Evict Foreign Nationals from Lewisham Council Homes

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
George Whale

Evict Foreign Nationals from Lewisham Council Homes

Post by George Whale »

Thousands of Lewisham Council Homes Are Being Let to Foreign Nationals: Move Them out and Move Locals in, Demands Candidate

A candidate in next month's general election has asked Housing Minister Brandon Lewis to consider a change in the law to enable local authorities to remove foreign nationals from social housing in order to free up homes for hard-pressed British families.

Quoting figures obtained by Migration Watch UK (1), Dr George Whale claims that up to 40 percent of Lewisham social housing is occupied by non-British nationals, and that the influx of immigrants into the capital since these statistics were published likely makes that percentage even greater.

Dr Whale, who represents the Liberty GB party in the Lewisham West and Penge constituency, is demanding that Lewisham Council "come clean" about the number of foreign nationals occupying public homes in the borough, and wants an overhaul in the Council's selection policy to give clear preference to people who have been in the area for many years. "This is not only fairer", he says, "but it will enable families rooted in the area to stay here, which will contribute to social continuity and cohesion".

Continued at http://libertygb.org.uk/v1/index.php/ne ... -candidate
somerandombloke

Re: Evict Foreign Nationals from Lewisham Council Homes

Post by somerandombloke »

Why dont you get the Brits to go abraod there getting easy money all over the EU:- http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... enefits-eu
paddyh

Post by paddyh »

If Dr Whale is standing he should possibly spend some time learning how to read research and studies. The paper by migration watch says 6% in Lewisham which is actually the lowest of any inner London borough. There is nationality data missing for 36%, however to randomly decide to assign these all as foreign nationals with no basis for that assumption is the worst kind of misuse of statistics just to fit his own prejudices and assumptions. Deliberate misuse of the statistics is not a desirable characteristic in a politician.
somerandombloke

You know what this LiberyGB lot are like never let the facts get in the way of a good racist prejudice.
stuart

Post by stuart »

On the contrary I found the numbers very informative. They do show clearly that there is a less than 6% chance that Mr Whale's doctorate is in statistics and at least a 94% probability it was in non-sequiteurs. Am I right or am I right?

Stuart :(
somerandombloke

As we all kno 79.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Oh dear... Good luck getting your deposit back. :roll:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Apparently Dr Whale's PhD was in 'creativity and cognition.' Well, he seems to be doing OK on the creativity bit.
George Whale

Post by George Whale »

Regarding percentages, I've requested up-to-date figures from Lewisham Council, and will post them here as soon as received. Clarification is certainly needed, as nobody seems to know the true percentage of Lewisham social housing occupied by foreign nationals. A few years ago, Migration Watch put it at anything between 6% and 42% - I'll be surprised if those numbers haven't gone up since.
somerandombloke

George Whale wrote:Regarding percentages, I've requested up-to-date figures from Lewisham Council, and will post them here as soon as received.
I can barely contain my excitement.
stuart

Post by stuart »

George Whale wrote:A few years ago, Migration Watch put it at anything between 6% and 42%.
No they didn't. How many times do you have to reminded you are misconstruing statistics to say something they clearly do not? For someone who claims academic credibility that is seriously dangerous ground. (sigh).

Stuart
somerandombloke

Also as Wikepedia says 'MigrationWatch UK is an immigration and asylum research organisation and think-tank, which describes itself as independent and non-political, but which has been characterised by some commentators and academics as a right-wing pressure group' so I think the chance of them not masaging the figures are pretty slim.
stuart

Post by stuart »

SRB - I think it might be fairer to say MW may be a bit selective on the numbers they choose to publish and make hay with some of the difficulty in collecting immigration figures for their own agenda. This, however, is a legitimate questioning of government policy. I take what they publish with a pinch of salt. But then that's useful with chips.

But here we are dealing with something quite different. Mr Whale has taken figures about one thing, ignored even MW's provisos over them, and claimed quite a different thing with them. Which is impossible (or as unlikely as one can imagine). That comes from either gross incompetence in understanding what MW reported or deliberately misconstruing them to create a scenario that doesn't exist and then trying to frighten people with it.

I leave it to you to decide which.

Stuart
somerandombloke

stuart wrote:That comes from either gross incompetence in understanding what MW reported or deliberately misconstruing them to create a scenario that doesn't exist and then trying to frighten people with it.

I leave it to you to decide which.
I think its pretty clear!!!!