Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Eagle »

Tubs

Cheap beer ? Only if good quality

Much rather pay more for decent pint.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Tubby wrote:
I hadn't noticed the boarded up smashed window on the left of the door before, apparently it will cost £7 grand to get it replaced, curved etched glass. They are the really nice bit of the pub though that attracts the punters.
They should speak to this guy:
http://davidadriansmith.com

He's the best glass cutter in the UK (in my estimation) and does curved etched glass. I don't know of anyone else that does curved glass, although these guys may also do it: http://brilliantsigns.co.uk

If anyone knows the owners it might be worth asking them if these guys could help.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Of course I meant the left hand side of the door as you go out...

Good beer doesn't have to be expensive does it? As long as it tastes alright, the company is good and my head go a bit cloudy then I'm happy. I like beer but I'm no conoisseur.

Would like to spend more time in pubs but it's becoming quite serious money to go out with friends and buy pints.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Tubby wrote:Of course I meant the left hand side of the door as you go out...

Good beer doesn't have to be expensive does it? As long as it tastes alright, the company is good and my head go a bit cloudy then I'm happy. I like beer but I'm no conoisseur.

Would like to spend more time in pubs but it's becoming quite serious money to go out with friends and buy pints.
Good ale is frequently cheaper than "premium" lager
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Robbie . Drinking lager is a fools game . Most are tasteless and vastly overpriced.

Good guest real ales are usually 2.20 a pint in Penge . I accept Wetherspoon not everyones cup of tea but there are many local pubs serving good real ale.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Yeah I think one if the reasons I developed a taste for ale is that it was generally cheaper! Not so much these days. Over 4 quid a pint just feels a bit steep when you can get a bottle to drink at home for under half the price. Spose the pubs being less busy means prices have to go up to keep them afloat. It's about the same prices as the Dolphin, right? Other than no arsey signs about bringing your kids in, the place doesn't feel quite as 'premium'. Kind of hoped it would be more affordable.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Tubs
Four pounds a pint a disgrace when Wetherspoon makes a profit at selling niche beers in Penge at 2.20 a pint.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Apologies for being the boring voice of unsubstantiated reason (you'll see what I mean in a minute!) - I'm one for cheaper pints (as most people would I imagine) and feel a bit jipped when pints start getting towards £4 or more.

However, not withstanding my Zero knowledge about the firm that run the golden lion, wetherspoons is a huge business that make their money across a range of items and likely being able o buy in substantial bulk across their hundreds of pubs across UK (thousands?). I seem to remember reading somewhere that they sell drinks for so cheap and make hardly anything off them as their money makers are in things like crisps/nuts and particularly fruity machines. It was a little article saying that fruities etc should be removed by some customers wanting a nicer environment and the head of wetherspoons saying they could do but as a direct result would have to put up prices of beer/ale.
In addition, I assume the golden lion are placing themselves against their competitors and are maybe around or slightly cheaper than the dolphin?

Again, as said, all unsubstantiated but I believe that there is a good reason why wetherspoons ales are so cheap and its to get customers in the door. They likely don't make any or much profit off those drinks from this article I read a while back.
John J Rambo

Post by John J Rambo »

JMLF wrote:Apologies for being the boring voice of unsubstantiated reason (you'll see what I mean in a minute!) - I'm one for cheaper pints (as most people would I imagine) and feel a bit jipped when pints start getting towards £4 or more.

However, not withstanding my Zero knowledge about the firm that run the golden lion, wetherspoons is a huge business that make their money across a range of items and likely being able o buy in substantial bulk across their hundreds of pubs across UK (thousands?). I seem to remember reading somewhere that they sell drinks for so cheap and make hardly anything off them as their money makers are in things like crisps/nuts and particularly fruity machines. It was a little article saying that fruities etc should be removed by some customers wanting a nicer environment and the head of wetherspoons saying they could do but as a direct result would have to put up prices of beer/ale.
In addition, I assume the golden lion are placing themselves against their competitors and are maybe around or slightly cheaper than the dolphin?

Again, as said, all unsubstantiated but I believe that there is a good reason why wetherspoons ales are so cheap and its to get customers in the door. They likely don't make any or much profit off those drinks from this article I read a while back.
Exactly. Why do you think student bars can sell booze so cheap? Because the NUS also has a huge buying consortium called NUSSL, of which most student bars are members. My old college bar sold lager at 1.50 a pint in 2011 which included a 43%ish profit margin. Granted there was no rates or rent but it shows how cheap this stuff can be bought. Saying that our biggest % margin was on Coke off the gun. Single figures pence a pint that cost.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I was under the impression that Wetherspoons do get their beer significantly cheaper not only because of their buying power but the nature of their business - which is much higher volume through the pumps than most landlords can match. This means they can buy late and still get through the barrel before it goes stale. So for brewers who have too much stock Wetherspoons are the difference between selling for what they are prepared to offer or pouring it down the drain.

