Lewisham and West Penge candidates

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Lewisham and West Penge candidates

Post by JRobinson »

I've recently recieved some flyers through the post for the candidates running in the local elections.
Some of the main points raised appear to be good, others appear to either ill advised, completely ridiculous, obviously unfunded, or otherwise stupid, or deal breakers.

If I could chose policies from different parties and make up a mixed candidate I would, but I can't. There are enough bad points in most of these documents that make me seriously consider not voting for any of them, but that's not democracy so I have to vote for the least worst, or vote strategically to ensure that the worst doesn't get in, ... or something.

anyway - I think it'd be good to have on here a selection of peoples ideas on good or bad policies that they've seen in election flyers that make them either strongly for or strongly against a certain candidate.

please post the candidate, the party, the 'promise' and if you think it's good/bad, and reasons why.

I would start however I'm at work, and I don't have the fliers with me, and work internet pages are not doing what I'd like...
but Tom Chance, George Whale, and Martin Powell Davies all seem to have some ideas that are actually quite good, but also some terrible ideas that I realy wouldn't want them to try to get in.
leenewham

Re: Lewisham and West Penge candidates

Post by leenewham »

I might put this in my window

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/lee ... .jpg[/img][/url]
mosy

Post by mosy »

Mr Miliband is due on LBC 97.3FM at 5.00pm today Fri, to be interviewed by Iain Dale.

I'll be happy if he answers rather than avoids questions.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Darn, I wish I'd known.

Is it usual for a Labour candidate to be interviewed by someone as openly (I'd almost say rabidly, but time may have mellowed him) Conservative as Iain Dale? If so, who are Labour providing to interview Cameron?
Thorpian

Post by Thorpian »

almost any BBC journalist can fill that role Alywin
mosy

Post by mosy »

To be fair, Iain kept quiet (well ish) as the PM-in-waiting was being quizzed by callers with Iain just doing a Paxman to press for more detailed or direct answers. It was only about 20 mins given trailers etc so not long at all. Mr Miliband let himself down IMO by his answer on what he valued about Britain/England, to which he said something like fair values, loveley countryside and something else completely inconsequential.

The big questions in voters, being (1) immigration refugees: he said it wasn't really his call being only one of the countries affected, and (2) detailed budget cuts: nothing said about detail because it was impossible as the opposition didn't have the account books in front of them but would once in government. The latter is very probably true as no sitting government would give access to all their financial workings to their opposition.

I imagine that the foreign aid budget will become more prominent too after William Hague agreed when questioned this week that money given probably hadn't reached those for whom it was intended, plus the earthquake in India overnight will no doubt have the treasury crunching numbers apace.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thorpian wrote:almost any BBC journalist can fill that role Alywin
Tee hee. You should be watching the spoof "W1A" (the BBC headquarters postcode) on BBC2 (Thursdays). It's on iPlayer if you missed it. That is more about incompetence than any political bent.

On topic, I'm not sure it'd make much difference who interviews Cameron as a lot of his backbenchers don't even agree with some of his policies.

That said, a Joe Public working man was interviewed as a snippet who said that they'd not been affected or even noticed the last five years of austerity measures so would continue to vote the Tories. Lucky him eh?
SquashedCommuter

Post by SquashedCommuter »

JRobinson wrote:I would start however I'm at work, and I don't have the fliers with me, and work internet pages are not doing what I'd like...
but Tom Chance, George Whale, and Martin Powell Davies all seem to have some ideas that are actually quite good, but also some terrible ideas that I realy wouldn't want them to try to get in.
Statistically these candidates have no chance of getting elected and this is a safe Labour seat. There is very low risk that the "terrible ideas" will happen, but some possibility that the good issues they stand for will be noticed by the party who does get in, particularly if the views might threaten their vote share in the future.

What you could do is take the most important issues to you and vote the party that matches them the most. Then forget everything else.

I'll probably vote George Whale as he stands for free speech. This was the first of the ten point plan that Jim Dowd shockingly used as a reason for not attending the hustings. This is from the man who voted to introduce identity cards. It can be considered as the most effective protest vote as George Whale was the one in the campaign who exposed Jim Dowd as anti-democratic and anti-free speech.

He might only get 1 vote, he might get 10, he might even get 100 votes. It doesn't matter to me. What matters is that my protest against Jim Dowd and for democracy and free speech is recorded.

Do your duty for England.

stuart

Post by stuart »

SquashedCommuter wrote:I'll probably vote George Whale as he stands for free speech.
You mean the guy who wants to ban the call to prayer?

Stuart
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Intrestingly enough I spent yesterday an today in Braodstairs down kent a town ive always liked got a few mates there. We was in the pub last night and were talking about UKIP and their bell end of a leader (he standing for MP there) and I mentioned that they maye be a bunch of arses but that Liberty GB was worse and hey presto one of my mates mates turns out to know Goerge Whal went to school with him in S London and say he was a nasty piece of work even then. Always banging on about blacks and asians and irish (but used much more racist language the words starting with n and p and p) always telling everyone how Britain was in danger of bein swamped by foregners and nobody liked him. My mates mates brother even stol a girldfriend off him back in teh day!!!!
SquashedCommuter

Post by SquashedCommuter »

stuart wrote:
SquashedCommuter wrote:I'll probably vote George Whale as he stands for free speech.
You mean the guy who wants to ban the call to prayer?

Stuart
I wouldn't class that noise as speech anymore than playing load offensive music in public is free speech.

A few trashy cartoons, however, might class under free speech. Not sure where these stand under Labour's "Islamophobia" law.
somerandombloke

SquashedCommuter wrote:I wouldn't class that noise as speech anymore than playing load offensive music in public is free speech.
Better ban chruch bells too i hate that awful din.
stuart

Post by stuart »

SquashedCommuter wrote:Not sure where these stand under Labour's "Islamophobia" law.
If there were such a law then your posts wouldn't be here would they?
Well that presumes you know what Islamophobia actually means.

Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

Just a reminder for tomorrow of the 2010 Election Result in case you are into tactical voting:

Jim Dowd: The Labour Party Candidate 18,501​ Elected​
Alex Feakes: The Liberal Democratic Candidate 12,673
Chris Phillips: The Conservative Party​ Candidate 11,489​
Peter Staveley: UK Independence Party (UKIP)​ 1,117​
Romayne Phoenix: The Green Party​​ 931

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

are you suggesting that if you want Jim Dowd out, then the best person to vote for would be the person who came second last time - Alex Feakes, the Lib Dem Candidate?

I personally think that's a great idea.
somerandombloke

I had a breef chat with that Tom Chance at CP station an he seemed like a totally nice chap. Still aint gonna vote for him. No idea who i will be i wish there was a box marked none of the above.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think there are three decent candidates who could split any anti-Jim Dowd vote between them nicely.
stuart

Post by stuart »

JRobinson wrote:are you suggesting that if you want Jim Dowd out, then the best person to vote for would be the person who came second last time - Alex Feakes, the Lib Dem Candidate?
I'm not suggesting or recommending anybody. I have the opposite problem with Alex. I like him very much. It is his party leader I have issues with going back years ... so no easy decision for me.

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

presumably if enough people don't vote for Jim Dowd by not voting at all or by voting for any other candidate, then someone else will win.
ideally though you'd want people who used to vote for Jim Dowd to all vote for the same other person, and the most likely to win, based on the last election, would be Alex Feakes, Lib Dem.
but AF could still win if enough of the labour voters vote for any other candidate that isn't JD.

in my opinion, it's unfortunate but I think that JD majority is too great this time to overcome - but it'll be close.