Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Nigel »

Does anyone know if the film club is set to resume at the Lion ? Apart from being simply a great asset to Sydenham it would bring in more people and show the new management's commitment to the community .
A very good morning
Nigel
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

When I was in there the function room was a bit of a dumping ground as they got the rest of the pub ready to open, which is completely understandable. I spoke to the barman previously in the Dolphin and he said that they were keeping the function room and expected the film club to continue. So fingers crossed. Pop in and ask the landlord, he seems quite a nice chap.

G-man
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

They start serving food officially from tomorrow.

Had a peek at the menu the other night and it looks good.

Also heard today that the burger is fab.

HappySyd
CathyMG

Post by CathyMG »

I popped in there this evening, for the first time since the refurb, it's looking really good!

The chef popped oer to us and asked our thoughts/recommendations on the new menu..so see what happens, looks great, so far!

It does look like it is going to cater for the 'buggie brigades'? As there is a seperate menu for children, you don't really see that often in pubs...except Wetherspoons. With big gaps between the seating and tables it doe seem like they are aiming to cater to the 'middle classes', and I really really do hope it does not end up like with kids screaming, running amok and it generally being used as a play area!

The garden is still very nice indeed!

I hope it now goes from strength to strength and am really happy it has not shut down or turned into flats!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think they could nail it with the families market. We all know the Dolphin isn't too keen on children. With that crazy sign on the door. I agree children should be kept under control but the sign could be written in a friendly manner. Cherry and Ice for example had a sign outside a while ago saying "Children found wandering around alone will be given a double espresso and a kitten" which I think is brilliant! Friendly but you get the point.

Anyway, back on subject. I love it that the chef came over and asked you what you think. Shows a care for customers tastes before he's even started cooking. Will definitely give it a go. And will be suggesting it next time the family are up for a Sunday lunch visit.

G-man
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Yes that's right, families should not be allowed in pubs on the weekend for a quiet Sunday lunch. All children scream, all the time. Jeez, stay in the Dolphin if you don't like children.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Surely, it's not about not liking children. It's about being irritated by badly behaved children, ones that run around all the time and make excessive noise. But that's the fault of the parents, not the children. It's also dangerous for them to be running around but it always strikes me that when they are doing that it's me, not the parents, who is on edge for their safety.
parker

Post by parker »

Most middle class children are well behaved anyway :P It's the dregs of society whose kids will run riot but their parents won't pay the prices in these places so I think it will be fine.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Ok... popped in again tonight and the place looks nice, function room looks lovely as does the rear garden. Only complaint is that a pub with 5 handpull ales should not be offering 5 bland obvious bitters of similar strength and style in the summer. If they had any clue what they were doing and following market trends and weren't so tied to a list of big brewer suppliers, they'd should be offering:

3 paler ales - 2 quaffers + one stronger American IPA style one
1 session bitter
1 stronger darker ale / porter / stout
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Completely agree on the Beer front Bovine Juice. Just all a bit boring. I think it might be the tied thing. Although they should still be able to get SIBA beers, as they are an Enterprise Inn and most of the great micros are SIBA members. I think I've mentioned this on a previous post.

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I went in last Friday.

Positives:
The garden is nice, the carpet is gone, the original bar is still there, the outside looks nicer, it felt fairly busy on the outside.

Negatives:
Loud music, feel bare, too open and unfinished inside, lack of choice regarding ales and stouts and more interesting offerings, strange and naff led lights above bar, pool table gone, some of the snugs gone, prices higher than before, a lot less character than before.

Overall it feels like a work in progress, a bit like they ran out of money and decided to open anyway. It's a bit like it doesn't really know what it wants to be. I'm not sure if I'd take my little one in there but I may venture in again and try the food. But competition is strong from other pubs like the Dolphin, Sylvan Post (which would have been a good model for this), Dulwich Wood House, Goldsmiths, Bridge House, Paxton, Honor Oak, Rossendale, Tulse Hill Hotel etc, all of which are angled towards a particular market.

I hope it works out, perhaps they will react to feedback and adapt the pub so it fits a little better with their customers.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

parker wrote:Most middle class children are well behaved anyway :P It's the dregs of society whose kids will run riot but their parents won't pay the prices in these places so I think it will be fine.
:-) There was once a bookshop in Hampstead which had a sign on the door "Children of progressive parents are not welcome in this store"

Regards
Chris
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

I had lunch with my Mum on Friday and it was fab.

Steak for me and chicken for mum. Would go back and try the burger, that looked good too.

The chef used to work at The Telegraph in Forest Hill and under Mark Hix.

I'd like to see the food take off - healthy competition for The Dolphin.

HappySyd
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

HappySyd wrote:I had lunch with my Mum on Friday and it was fab.

Steak for me and chicken for mum. Would go back and try the burger, that looked good too.

The chef used to work at The Telegraph in Forest Hill and under Mark Hix.

I'd like to see the food take off - healthy competition for The Dolphin.

HappySyd
That's great news Happy Syd. Definitely going to check it out. Mark Hix too. Impressive.

G-man
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

Let us know your thoughts G-Man.

The pictures of the Sunday lunch looked good too.

Oh and I can highly recommend the Scoth Egg, but at £5 I think the price is a bit steep.

HappySyd
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

HappySyd wrote:Let us know your thoughts G-Man.

Oh and I can highly recommend the Scoth Egg, but at £5 I think the price is a bit steep.

HappySyd
Hmmm scotch egg. I love a scotch egg.

Pictures of Sunday Lunch? Don't tell me their are pictures on the menu? I find that odd. I know in many cultures it isn't but to me it's weird.

G-man
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

G-Man wrote:
HappySyd wrote:Let us know your thoughts G-Man.

HappySyd
Hmmm scotch egg. I love a scotch egg.

Pictures of Sunday Lunch? Don't tell me their are pictures on the menu? I find that odd. I know in many cultures it isn't but to me it's weird.

G-man
Japan goes one better. They often have 3d models of the food in cases. Which is really helpful if you can't read Japanese :)
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ha Ha Robbie!

And Syd - I found the pics on Twitter. All looks really good. Excited about eating there. Will report back.

Here's the chef's twitter feed if you're interested: https://twitter.com/headchefgolden

One thing though, went to 161 the other night. They have one beer on tap. Keg. A Canopy IPA it was on Tuesday. I had a pint and for me it summed up what both the Dolphin and the Golden Lion are doing wrong beer wise - so much more interesting than any beer on their pumps - unless things have changed in the last two weeks.

G-man
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

Hi G-Man

I was going to say I saw the food pics on the chef's Twitter page too.

It was my other half who raved about the scotch egg (and believe me he's tried a few in his lifetime and makes a mean one himself too) :D

HappySyd
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Anyone know if there are plans for live music? Was in there on monday eve but forgot to ask the barman.

I enjoyed sitting in the right hand bar room an looking at the neon signs for Lidl etc framed by the stripped brick wall and corner fireplace. Felt kind of cosy. Nice finely sanded tables too.

I hadn't noticed the boarded up smashed window on the left of the door before, apparently it will cost £7 grand to get it replaced, curved etched glass. They are the really nice bit of the pub though that attracts the punters.

Hmmm, that and cheap beer.