Or have I been misinformed? Anyway in 2012 I was paying £2.05 for Greene King Abbott in Aberystwyth Wetherspoons served very nicely. Which made last week's visit to the GL quite painful in comparison.

Stuart
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

stuart wrote:I was under the impression that Wetherspoons do get their beer significantly cheaper not only because of their buying power but the nature of their business - which is much higher volume through the pumps than most landlords can match. This means they can buy late and still get through the barrel before it goes stale. So for brewers who have too much stock Wetherspoons are the difference between selling for what they are prepared to offer or pouring it down the drain.

Or have I been misinformed? Anyway in 2012 I was paying £2.05 for Greene King Abbott in Aberystwyth Wetherspoons served very nicely. Which made last week's visit to the GL quite painful in comparison.

Stuart
I've heard this too
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

As long as nobody starts peddling the urban myth that Wetherspoons only sells stale beer. The 'spoons in Penge sells fantastic ale - about 16 on draught most nights - for around £2.25 a pint. I drink more often in the Goldsmiths for atmosphere these days but for quality and price the Moon and Stars is unbeatable.

One problem many pubs have is they are tied houses. Enterprise pubs, of which there are many locally, sell beer to their landlords at an inflated rate. There's no way these pubs can compete on price when they are already buying it in for more than the local 'spoons pubs. Add the dull choice they are offered it's a miracle any survive. Indeed many are not. I'd be amazed if the Crooked Billet and Pawleyne Arms in Penge, both Enterprise Inns, last much longer when the Moon and Stars and Maple Tree drag in all the local old school quaffers and bargain hunter and the Goldsmiths and Bridge House, the middle class professionals and foodies.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Have to agree - I was a bit sniffy about going there the first time but the beer was very good and the food was what you paid for - not great but good for the price.
It's actually a very welcoming sort of place despite its huge size - seems to be somewhere almost everyone would find confortable .
A very good evening
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Excellent Pub very well run. Like all big pubs occasional problems but dealt with quickly.

Beers best in the area. Allways good choice of niche real ales.

As Nigel said food not cordon bleu , but excellent value for money.

Thankfully no Music. Conversation is what keeps pubs going.

Congrats Moon and Stars.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think most of the points on Wetherspoon's are true on a quick scan. They do have tremendous buying power and sell higher volumes. BUT they know how to keep beer well and have tremendous choice.

Anyway, here's an interesting article on Spoons by the beer writer and blogger Pete Brown.

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12 ... oming.html

Back on track - Contrary to popular belief beer has always been more expensive in the Golden Lion than the Dolphin. Both are Enterprise Inns (although Lee doesn't believe me), so both have to buy their beer through Enterprise who charge a premium for their beer. Not sure how long this will last for.

Did anyone go in the Lion this weekend? I noticed they were advertising Sunday lunch but also the fact that football was on. Did they contain the sport to one bar or have TVs on everywhere? I'm not really a sports fan although watch the odd international and Wales play rugby now and then - so I was concerned it was not going to be a place for me to go, especially in the footy season. I'm not bothered by this by the way (so concerned may not be the right word - I guess I just want choice), I'll just go to the Dolphin, but would like to know what others think?

Cheers

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd also like to know if they are still playing loud music. It's a big turn off for me too (we were looking for somewhere for a brainstorming meeting over a bit to eat and ended up going to the excellent Crystal Palace Market instead of Sydenham).

In case someone is wondering why G-Man is saying I don't believe him, for the record, this isn't exactly what I think. The people who own and run The Dolphin are called 'Inn Public' who also own the Dartmouth Arms and another in East Dulwich. G-Man says that he spoke to someone who says that the Dolphin is sub let from Enterprise or tied to them. I don't dispute this and it may well be true. So in truth the Dolphin is run by Inn Public, but may have some connection in some way with Enterprise.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee I am in total agreement. I go to the Pub to converse and the good old Moon and Stars has no music of any kind.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote: In case someone is wondering why G-Man is saying I don't believe him, for the record, this isn't exactly what I think. The people who own and run The Dolphin are called 'Inn Public' who also own the Dartmouth Arms and another in East Dulwich. G-Man says that he spoke to someone who says that the Dolphin is sub let from Enterprise or tied to them. I don't dispute this and it may well be true. So in truth the Dolphin is run by Inn Public, but may have some connection in some way with Enterprise.
See, you don't believe me really do you, as they DO have a connection to Enterprise. :lol:

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I believe it's possible, but I think to say that they are an Enterprise Inn is, er, a bit misleading.

So I do believe that there is a connection, but it seems as if no-one knows exactly what it is. How many pints had you had when you asked them though G-Man? Hmm, eh? Come on, own up… :D
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Actually I was also told by 2 different managers at 2 Inn Public Pubs that they are connected to Enterprise Inns.