Possible Burglary threat

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tompski

Possible Burglary threat

Post by Tompski »

Hello Sydenhamites!

This could be a complete over reaction but better to be cautious I say:

I live in Burghill Road , I had the doorbell ring about an hour ago ( 12:00 midday bank hol monday) there was a pretty dodgy looking young white guy with tattoos on his face and neck, some covered up with a plaster, he asked if I was the home owner to which I replied yes, I asked him what it was about and he had some vague story about working for a building company doing a promotion for work to outer walls in my street soon, but when I said yes to being the owner he said they couldn't do the work for a home owner which made no sense at all! I asked him if he had a business card to which he said he'd lost his ID but his duty manager was around the corner, he showed me a messy looking folder with a pink carbon copy slip, supposedly showing the name of the building company, but I didn't write it down. So as his rather vague story crumbled he left.
I thought this was just dodgy as hell, so came back out of my house and saw him and two others disappearing round the corner in to Mayow road, so I went inside to get my phone and then follow them, I never found them but asked a few neighbours if they had seen them or had people knocking on doors in Mayow road, but no one had seen them.
I called it in with the non emergency police number and they have been to see me and have this guys description, my next door neighbour had one of the other two guys knock at her door and described him as Asian and stocky.

Perhaps they were cold calling about building work but I was immediately suspicious and thought they were scoping houses, so I thought it would be vigilant to put this on the forum, I hope this is the right part of the forum, did anyone else speak with any of these three today?
Parker1970

Re: Possible Burglary threat

Post by Parker1970 »

Certainly sounds suspect, thanks for the heads up.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Same from me - we had a spate of actual and attempted break -ins around Lawrie park / Sydenham ave / border rd area area recently .
Much appreciated
A very good evening
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If I was touting for business I would not send a tattooed gent to try to obtain it.

Speaks for itself

You are right to be concerned.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Eagle wrote:If I was touting for business I would not send a tattooed gent to try to obtain it.

Speaks for itself

You are right to be concerned.
For someone who repeatedly claims to be tolerant of others you're very quick to judge and condemn.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Excuse me . What is intolerant .

If you are sending someone to doorstep sell then do you send someone as described by the original poster.

This is not intolerance but common sense.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We've had this conversation before, Eagle. Your feeling that tattoos reflect badly on the character of a person are no longer widely shared.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachael

The comments of the OP did not only refer to the tattoo's

I would imagine many people , like me , would not be encouraged to buy from a company with a salesperson in that state.

I was trying to be helpful in pointing out that they probably did the correct thing. Did not mean to cause any offense.
sophie

Post by sophie »

This is such a common tactic it seems. We were burgled about 3 years ago now by some young lads doing just this. We were out but they had been knocking on doors to find out who was in etc. I've learnt you can never be too careful.
bobby

Post by bobby »

Ive just had two guys knock at my door, both dressed in smart suits, when I opened it they said hello we must have the wrong address as the person we are looking for is Chinese then turned around and walked off, seemed a bit strange. Anyone else had this?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bobby

As you say very strange. How did they not know there were Chinese in the house.

I should report it
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Definitely report it - it might save someone falling for something .
Thanks for alerting everyone .
A very good evening
Nigel