Fishy Question

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Hissing Syd

Fishy Question

Post by Hissing Syd »

Does anyone know of a local chippy where you can buy whitebait? I know there's one in Brockley, but we don't drive a car - just walk everywhere - so that's a bit too far.

Just thought I'd ask as very partial to a bit of whitebait. Answers on a fishfinger, please. Thanks!
JMLF

Re: Fishy Question

Post by JMLF »

Not quite answering your question but the sylvan post does whitebait as a starter/snack on its menu. P-retry delicious. Can't say I know of any chippies locally that do I'm afraid.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Is there still a fresh fish van at Forest Hill station on Thursday's? If so he might be able to help, or try Billings on Sydenham High St. Both can probably order it in for you, and you could probably get you favourite chippy to cook it for you, if they're nice.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thank you both for your replies. That's a damned good idea re Billings. I shall stick my head in and if they can get hold of them I shall toss them into my wok.

Cheers!
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Whitebait is on the menu at The Bridge. Very tasty it is too.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I think many places no longer sell it, because it's not sustainable. But M&S in Beckenham had it last week. Already prepared for cooking.
Pally

Post by Pally »

gerispringer wrote:Whitebait is on the menu at The Bridge. Very tasty it is too.
Yes The Bridge ones are delicious. As are the M&S ones. As you can see I am a whitebait fan!!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Sustainability is the big problem as I understand it, because they are small fish not yet able to reproduce (so cutting off future generations) and also at that size it's not always clear which species is being caught. Link here: http://www.fishonline.org/fishfinder?fish=whitebait

Might be a better idea to develop a taste for something else methinks. I noticed that Billings have squid at the moment - very good for tempura'd calamari. I'd get them to clean and slice it for me as their knives are a lot sharper than mine for cutting it thinly.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

mosy wrote:Sustainability is the big problem as I understand it, because they are small fish not yet able to reproduce (so cutting off future generations) and also at that size it's not always clear which species is being caught. Link here: http://www.fishonline.org/fishfinder?fish=whitebait

Might be a better idea to develop a taste for something else methinks. I noticed that Billings have squid at the moment - very good for tempura'd calamari. I'd get them to clean and slice it for me as their knives are a lot sharper than mine for cutting it thinly.
Squid tends to be very good value for money too. Nice stuffed and baked
mosy

Post by mosy »

Courtesy of another forum, I've just learned that strips of fresh mackerel can be used for pretend whitebait. This video from the Hairy Bikers shows how: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0174n9h
It includes a lot on the sauce but does show how the fish should be cut and battered for frying.

Billings have fresh mackerel from time to time incidentally.
NB: You must use mackerel super fresh - it's definitely not a fish that you can leave in the fridge for a couple of days - can't stress that enough.

@ robbieduncan: Indeed :)