!

Never got back to me though.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I have a similar problem Need new insulation, need old polystyrene bead insulation removed first, cost outweighs benefits.

btw, for a £ sign, try alt #
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

££££ Rachel, you are so clever. I should have asked you before ! Cheers ! ££££
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Savvy wrote:££££ Rachel, you are so clever. I should have asked you before ! Cheers ! ££££
You can pay me in ££££ :wink:

What we call the hash tag, Americans call a pound sign. So it sort of makes sense.
parker

Post by parker »

Savvy were you expecting somebody to clear your loft for free?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Yes.
No, of course not. I was hoping to pay someone around £200 but knowing as I do now that disposal of waste costs £180+vat I can see that was unrealistic. Also I realise now that employing someone with insurance is important (the loft isn't boarded) so no use just accepting an offer from young fit local lad or lass. Its not as if our house is cold anyway. Coming from a Victorian basement this is pure luxury in terms of warmth.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it's a false economy to leave it uninsulated - spend the money and get the loft insulated. The money saved on fuel bills will pay easily pay for the work (eventually but less than 10 years), and any loan you take out, or credit card you use to pay for it should be paid off before then.

the sooner you have the insulation the sooner you start saving money on your heating. If you wait to save up the money to pay for the insulation, you'll never get it done, as other things will get put infront of it in the queue and you'll still be paying more for heating.

even if you have to clear the loft yourself a bag at a time.
fuel bills are only going one way.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

That's good advice and if I were going to be in this house in ten years I would do it - even to break even (for the environment innit?) but I'm not sure I'll even be alive - depends on whether the good doctors at Guys ( and they are good !) And the fab new cancer drugs (and they are good too!) can knock this on the head. All going very well so far and optimism abounding in the Savvy house.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Savvy wrote:That's good advice and if I were going to be in this house in ten years I would do it - even to break even (for the environment innit?) but I'm not sure I'll even be alive - depends on whether the good doctors at Guys ( and they are good !) And the fab new cancer drugs (and they are good too!) can knock this on the head. All going very well so far and optimism abounding in the Savvy house.
Optimism is good and helps, in my experience
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Best wishes, Pally, and good luck with the treatment.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Robin Orton wrote:Best wishes, Pally, and good luck with the treatment.
Thank you.... my treatment is long over and optimism helped me! . I think Savvy is going through it all now, from his/her comments
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Sorry, I meant Savvy.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Oh that's great to hear Pally. Im pleased you are through it and doing well. I'm female, in treatment.... a l o o o o n g cycle of treatments. Don't hesitate to say hello if you see me round and about. I'm short, I'm usually with a balding husband who's got more hair than me right now. and I'll be wearing a variety of scarves and summer hats. Probably holding on my head in fear of my hat falling off and scaring the local children.

Thanks for your good wishes all.

S
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Savvy wrote:.... but I'm not sure I'll even be alive - depends on whether the good doctors at Guys ( and they are good !) And the fab new cancer drugs (and they are good too!) can knock this on the head. All going very well so far and optimism abounding in the Savvy house.
I had the good doctors from Guys remove a T3 from my bowel and a cute little T1 from my left kidney three years ago. I thought the chemotherapy was the toughest part of the business. I am extremely impressed with the treatment I got, since I researched it carefully and concluded that I had always been given the very best clinical treatment even when lower cost perfectly viable options were available. I also costed it and the total was eye-wateringly high. Full marks to the NHS there.

The survival rates from cancer are much higher than they were even twenty years ago so there is probably good cause for optimism. Although I will not be signed off completely for a further two years my general feeling now is that my motorbike is more likely to kill me than cancer.

All the best
Chris