176 and 197 bus on diversion?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

176 and 197 bus on diversion?

Post by alywin »

As I attempted to go up to town on the bus this evening, I noticed a sign up Crystal Palace Park Road indicating a diversion from 8 pm this evening. It looks as though Lawrie Park Road won't be served by buses, so I'm guessing they'll go all the way up to the top and then down Westwood Hill.

Is there anything at the bus stops to give more info?
Smiffy

Re: 176 and 197 bus on diversion?

Post by Smiffy »

Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

It's interesting that the sewer works on the railway bridge has not been mentioned on this forum. For anyone interested, I stopped to ask the Thames Water guys what was going on about 10 days ago and got the following information.

There has been the danger of a collapsed sewer under the railway line, under the railway bridge. This has been monitored 24 hours a day for about 3 weeks. I was invited to have a look at the screen (but they wouldn't let me have a screen grab!). If the offending brick, 3-parts dislodged from the Victorian brickwork, had moved further sewage would have been immediately diverted from its current route into the Venner Road sewer while the existing sewer was shut down and repaired. Trains would have stopped running.

As it is the brick has remained in situ and a planned closure of the existing sewer from halfway up Westwood Hill will happen over this weekend. I was told it will take 27 hours while a sleeve is inserted into the existing Victorian sewer and that there will be no trains running on this line during this period. Buses have been diverted in preparation. If all goes well - and, for all or sakes, please let it go well - Thames Water will be clear of the area by mid-week. Buses and trains should be back to "normal" sooner.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Thanks, Pat. I didn't even know about the sewer works until the other week when I needed to get a bus up to CP. Had I known, I'd have gone Penge-wards and saved myself a lot of trouble!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Thanks for the news on the diversion. Very handy so on returning to London last night we jumped off the 176 at Cobb's Corner. An enormous and complex operation was in process. Tankers everywhere sucking up, well let's not go there ...

The surprise was that subversives had clearly taken control of Lawrie Park Road earlier in the day. All along the closed part of the road were chalk drawings plus chalk goal posts and a sign to take spare chalks (free) and do your own thing. A road reclaimed by the people for a day!

Nice.

Stuart
_HB

Post by _HB »

Beautiful

Ban through traffic on the High St. No need for it.