Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by leenewham »

Look forward to trying the new Menu. Glad you are better Richard!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Hi Richard
Has the pub advertised on Gumtree again? Or tried the website Indeed?

Are there any catering colleges where students would like to make cash in their spare time?

Perhaps a call to the local job centre?
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Spoken to croydon college and waiting on a response
Nothing much on job center chefs are shy at the moment
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Hello everyone
I know that forrest hill do a fashion week but dose sydenham do one and if so who do I speek to
Richard
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

robbieduncan wrote:New Menu:

https://flic.kr/p/xVEAhA
Menu looks good.

"Apple moose" should, I'm presuming, be apple mousse.
And it's chilli con carne, not chili con carnie.

But it all sounds v. tasty
biscuitman1978

Golden Lion pub

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Richardm wrote:Hello everyone
I know that forrest hill do a fashion week but dose sydenham do one and if so who do I speek to
Richard
As far as I know there's no Sydenham Fashion Week.

Forest Hill Fashion Week is organised by SEE3, so it may be a useful starting point. See http://www.see3.co.uk/
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Apologies for the typos
Soon to be proofed my dyslexia gets the better of me some times
Thanks for the leeds on fashion week
Head chef
Richard morgan
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Sunday roast now being served come and try the lamb shank it's incredible if I don't say so myself
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I'll be there with 10 friends at 4.30. Save us some!! (I'm very much looking forward to you making your own chips, the only place I know does them is Maria's cafe in The Cut at Waterloo - its a long way to go).
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

What did you think?
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Think of ?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Wondered what savvy thought of your chips!
marianne

Post by marianne »

Hi Richard - I called in to the Golden Lion yesterday with two friends for the first time since the pub reopened. Very impressed with the new decor so we decided to stop and have lunch. We were the only three customers in the place at 12.30 and we happily ordered the Lamb Stew which was one of the 'specials' on the blackboard. We waited for roughly 20 minutes when a member of staff then arrived to apologise and inform us that there was "no Lamb Stew". I just cannot understand why this dish was offered in an empty pub and we couldn't have it! Very disappointing I'm afraid.
Richardm

Post by Richardm »

Hi I apologise about the lamb stew
I wasn't in at the time so couldn't fully comment but from what I believe one of the owners wasnt happy with it and that is the reason why it wasn't served love to invite you back for lunch some time.
fmgibbs

Post by fmgibbs »

Wanted to write a quick post to say how delighted we were with the food we had last Sunday. Called in for a Sunday roast, and I have to say it's one of the best I've had in a longtime.

I went with the beef, which I have to say was perfectly cooked, still a little pink in the middle, and the choice of trimmings was excellent, it all felt very homemade - fresh carrots, cauliflower cheese, and greens, really delicious. Well done Richard and team!
pip

Post by pip »

Hi fmgibbs

You will be suprised to know that your roast was actually cooked by new chef Charlie and his team last sunday. Richard left the Golden Lion the sunday before and now works at the Signal (formerly the Hob) in Forest Hill.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I'm not that surprised Richard left ....he seemed to get zilch support for his advertising and reporting on developments and great responses ...on this site. But of course I am only surviving and there may have been other reasons. I will try his new place of work anyway.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Husband and I had half a roast chicken in The Signal on Friday night, it was really really good. Very moist and so much of it - we brought half of ours home and had it again on Saturday. Staff very friendly and professional too. We will definitely be back.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Paid my 2nd visit to GL last Saturday eve, hoping for dinner. The pub was half empty and lit so brightly it doesn't give any warmth or create an atmosphere you want to stay in. Such a shame. The staff were aplenty but poor customer service. We sat with a menu on our table for a good 30 mins but nobody bothered asking if we wanted to order food. Rugby on large tv but no viewers. We left after one drink and ate at the Dolphin. I am willing the GL to succeed but they need encourage people to stay and spend money! Better lighting, friendly staff would be a good start.